Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
161 - 180 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah. I wasn't sure if they were going to have it or not because of the weather. Ended up nice, but it was a little chilly. Saw a 63 wagon there. Definitely going back next month.
Man, wish I would've known, I would've come for sure. I didn't realized they started this month. The Wagon is probably Edudu77, he's a member on here, I've been messaging him some. I doubt I'll make it next month. My wife want to go to the mountains that weekend. There's a show here in Mebane that weekend too.

Edit....

Was this it?

-Zig

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Man, wish I would've known, I would've come for sure. I didn't realized they started this month. The Wagon is probably Edudu77, he's a member on here, I've been messaging him some. I doubt I'll make it next month. My wife want to go to the mountains that weekend. There's a show here in Mebane that weekend too.

Edit....

Was this it?

-Zig
Yeah. That's it!! I'll look him up. Well, hopefully the month after you'll be able to make it. Happy wife = happy life. I have also made a trip to the mountains since I''ve been here. Lol. They are so close!!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
My old STOMPIN' GROUNDS many years ago when the Textile Industry was KING in the Southeast!!:(

Pretty country and you will enjoy it!!:D

Good Luck with the car too!!:tup:
Thanks!! I have enjoyed it so far. Yeah, I hear lots of stories about how industries have changed around here.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
I have been scanning Craigslist since I moved, over the past three months, and this past weekend I found me a new grill!! It was the next state over, but still a good excuse to take a quick weekend getaway. I was also able to get an inner fender to replace mines that has been destroyed by battery acid. I did not have a chance to change out the inner fenders. They need to be stripped down and repainted anyways so that once they are on, they will remain forever.

I got the whole front center section off the donor car. I'm glas I did because the vertical supports in the center and the hood latch is different between a regular Galaxie grill and a XL grill.

Look at how much longer this hood latch is versus a regular latch.

Regular hood latch.

Here is the finished product. I love the new look!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hello fried_daddy,

Those cast grilles really do set the whole front end of the car off don't they... It really does look very nice. Soooo much more elegant than the stamped cheesy aluminum one. We've been doing the same, scouring for really nice examples to replace the said 'stamped cheesy aluminum' ones :) remaining on our '66's too. And it seems you found a nice grille that isn't pitted to death along with the brackets, braces and latch.

You did a nice job indeed! The front of your car looks really good. Are you going to replace the turn lenses with new repro's?

On a side note did you ever fit the 4R70W?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Hello fried_daddy,

Those cast grilles really do set the whole front end of the car off don't they... It really does look very nice. Soooo much more elegant than the stamped cheesy aluminum one. We've been doing the same, scouring for really nice examples to replace the said 'stamped cheesy aluminum' ones :) remaining on our '66's too. And it seems you found a nice grille that isn't pitted to death along with the brackets, braces and latch.

You did a nice job indeed! The front of your car looks really good. Are you going to replace the turn lenses with new repro's?

On a side note did you ever fit the 4R70W?

Cheers!
Desert,
Yes, the cast grills make a huge difference. My grill has a small amount of pitting on top drivers side. But it is still in better shape than the aluminum one! I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the lenses yet. I will probably take them off and clean them up really good to see if they look presentable before I buy the reproduction ones.

As far as the 4R70W.....
I am still in the process of moving from Alabama to North Carolina. All of my tools, welder and everything I own is in storage along with some of the transmission swap parts. My car is temporarily at a relatives house for safekeeping until I have somewhere secure to park her at. Not going to start on the transmission project until I find a house up here and get my own new garage/workshop set up. I CAN'T wait until I get to start on that transmission installation. I've got it all planned out in my head over and over and over again. Lol. I already have been messing around with the tuning software on my computer also. It's a nice program. US Shift lets you download it for free off their website. I guess that's to let people figure out whether they want to use it or not.

I need to hurry up and get to where I can work on some stuff because living in an apartment with all this free time, I keep coming up with ideas of things I want to do to my car that cost money!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the XL grill on mine as well and it looks so much better than the standard grill. It came with the car when I bought it in 91 and had no idea it wasn't original. I later researched 66 Galaxies and discovered it was not the original grill. I also found a "66" in yellow marker on the bottom one of the lens splash guards so that told me it came from a parts yard. Mine has some minor pitting but it does kind of stick out next to my bumper and headlight bezels which have been re-chromed. Need to start getting an idea of how much it will cost to get the grill re-chromed, which I'm sure won't be cheap:cry:.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
I have the XL grill on mine as well and it looks so much better than the standard grill. It came with the car when I bought it in 91 and had no idea it wasn't original. I later researched 66 Galaxies and discovered it was not the original grill. I also found a "66" in yellow marker on the bottom one of the lens splash guards so that told me it came from a parts yard. Mine has some minor pitting but it does kind of stick out next to my bumper and headlight bezels which have been re-chromed. Need to start getting an idea of how much it will cost to get the grill re-chromed, which I'm sure won't be cheap:cry:.
I love the XL grill!! Was it expensive to get your headlight bezels and bumper re-chromed? I'm trying to get a price range together for future reference if I ever do decide to re-chrome all of my parts. I will def make sure I get everything in one go!!

Looks great! If you see another one, shoot me a text!!!
If I do, I'll be sure to let you know.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I love the XL grill!! Was it expensive to get your headlight bezels and bumper re-chromed? I'm trying to get a price range together for future reference if I ever do decide to re-chrome all of my parts. I will def make sure I get everything in one go!!

From what I remember, the bumpers were around $400 a piece and the bezels $100 each. I had Ogden Chrome in Ogden, Utah do the work. They were recommended by another car guy in town and I was extremely pleased with their work. They paid for all of the shipping, which was nice.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·

From what I remember, the bumpers were around $400 a piece and the bezels $100 each. I had Ogden Chrome in Ogden, Utah do the work. They were recommended by another car guy in town and I was extremely pleased with their work. They paid for all of the shipping, which was nice.
Great info to know on the pricing. Thanks. Maybe there will be a place closer when I get ready to do mines.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 · (Edited)
Got my windshield installed this morning along with some weatherstripping. I have beltline weather stripping and some roof rail weatherstripping on order. Drove to a cruise in today. Nice drive. MAJOR PROBLEM though. On the way home, I lost all the brake fluid to my rear brakes. Used the parking brake and neutral to help me get back in one piece. I am not sure what happened but I did notice a puddle of fluid by the right rear wheel in the parking lot, so when I begin to work on it, that's where I will start.

Here are some digital camera pics I took today.

Windshield installed by Safelite and new hood to cowl weatherstripping I installed this morning.

I also finally got a year of manufacture plate to go on the front of my car. Looks good!!

Hardtop panoramic view.

I will add to my list of things to do to remove and replace the rear window seal. I found out that it has a pretty serious leak during a rainstorm. There are also previous signs of attempts to stop the leak on the inside of the car. Looks like somebody went around it with a caulk gun and black window sealant.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Isn't it nice to have a clear windshield! I didn't realize how bad mine was until I had it replaced due a major wiper-related scratch. I also had a leaky trunk but mine was due to a small rust hole in the window channel at the corner. I know you are mechanically talented by all that you have shown in your posts (Far more than I am!!), but if you plan on removing the rear window, you may want to consider having an experienced glass shop remove that rear window if you don't have previous experience. Reason I'm say that is that these rear windows are unique to our year Galaxie only and are hard to find and will be very expensive to replace. Would hate to see it get cracked! Either way, good luck and keep posting pics on your progress with your car...we all look forward to seeing them!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Isn't it nice to have a clear windshield! I didn't realize how bad mine was until I had it replaced due a major wiper-related scratch. I also had a leaky trunk but mine was due to a small rust hole in the window channel at the corner. I know you are mechanically talented by all that you have shown in your posts (Far more than I am!!), but if you plan on removing the rear window, you may want to consider having an experienced glass shop remove that rear window if you don't have previous experience. Reason I'm say that is that these rear windows are unique to our year Galaxie only and are hard to find and will be very expensive to replace. Would hate to see it get cracked! Either way, good luck and keep posting pics on your progress with your car...we all look forward to seeing them!
Yes, it is very nice to be able to see clearly. Makes me want to drive the car alot more now!! I didn't drive much before because I didn't want to have impaired vision while driving. I still don't get to drive as much as I want to now because of being in the middle of moving and I have my car in safe-keeping about 40 minutes away from where I live at.

For the rear window. I know they are somewhat hard to find so I picked up a spare I found on Craigslist for a rainy day!! When window time gets here, I will take the trim pieces off to inspect for rust and asses the situation and then go from there on the removal and re-installation. I have been thinking about getting a glass company to do if for me. I asked Safelite if they could do it for me while my car was there for the windshield and they said they only replace with new glass. No removing to re-seal. Seeing Desert XL's posts on the many Galaxie's shows me that it can be a DIY project.

If I get enough nerve up, I have help to attempt the window removal and re-installation very cautiously. The guy I bought the spare from showed me how to do it when I was at his house. He had about 20 cars there.......all Chevy's though. He was parting out the Galaxie stuff from a project he did for a friend so I racked up on all of it.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
My new orders are finally starting to come in!!! This should be an interesting few projects. Today I got the rear door panels. Ordered them from MAC's.

I took some pics of the old door panels before removal and after removal for reference.

Door panels removed.

New panels!! Can't wait to start swapping them over. Got alot of reading up to do on the best way to do this swap. From what I have seen so far, I need to remove my steel pieces from the old panels and swap them over to these. Then I need to mark and attach the mounting springs to these panels in the same location as they are on my old panels.

These panels have a layer of plastic behind the fabric and a layer of whatever they call the backing board on them too.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Braking problem solved. My rear brakes went out on my last weekend and now I know why. Problem has been temporarily resolved. The passengers side metal line was crushed between my exhaust and the rear axle. When the brakes were pressed, fluid was spraying everywhere!! Not sure how I have never noticed this. Whenever I make any other modifications to the exhaust, I will probably try and move the axle hump back an inch or so. When I ran the exhaust the first time, I ran it as close to the axle as I could to keep good clearance from the gas tank. Checked axle travel with a floor jack and everything. Something must have shifted or moved since then. Or maybe, it just happened from parking akwardly, or going over a strange bump.

I have some new lines installed now and I have them routed out of the war of the exhaust. I used a Kobalt brand flare nut wrench this time on the brake lines. They are a little bit thicker, which could be a problem in tighter places but no issues with this job. It was a night and day difference from whatever brand flare nut wrench I was using before.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
So, I am continuing to work on my door panels. The front panels came in today so I will begin on them also. Pics soon to follow.

Yesterday I put on some weatherstripping and ran my new gas line. I previously ran stainless steel braided hose from the fuel pump to carb but now I have braided hose from tank to the fuel pump also! Never again will I have to worry about the gas line. It feels good to get rid of the rubber line. I can open up my exhaust cutouts without having to worry about the heat of the exhaust near the rubber line.

I was also able to replace my Quarter Post Seal and the Quarter Window Vertical Seal between the rear quarter window and front windows yesterday. Pretty straightforward. I was able to replace those seals without removing the rear windows after I took off the post seal.

Before

After

The quarter seal provides a great seal between the front and rear window but it does not fit in the window frame as tight as the ones that were removed. I don't think that will be an issue because there is a screw holding it in place and there is a solid metal bar in the frame of the seal. My front drivers window needs adjusting some. I will do that when I install the beltline weatherstripping kit. Looks like I will have to remove the windows to install the outer seal due to the screws.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I really enjoy following your progress. Man those new rear panels look nice. It looks to me more like you need to adjust your drivers rear glass than the door glass to mate up. I really like that side profile pic of your car above. Hope you have continued success.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
I really enjoy following your progress. Man those new rear panels look nice. It looks to me more like you need to adjust your drivers rear glass than the door glass to mate up. I really like that side profile pic of your car above. Hope you have continued success.
Thanks about the pic. I love that side pic. And yes, I need to adjust all of my windows to line them up properly. I plan on doing that after I install the beltline weatherstripping since the windows will either have to be dropped in the door or removed to replace the outer seals on the car body.

161 - 180 of 234 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.