Hey Jet, haven't been on the site it a long time, life got busy!!Lou,
More along the lines of giving up on the Comet for awhile. Late 2015 son and his wife had first child, a boy, our first grandchild. Then spring 2016 son graduated med school, bought house and started residency 9 hours away moving them, traveling etc took up most of my free time for awhile. Then took some big projects at shop, life was busy. Projects are done, going to see son next sat for a week or so. Then when I get back plan on getting back to the Comet.
Thanks Dennis, sooner or later I will get her done! Just wish it would be sooner lolGood to see you posting pics of your work again Lou. Your work is always Topnotch.
Thanks BrewBoy, not sure about the hood. Really wish I had the factory optional Cyclone hood.Beautiful work. Just thinking out loud here- wouldn't it be cool if the leading edges of the hood scoops matched the angle of the headlights?
Nicely done!One of the other things I needed to do before paint is the hood pins. Been going back and forth on whether I wanted hood pins for too long. I really like the clean look of no pins,,,but having experienced what can happen with out them as a driver and as a pass, plus not a fan of crites fiberglass quality I decided to go with pins.
First thought was to just replace the hood bumpers with pins. But that put the pins too far back for my liking and I really like having the bumpers to keep the hood adjusted.
First step was too position the pins where I liked them.
Made some measurements and taped the plates to the hood
Drilled the holes through top of hood. Instead of screws that loosen over time, strip out and such I wanted to bolt the plates on with nuts on the inside. Where I positioned the plates there was a rib on the underneath. So I decided to make a relief?? Area on the inner panel where I could fit a additional scuff plate to finish it somewhat, use nuts, and make it stronger.
I first made the fiberglass cups, they needed to be large enough to fit scuff plates inside. Found that the lid from a spray can of Tuff Stuff cleaner was the correct size. Took the lids, some fiberglass cloth, and resin/hardener. Sprayed the lids with mold release and made my cups.
Got a hole saw the correct size and drilled the holes into the inside hood panel.
Drilled the holes thru the cups and bolted them in place.
Then trimmed the cups to match the shape of the inner panel. Instead of using fiberglass resin to glu them in I used 3 m 08115 panel adhesive. Resin produces heat the adhesive doesn't. After all the hours I got into this hood I didn't want to risk any distorting with the heat.
Cups trimmed and glued in.
Since I moved the pins forward of the rad support I needed to make some mounts for the pins.
After making sure everything lined up and hood opened and closed with the pins in place I sprayed the underneath of the hood with two coats of epoxy
The reliefs look factory,,like they belong ther. After some flash time I spray couple coats of primer surface on the underneath of hood and it is now sitting ready for final wet sanding and paint.