Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a long search, I found a low mileage 5.0 from a 1995 Mustang which had only 65,000 miles for my 64 Falcon. I did a VIN history check ($10) before buying the motor and the miles were correct. After getting the motor home, I took the valve covers off and the oil pan off. As you can see from the pictures, I don’t think the oil was ever changed in this motor. Luckily, I made an agreement with the salvage yard that if I find anything like this, I would return the motor. I was able to get my $800 back. Since Ford don’t make pushrod V8’s anymore, salvage yard motors usually have high miles and requires a rebuild.

http://vincarhistory.com/

Say what you want but at this point, I am strongly considering GM 5.3LS which are dime a dozen with low miles going for $500-$700 with aluminum heads and makes 300 hp right out of the gate. When I took the Ford 5.0 back to the yard, it was placed right next the 5.3 LS and they are about the same size!

It’s a simple matter of economics. Thank you Ford for the mod motors.

Time to do some thinking…

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have been running junkyard 5.0 For years now and have not run across one like that. I deal with the self service yards and pull them my self for around $200 complete usally get about 5 years of beating out of one,

·
Registered
382 Posts
After a long search, I found a low mileage 5.0 from a 1995 Mustang which had only 65,000 miles for my 64 Falcon... I took the valve covers off and the oil pan off. As you can see from the pictures, I don’t think the oil was ever changed in this motor. Luckily, I made an agreement with the salvage yard that if I find anything like this, I would return the motor. I was able to get my $800 back. Since Ford don’t make pushrod V8’s anymore, salvage yard motors usually have high miles and requires a rebuild.

Say what you want but at this point, I am strongly considering GM 5.3LS which are dime a dozen with low miles going for $500-$700 with aluminum heads and makes 300 hp right out of the gate. When I took the Ford 5.0 back to the yard, it was placed right next the 5.3 LS and they are about the same size!

It’s a simple matter of economics. Thank you Ford for the mod motors.

Time to do some thinking…
So one previous owner ignores his engine and you stop looking for the 5.0? Why are there so many "Dime a dozen" 5.3 LS egines in the salvage yard and how many of them are in the same shape as the neglected 5.0? Also, why didn't you pull the valve cover before you plunked down your $$$? Would have saved you a return trip. Sounds like you really wanted the LS instead.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Looks just like a chevy engine i bought once,not many miles on it. There are some people that look at a car as some thing to get from point [A] to point and just drive until they quit,then get another one. I have had guys tell me they never change oil,just add to it and when it gets to be more than they want to ,they trade it in on a new one. So it's not any engines fault it was treated that way. Good luck on the next find Ford , Chevy, ect ,i know how you feel,been there,done that.:)

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
You find nasties like that once in a while. Yeah, it's owner related, and not engine related. So, any engine of any make you get could be that way. Have the 'yard get you a good one.

David

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BlueBird, when was the last time you saw a 5.0 pushrod with less than 10,000 miles at a salvage yard?

Yes, I do want a 5.0 pushrod motor without spending boat load of $. Just came from pic-a-part and saw several explorer 5.0 but not a single one with less than 100,000 miles on it.

Waid

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
BlueBird, when was the last time you saw a 5.0 pushrod with less than 10,000 miles at a salvage yard?

Yes, I do want a 5.0 pushrod motor without spending boat load of $. Just came from pic-a-part and saw several explorer 5.0 but not a single one with less than 100,000 miles on it.

Waid
100K is really not that big a deal ..you can get another 100K out of it easy...
5.0's are pretty durable motors...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Honestly... I haven't been in a salvage yard for a long time.

Waid
I've got one Dodge with over 150,000 on it and two Toyotas with over 225,000. Plus a Goldwing with over 130,000. All four have had regular maintenance and have been trouble free. I'm all for saving hard earned cash and I realize you cannot control how others take care of their machines, but as PSIG said, have the 'yard find you a good one.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
True. These things last forever and then some. The '97 Mountaineer 5.0L I'm using as-is for a current turbo build has 137,000 miles, but is clean inside with only some varnish coloring. The bores still show cross-hatch. The exhaust ports are so clean and dry they have light surface rust in them. I expect at least 200k even with me abusing it. A relative also has a '96 Exploder with 270k that is strong, makes no odd noises, and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I figure the valves will give him issues pretty soon though. Just get a clean one.
:tup:
David

PS: Lincoln MkVIIs use the 5.0 HO just like the Mustangs, but are usually lower mileage and better maintained. You can often get the whole car for the price of a "real Mustang motor". Other than the bigger alternator and different AC compressor, air filter setup, etc. - mechanically they are identical in every way to the 'Stang HO. Keep your eye on the local CraigsList.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, I went to another yard again today and found a 1996 Explorer with GT40 heads with 250,000 miles !!!

The motor was very clean on the outside so for kicks, I decided to pull the valve cover off to take a peak. Wow, what a clean motor with zero sludge!!! I took off one of the rockers and there is hardly any wear.

Would this be a good motor even with 250,000 miles?

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
As you can see the picks of the rocker, the oil groove is still there and the tip of the rocker still feel very smooth and no groove at all.

I would not mind installing new bearings and pistons rings on this motor if needed.

I am willing to bet that this is not the original motor but who knows.

Guys, is this motor worth $300 (Plus $100 labor for guy to pull it for me) for total of $400.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
With 250k it's near end-of-life. But it is very clean. However, I'd test it for compression and other visual clues, as the bolt heads do not look original, and the engine may have already been rebuilt. Check if the valve stems will wiggle at all. If you think they might have wiggled, you're probably OK. If you know they obviously moved, then it's probably tired.

Some yards will let you (or for you) hook a battery and jump the solenoid for a real compression test. If not, at least spin the crank over with a ratchet and feel for fairly even compression and not more than a a little hissing. I would feel better if it was from a wreck, indicating it was running when towed. Undamaged cars may have mechanical issues and be the reason for junking. Usually not, but more likely.

David

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
PSIG, it was hit in the front and the last oil changed was performed at a dealer. The spark plugs also are Motorcraft. After pulling the motor and before buying, I was going to remove the rear main bearing and inspect for any wear.

Those are not original Ford head bolts?

Waid

Attachments

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Just saw you're last reply. If you're willing to do a hone, rings, bearings and valve job (with new head bolts) if actually necessary, and it's otherwise a complete engine. You can sell the intake if you don't need it to lower your costs for example. The brackets are useful with the shorter GT40 water pump. Offhand it's probably a pretty safe bet at that level just from appearances, but you can see more than us, so it's your call.

David

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Not positive that they are not 1st assembly bolts, but they caught my eye when I saw them in the pics. You would not re-use them, but was only mentioning that it may be a clue that it's already been rebuilt. Look for more clues. The valve stem tips are also very even for not being rebuilt. There was more polishing and wear marking on my 137k engine that that one.

David

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I am going to use a Carb so don't need the GT40 intake but the engine is complete.

Are those not original Ford head bolts?

Do you think it may have been rebuilt?

Based on my last experience, I am willing to bet that the bottom is even more "cleaner" than the top on this motor. I will not know for sure until I take the oil pan off.

Waid

1 - 20 of 68 Posts