Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I had posted in the new member intro page but figured I should start a thread for my 63. I want to do a few "upgrades" but hope to find someone, somewhere to "horse trade" with for a few parts...Lol
My speedo jumps crazy. Thankfully it did calm down a hair with the new back wheels but still jumps.
I had assumed that the gear was broken or missing a tooth. I removed the speedo gear to inspect. It is a new 18t gray gear. Does anyone know if that is OEM or been swapped on a C6??
I wondered if I could swap out for a 16 or 17t and it help correct the speedo? I had also removed and reinstalled the cable itself from the cluster. The misses hates the jumping needle and I need to fix that....Lol
Thank you for any input you may have on this small issue.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Could be a bad speedometer head, mine was jumping along time ago so I pulled the core out of the cable and very lightly greased it, solved the problem. Be careful with the amount of grease as the grease can work it's way up to the head and sling out into the speedometer.
What parts do you need and what will you trade?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a bad speedometer head,

I would hate that if that is the case. The interior was done at some point...Lol

·
Administrator
21,638 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out my speedo. I've changed the housing once. The first cable change i didn't oil it and it lasted like 6 yrs only bouncing when going around 25 mph, when it quit i put another in but dummy me oiled it then it got cremated on the exhaust. The last 2 times though i did everything right and it jumps at 25 and slower. I think I did better without oil. The gear on the trans end has been changed a couple times to different teeth numbers and last time it was just gone. Not sure which end to mess with but do have another low mile speedo gauge to replace that part if needed but just hate the thought of doing all that. My GPS has been used a lot in between times as a speedometer!

I do remember in the beginning with the longest lasting one, doing some McGuyver thing with the head using an ink pen part and washer as the cable wouldn't reach far enough to turn make good contact with the gear on the other end. Maybe now it's an issue, have no idea. Maybe the head needs a little tiny bit of oil? Never hear anyone say but maybe that could be the issue on yours as well as mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still trying to figure out my speedo. I've changed the housing once. The first cable change i didn't oil it and it lasted like 6 yrs only bouncing when going around 25 mph, when it quit i put another in but dummy me oiled it then it got cremated on the exhaust. The last 2 times though i did everything right and it jumps at 25 and slower. I think I did better without oil. The gear on the trans end has been changed a couple times to different teeth numbers and last time it was just gone. Not sure which end to mess with but do have another low mile speedo gauge to replace that part if needed but just hate the thought of doing all that. My GPS has been used a lot in between times as a speedometer!

I do remember in the beginning with the longest lasting one, doing some McGuyver thing with the head using an ink pen part and washer as the cable wouldn't reach far enough to turn make good contact with the gear on the other end. Maybe now it's an issue, have no idea. Maybe the head needs a little tiny bit of oil? Never hear anyone say but maybe that could be the issue on yours as well as mine.

That is the part Im afraid of, the actual head unit.....
My speedo is original of course but it sure seems like a P.I.T.A to get the cluster even out...Lol I had ordered an "OEM" factory manual.
I must give props for the advice on the oem clock. I contacted "Clock works" and they are restoring my clock. I was quoted 69.95, not the 49.95 advertised on their site or from '13 but still seems to be a great price to finally have my clock work again... and in restored condition.

Does anyone happen to have a pic of the tail light wires on a 63? For some dang reason a p.o had disconnected the back up lights and cut off the plugs. I want to reinstall the back up but would love to see an actual pic of the wires at the bucket.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My speedo jumps crazy. Thankfully it did calm down a hair with the new back wheels but still jumps.
I had assumed that the gear was broken or missing a tooth. I removed the speedo gear to inspect. It is a new 18t gray gear. Does anyone know if that is OEM or been swapped on a C6??
I wondered if I could swap out for a 16 or 17t and it help correct the speedo? I had also removed and reinstalled the cable itself from the cluster. The misses hates the jumping needle and I need to fix that....Lol
Thank you for any input you may have on this small issue.
I would think some white lithium grease would work well on the speedo cable. My speedo is 8 mph slow. I'm thinking a smaller gear. Concours has 16, 17, 18, 20, and 21 tooth gears. But I haven't looked at mine yet to see what I have.

·
Administrator
21,638 Posts
If you look in the thread "Drop Box" there is a manual you can download or should be able to.

I got my gears off ebay. It was like $15 each at the time from the Ford dealer and I bought 2 for less on ebay so i'd have a backup.

I took my cluster out almost 20 yrs ago (wow time flies!) to paint it and wished I'd left it alone as in the end it had more scratches than it started with. I labeled each bulb. There is a tie down on top of the head part that i got loose but wasn't able to reattach it. It held the bundle of wires going over top of it. The good thing is there isn't really that many wires to deal with like a modern car. Everytime I change my speedo I have to take the cluster out part way cause i can't get my hand up in there to screw the end of the cable on because of the swingaway steering stuff under there so it gives me a little more room up there.

I have thought of changing it out as I have the low mileage one from a car my dad and I parted out but I just don't think I'm ready for that again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,
I need some more assistance. I had gotten my clock back; it looks great, works great. Major props go out to"Clockworks". Great job guys.. Thanks for the heads up from the forum member..
The issue is that the light appears not to be working. I assume the plug for the light taps into the junction female with 2 others. Anybody happen to have any pics??? The wiring diagram just shows going from bulb to junction. What am i Missing?
Anybody near have any 7" 15" oem ford wheels? A link? something. Every time I search it is always gm style wheels. I want the ford wheels so I can swap out baby moons and dog dish center caps...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, It has been quite awhile since posting but of course I do try and lurk around...lol
I happen to be having an issue that I hope some one can point in a direction. I've blocked the misses car in...lol My baby had been sitting, even more so with this virus junk. I pulled the Galaxie out to wash it the other day, all was well. Of course I decided to try and clean the engine bay some. I tried to miss any parts but of course something must have gotten wet??? Now my baby is deader than a door nail. I did get 1 click several times but now complete silence. Light comes on, battery is great, terminals cleaned 2x. My thought is that maybe the Voltage regulator or starter solenoid burnt out. What happened? Of course I didn't think to start car because I wasn't going to scrub it, just get the dust off.
Any ideas would be Greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys

·
Administrator
21,638 Posts
Did you ever get the clock figured out? I haven't seen mine out of the car in so long i had no clue when i read it. Thought a bulb poked into it somewhere like dash lights do. :)

Did you try shorting across at the solenoid to see if it turns over, if nothing then you would know it was the starter cause you bypass everything. It's straight from the battery to the starter. That's what i would try first. I'm getting old and forgetful so not sure on the regulator part if it won't start or not or how to test is. Electrical is not my specialty! Also could be something as simple as a loose wire to the starter or else where. Shoot they get water all over when driving in the rain so doesn't seem like it would be something that got wet ya know. Coincidence more likely.

·
Registered
63 convertable
805 Posts
use a screwdriver to short between the bat side and the start post on the relay . if it doesnt crank the relay is bad. if it does crank, the key switch circuit is a problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good morning guys.
Im not even going to try and lie to you ShotRod, I have not. That junction plug is still waiting on me. We had a few deaths, kids having kids and time had gotten away from me. I did swap out the rims with some I ordered from Summit I think. Doing the steel and trim rings/dog dish centers for now. I installed a ol school tach on the steering wheel(which I may have hooked up wrong cause it will drain battery in 2 days SOMEHOW)
I went out and stuck a screwdriver to the solenoid, I got maybe a half click, then silence... No click, no nothing. I am hoping the sun comes out today(weather is whack this weekend, freeze warning, etc in MAY) so I can get another to try. Gotta figure out uploading a pic of my baby.....
Thank you again for any input

·
Administrator
21,638 Posts
There's always something that gets in the way of progress!! Maybe you can just clean the connections at the starter and on the solenoid and see if that helps any. This has been the screwiest weather year. We were in the 40s and the next few days close to 80 and then i think the rain comes back again. The only nice thing about the rain is you don't want to go out then so you don't miss so much! :)
I'd say something is hooked up wrong! I really don't know much about a tach but would think a power source that only works when the key is on would fix it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its me again. Well, I guess I just wasted $30 for a seloniod. Still completely dead.
I hgave no idea what to look at now. should be battery, seloniod, starter, switch; correct?.Imma hate to buy a starter just to try it and see

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey ShotRod64, Thanks for the reply. Yes sir, the weather is crazy. It was 80 here in NC last week, now 40-50s for the next few days

·
Registered
864 Posts
Don't shotgun it.

Diagnose things first.

Do the headlights come on at full brightness?
If not then battery is dead or you have a poor/rusted/corroded connection somewhere.

What happens if you have the headlights on and then try to crank the engine?
Do the lights dim or go out?
Or stay at full brightness?

You need to check/clean connection points at more than just the battery posts.
Does the battery negative cable have a good clean solid connection to the engine block?
That's where I would start.
Check all other cables as well, both ends.

We call throwing parts at it to fix a problem "shotgunning".
Always a waste of time effort and money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't shotgun it.

Diagnose things first.

Do the headlights come on at full brightness?
If not then battery is dead or you have a poor/rusted/corroded connection somewhere.

What happens if you have the headlights on and then try to crank the engine?
Do the lights dim or go out?
Or stay at full brightness?

You need to check/clean connection points at more than just the battery posts.
Does the battery negative cable have a good clean solid connection to the engine block?
That's where I would start.
Check all other cables as well, both ends.

We call throwing parts at it to fix a problem "shotgunning".
Always a waste of time effort and money.

Hey man, Thanks for the input. Well, that the weird part. She started just fine, maybe 3 turns of engine and fires every time UNTIL I got the engine bay wet. I went out and was able to get 1/2 of a click then silence and lights went out that time. I dont think I have an extra batt to try. Maybe the misses wouldn't mind losing a battery...Lol

·
Registered
63 convertable
805 Posts
from you're description, you have a bad connection at one or more battery connections. re clean them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good evening guys...
Well, Let me start off by saying you all were right and I am a huge [email protected]#$...
I went out and cleaned everything, took stuff off to clean and put back on, undone bolts, scrubbed, replaced and the VERY LAST thing I touched, for the multiple time, today; The "quick disconnects" for the battery I saw a slight puff when seloniod was jumped again and removed them completely and low and behold she cranked right up!!!! I simply dont understand but what a blessing that was!!!
Now maybe I can get back on the plans of the intake, ect swap....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, Its me again. I wanted to try and get some advice/input of a few options for the Galaxie. Of course I have too get out if it ever stops raining, and plug in my restored clock and hope since you have seen that a lot of electrical issues are not a strong suit...Lol
1)...Well, my 1st question deals with a probable "never ending debate" of a carb. She has a stock BB 429 with a 2brl unfortunately. Since I have an Edelbrock alum intake I was thinking Edelbrock carb but am wondering if a 600 or 650cfm would be better... I checked out the calculator on their website and it mentioned a dd at around 450 cfm and a race 614cfm at 4500rpm. (Of course the center section of rear end will get attention). I dont want to small a carb of course; Im not sure of rpm, Id get on it from time to time for sure but not total racing as to my 4500 rpm. (seems she travels around 3 on the rd) I have been saving for a new carb and ready to order one.
Edelbrock is supposed to be more plug and play vs trying to tune a Holley. I know ppl have opinions on brand, I was just thinking keeping same brand throughout.

2)... My next is I also have the ability to go ahead and get a tear drop hood. I want your advice/opinion on where to get from with maybe good, Trusted shipping. I would also want it pre-drilled for the latches instead of pin-on. I would assume not all sellers would offer the drilling part. I saw a seller on eBay I believe but it was an off brand and had some iffy reviews with fitment, quality, etc.
Of course if someone has a better idea on spending the funds on without having to go deep inside the engine;), I figured the hood would be on the top of the list for sure...Lol.... Hood?... Pr of 10" rear rims?... Re-chromed front bumper?
I know there is some thing else that I am forgetting But thank you for your input and or advice in my quest of a sweeter ride.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts