Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this car 11 years ago from the wrecking yard. It had 67k original miles on it, in excellent shape except for the rear pass door had some minor damage, and the starter was bad. I picked it up for $200. I worked at the wrecking yard at the time and when it came in, I jumped all over it. They didn't want much for it because "Nobody is interested in 4 doors" they said. It was my daily driver until 5 years ago and I decided to repaint it......The project has snowballed over the last 5 years from just a paint job into....everything else!
List of mods:
Shaved-
- Handles, trim, emblems, antenna, and rear bumper (roll pan installed)
-Welded and smoothed body seams between back glass and trunk lid, also welded and smoothed seams beneath tail lights.
-Fiberglass front bumper
-AOD and 5.0 HO full roller motor, 2.5" exhaust, aluminum rad, keith black pistons (~10:1 cr), 1.7 Crane roller rockers, Weiand Stealth intake, Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb, shaved heads, decked block, ported E7's, Procomp electronic dizzy with high energy coil, Shorty headers, 3000 cfm elec fan, functional ram air
-Custom stitched interior
-Not painted yet (trying to find a booth) but color schem is 2 tone, black on top, pearl white bottom with a 1/2" wide green stripe to split them (the new ford fiesta green)
-Wheels and tires- Fronts 235/45/18 18x8.5, Rears 255/45/18 18x10 OZ Opera II 2 piece wheels, custom adapters/spacers to fit 5x112
-Custom made tail lights
ALL the work has been performed by myself aside from the interior and the exhaust. I built the motor and did all the bodywork (hence the 5 years...marriage, babies, and home ownership take first priority) I miss driving this car so I am very eager to complete it....this year!
Here's what I started with 5 years ago

After a little sanding, welding, and filling...

After the first coat of high build primer...with the old wheels...

During second round of block sanding...

My ram air setup but not quite hooked up yet

Yanked the 289 and cleaned up for the new 5.0

My new tail lights I made

New wheels installed. Cut front coils, rear coils from a 97 Pontiac Montana minivan dropped the rear about 2"

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is a pic of the roll pan I made. I had to drill out the spot welds for the stone deflector and remove that. I also had to remove approx 2.5" from the rear of the frame in order to attach the roll pan, the frame sticks out past where the roll pan sits. I am not a professional (obviously) so I have about 50 hours into the roll pan itself!
Here it is with the stone deflector still on and the frame sticking out...

Here it is during filler ( it looks like alot of filler, but by the time its smooth and flat, I sanded 90% of it off) BTW it is welded to the car all the way around so no worries about cracks!

Here's the finished product before paint, notice the welded and filled body seams that are usually bebeath the tail lights..

·
Premium Member
5,665 Posts
That rear view is ASWESOME!!! The Galaxie of the future will look like that.

So the roll pan started life as a 7 foot x 1 foot (?) 16 gauge sheet metal. Then you hand bent the top indention, the bottom roll-under and the two ends using a piece of 12 inch PVC? Can you give some more fabrication details or in-progress pics? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
440 Posts
love your roll pan. i really want to put one on my 69 since the bumper is messed up. i just dont know how i am going to go about wraping it around the quarters. guess ill figure that out when im making it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Between the shaved decklid emblems and shaved bumper, it's a completely different look...not to mention that with the rear bumper gone, and a fiberglass front bumper that weighs all of about 2 lbs (along with some other aluminum parts) she's lost about 160 lbs! So right now (if it were all put together) it would be right at 3500 #'s, not bad for a land yacht! My buddy's 63 Lincoln weighs a tad over 5000!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just dont know how i am going to go about wraping it around the quarters. guess ill figure that out when im making it.
You don't have to wrap it around. With your rear bumper off you can see what I'm talking about...but you do have to give the end of the frame a little trim, as well as add another cross piece to the frame since you would cut the existing one off. If you look at the pic of the rear of my car, you will see that it is straight accross with no bend from side to side.

·
Registered
440 Posts
on my 69 though its a little different. the bumper wraps around the corners and the body itself has an indent in it. so i would need to fill that in as well

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks! As for the 5.0....This is not something I am ever going to race, and it's also something I plan on driving alot, as long as it's not raining or snowing. I live in the desert so there will be plenty of fair weather. I wanting something that wasn't going to kill me in fuel. Plus a 5.0 is alot cheaper to build than a 460. THEN, my sister in law totalled her Fox body Mustang GT. She offered me the running gear and I rebuilt it the way I wanted it. Although, I should have kept the T-5 and put it in instead of selling it, it's hard to find a good used AOD. The AOD I have I bought off of CL about 2 years ago and just recently got to drive the car.....it wont shift past 2nd gear. It doesn't even attempt to shift into 3rd, it just keeps winding up the rpms. Yes TV cable is adjusted.
I have built it just enough to make it fun....and it will put on a pretty nice smoke show fairly easy as well!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks! As for the 5.0....This is not something I am ever going to race, and it's also something I plan on driving alot, as long as it's not raining or snowing. I live in the desert so there will be plenty of fair weather. I wanting something that wasn't going to kill me in fuel. Plus a 5.0 is alot cheaper to build than a 460. THEN, my sister in law totalled her Fox body Mustang GT. She offered me the running gear and I rebuilt it the way I wanted it. Although, I should have kept the T-5 and put it in instead of selling it, it's hard to find a good used AOD. The AOD I have I bought off of CL about 2 years ago and just recently got to drive the car.....it wont shift past 2nd gear. It doesn't even attempt to shift into 3rd, it just keeps winding up the rpms. Yes TV cable is adjusted.
I have built it just enough to make it fun....and it will put on a pretty nice smoke show fairly easy as well!

just hop to a 4r70W. Then decide whether you want to run it full manual or get a controller ( multiple controller options can be had for $600 or less).

this way you can also control shift points easily, as well as firmness.

plus that deeper first gear will help with the smoke show :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My budget doesn't allow me to go for the 4R. This car has been in the garage for coming up on 5 years and I'm ready to get out and enjoy it! I'm going to try the Trans-X trick and see what happens with this one....

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I like it. I had my doubts when I read about the roll pan, but it looks really good. Keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts