Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

221 - 234 of 234 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Fried daddy,
Did you get the small panels (XL) for the back too? Also did the courtesy lights come with your panels when you bought them? Also, the wires go into a metal 90degree bracket that keeps them safe. Mine are taken apart right now. Let me see if I can find a picture. Here is one

LH Front Door Jamb Wiring Tube Cover 1965 68 Galaxie Monterey XL 67MP1 E4 | eBay
Jim,
Yes I did get the small panels for the rear also. I had to buy my courtesy light stuff separately. I bought the actual lamp holder from a member on here. I bought the lenses/bezel from eBay. I also picked up another set of lenses off a 66 LTD four door. They have a lens in each door! The ones I bought off eBay were metal and I decided to use the metal ones because they feel better. The ones off the LTD were plastic.

Do you think thats a fair price for those pieces? I found pics on ebay of a car with them installed.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You did not say how much you paid for these items. But reguardless of the price. If you needed them and your happy. Then you paid the right price. Well within reason! I too have the courtesy lights, but the bezels are a little weathered. I have looked for newer looking ones, but no luck yet. Small stuff though, I need t get the gal running. Been wet sanding when I can, soon buffing. What a pia. Soon though, she's going back together.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
You did not say how much you paid for these items. But reguardless of the price. If you needed them and your happy. Then you paid the right price. Well within reason! I too have the courtesy lights, but the bezels are a little weathered. I have looked for newer looking ones, but no luck yet. Small stuff though, I need t get the gal running. Been wet sanding when I can, soon buffing. What a pia. Soon though, she's going back together.
They were within my price range.

Check out these courtesy light bezels from a mustang. The holes have the same spacing and the lights look exactly the same. Not sire if they are plastic or metal faces though. I was about to order these until I found mines on eBay for cheaper.
Scott Drake Door Courtesy Light Assemblies C5ZZ-13786 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Are you doing your own paint and bodywork on your car?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think the mustang courtesy light covers are smaller in size. Could be wrong, but I think that is the case. Let me know though, I need some nice ones.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
I think the mustang courtesy light covers are smaller in size. Could be wrong, but I think that is the case. Let me know though, I need some nice ones.
Check out this thread. They gave me measurements on the 65/66 Mustang lights for reference.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/mustang-pages-1965-1973/610545-need-65-66-door-courtesy-light-measurements.html

Here is what was in the eBay auction title for the lights I am using. They fit perfect.

"Lot of 2 1965 1966 Ford Mustang Thunderbird Door Courtesy Lights C5SB-13739-A
( 111415735461 )"

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Minor update to this thread to keep up with everything but I have had some major work going on. My transmission re-build is done and it's installed and ready to be tested. I have some other things I need to take care of on the car before I can try it out.

Transmission Build Thread here: http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/619586-my-cruise-o-matic-rebuild-thread.html

Here is a rough template for a center console that I am about to make to hold my gauges, cd player and two cupholders.

I got new side seals to go next to the radiator. Passenger side was very easy to change out. The drivers side may end up staying in there! The old one is sandwiched between the radiator/condenser/power steeting cooler/AC dryer.

Last but not least, I have a new rear bumper!! Special thanks to Ziggy for the bumper. This will be going on after I get some new bolts and coat the back of it with a protective paint coating.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
I have my external transmission cooler and new stainless lines ran.

Here is the block where my transmission temperature gauge is going to be located.

Remote oil filter for the transmission. Mounted on the passenger side, under the floorboard.

the stainless hose looks great coming out the side of the transmission!!

Today, I spent alot of time working on the center console. I have it all cut out and assembled and now I just have to coat it and it will be ready for install. The bad thing about mechanical gauges is the fact that I have to thread the through the console and then back to where they will read my fluid temperature.

Gauge plans are to have a total of 5 gauges.
Top row will be Coolant Temperature, Volts, Oil Pressure.
Bottom row will be Vacuum, Transmission Fluid Temperature.

Below that will be my CD player and two cupholders.

More test fitting.

Filled in all the gaps and cracks with wood filler. I originally was going to use foam and fabric for this project but due to all the angles I plan on using some kind of truck bed liner of undercoating as the finish coat for the console. I have some Rockford Fosgate 6.5's that will be going on each side of the console. I have a matching pair to go in the rear deck that still need to be installed.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Wiring up the gauges and cd player on center console.

Here is everything installed. I am very happy with the turnout. I still have to hook up the vacuum gauge and trans temp gauge but I am happy with the look of my new console.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Minor update. Nothing major. I was able to get the back side of my mew rear bumper painted. I still don't have new hardware to install it yet.

I found some full size armrests for the front. If you don't remember, my original armrests were busted and I was using some 66 mustang armrests, which were like $25 brand new. Here are some pics of the mustang armrests vs the new to me fullsize armrests that I have painted black and installed. The pad on both of these were still good. I filled in the back side of the armrest with caulking to help give it more structure.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #231 (Edited)
Rear Bumper Installation

Pitting on the old bumper.

License plate bracket on the old bumper. I had to drill two new holes in this bracket to bolt it onto the new bumper.

After I removed the old bumper, I saw this previous home-made repair. Someone must have backed into a pole or something.

Driver Side.

Passenger Side. Judging from the metal, it should be welded just like the drivers side. That will be a future project once I get a bigger work area and more free time to remove, straighten and re-weld.

Backside of old bumper.

New bumper. The hardest part about installing the new bumper was getting the alignment correct working alone. There are four brackets. I installed all of them onto the bumper finger tight, then bolted the brackets to the car finger tight. For alignment, I held it as straight as possible and tightened everything down with the other hand. I'm ready to see what this bumper looks like in some summer sunshine.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hiyah fried_daddy,

Nice job on the bumper install. It's amazing what a freshly chromed bumper can do for aesthetics :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Woop woop, good work man, glad that it worked out.

Crazy how things just come around. For everyone else- I had my car sitting in my driveway and a scrapper stopped by saying he thinks he has a bumper for my Galaxie, said he picked it up and had it re-chromed for his fairlane, but realized that it wasn't correct. Told me he tried to sell it with no success and offered it to me. Came home a week later from work and it was sitting on my porch. I thought about selling it, or squirreling it away in case I ever get in a fender bender, but it didn't feel right since it was given to me. So off to my buddy Fried. Who a week later saved my transmission. What goes around comes around I guess.

Look forward to seeing it at the end of the month!

-Zig

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Hiyah fried_daddy,

Nice job on the bumper install. It's amazing what a freshly chromed bumper can do for aesthetics :)

Cheers!
Thanks Desert!

Woop woop, good work man, glad that it worked out.

Crazy how things just come around. For everyone else- I had my car sitting in my driveway and a scrapper stopped by saying he thinks he has a bumper for my Galaxie, said he picked it up and had it re-chromed for his fairlane, but realized that it wasn't correct. Told me he tried to sell it with no success and offered it to me. Came home a week later from work and it was sitting on my porch. I thought about selling it, or squirreling it away in case I ever get in a fender bender, but it didn't feel right since it was given to me. So off to my buddy Fried. Who a week later saved my transmission. What goes around comes around I guess.

Look forward to seeing it at the end of the month!

-Zig
Thanks again for the bumper Ziggy. Now all we have to do is hope a front one just pops up out of nowhere!

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

221 - 234 of 234 Posts