Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am rebuilding my 1st 1966 FE 410.
I have the engine completely torn down and cataloged.
All the #'s are coming out to be stock, with minor ware. For ex.

Bore = 4.054"
Stoke = 3.98"
Bore Spacing = 4.63"
Crankshaft Main journal Dia.= 2.749"
Crankshaft Rod Journal Dia. = 2.438"

Block = C6ME-A (Mercury Block)
Heads = C6AE-R
Intake = C6AE-9425-G (4-Barrel) – Holley 4100 - 600 CFM, Vacuum Secondary’s.
C6 Automatic Transmission
Gear Ratio = Open (2.80:1)

Here is my intent for this motor/car. I am building it for my sons High School Graduation gift summer 2013. Thus, I want a solid everyday driver, with a mean sounding cam. So, here are my questions...

1. What cam manufacture & specs do you recommend?
2. Should I go with a Hydro Flat, or Roller, Solid Roller cam?
3. I need website links for getting good rebuild kits.

Thanks in advance!!!
Nate - aka (KRAZN8)
Irving Texas

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I am rebuilding my 1st 1966 FE 410. I picked up a Barn find Galaxie for, get this ($250) It apparently had been sitting in a barn for 28 years in South Fort Worth, Texas. Now. those of you who know engine codes will know right off the bat that Galaxies' did not come with a block casting # with the letter "M", thus I believe this to be an engine swap in the 70's-80's
Sure they did.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK maybe they did put Mercury engines in Galaxies. I am not certain. However, what I really need help with are the list of questions I posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I am rebuilding my 1st 1966 FE 410. I picked up a Barn find Galaxie for, get this ($250) It apparently had been sitting in a barn for 28 years in South Fort Worth, Texas. Now. those of you who know engine codes will know right off the bat that Galaxies' did not come with a block casting # with the letter "M", thus I believe this to be an engine swap in the 70's-80's

Anyways, I have the engine completely torn down and cataloged - All the #'s are coming out to be stock, with minor ware. For ex.

Bore = 4.054"
Stoke = 3.98"
Bore Spacing = 4.63"
Crankshaft Main journal Dia.= 2.749"
Crankshaft Rod Journal Dia. = 2.438"

Block = C6ME-A (Mercury Block)
Heads = C6AE-R
Intake = C6AE-9425-G (4-Barrel) – Holley 4100 - 600 CFM, Vacuum Secondary’s.
C6 Automatic Transmission
Gear Ratio = Open (2.80:1)

Here is my intent for this motor/car. I am building it for my sons High School Graduation gift summer 2013. Thus, I want a solid everyday driver, with a mean sounding cam. So, here is my first of many questions to come....

1. What cam manufacture & specs do you recommend?
2. Should I go with a Hydro cam, Mechanical Cam, or Solid cam?
3. I need website links for getting good rebuild kits.
4. Do I really need to waste money at the machine shop when I have the talent and tools to do a basic rebuild in my garage? Less a crack polishing machine, and a Block Milling Machine…

Thanks in advance!!!
Nate - aka (KRAZN8)
Irving Texas
for a mean soundind cam , any cam thats not correct for the rest of the build.
btw , mechanical and solid cams are the same cams . there are solid flat tappet and solid roller . plus same for hyd. cams-- flats and rollers

forgot . for FE parts..SURVIVAL MOTORSPORTS . owner is Barry R.
Barry also has a book out on FE engines

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Dan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess this forum isn't as helpful as I thought...

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Those guy's are being fun with you.

That Engine block IS a Galaxie block! It's cast for BOTH the 390 the 410 AND the 428.

Now relax and follow these instructions/suggestions.

1: Search your Intake manifold FLOW specs. Make a note of them.

2: Search your HEAD flow specs (you must measure the current valve sizes to be sure, don't just go off a book or internet reading) then get the flow Data off the heads with That size of valve.

3: Call Delta Camshaft INC in Tacoma Washington. Tell them you're running a 410, and have heads that flow X and the intake that flows X and and X CFM carburetor.

4: ASK them what they think would be the best cam profile to give you the display that you wish your son to have when driving.

It literally does NOT get any easier than this! I gave you all the info you need. You simply need to do the leg work and make a phone call.

That 410 will have PLENTY of Torque and HP for ANY young man if you simply build it stock.....

FE

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PERFECT!!!!
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
That Engine block IS a Galaxie block! It's cast for BOTH the 390 the 410 AND the 428.
It is a FORD MOTOR COMPANY passenger car engine block. It was shared by FORD-BIRD-MERC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts