Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks. I kinda had my doubts too before I actually did it but once I built it and held it up in place, I loved the look! The longer it takes me to finish the car, the more my ideas change and I just ends up making more work for myself.....I guess thats why they say projects are never done

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
will you describe in more detail how you made the roll pan? Gots to know!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I started with a pieces of 16 gauge piece of sheet metal the size of the opening. Then I used a piece of 12" pipe to bend the sheet metal to the contour of the edges of the quarter panels. After I had it to the shape and size I wanted, I cut a hole in the center the size of my license plate. Then I used another piece of sheet metal and bent that into the shape and size of recess I wanted for the plate. Put it in place and stitch welded that until I had a weld all the way around the perimeter of the rolls pan.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My budget doesn't allow me to go for the 4R. This car has been in the garage for coming up on 5 years and I'm ready to get out and enjoy it! I'm going to try the Trans-X trick and see what happens with this one....

ok i'll sell ya my c4 for $200. bolt it up and go :)

i'll use the scratch to pick up a 4r70w.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
I started with a pieces of 16 gauge piece of sheet metal the size of the opening. Then I used a piece of 12" pipe to bend the sheet metal to the contour of the edges of the quarter panels. After I had it to the shape and size I wanted, I cut a hole in the center the size of my license plate. Then I used another piece of sheet metal and bent that into the shape and size of recess I wanted for the plate. Put it in place and stitch welded that until I had a weld all the way around the perimeter of the rolls pan.

what about the curve-in at the top and the roll-under at the bottom? Did you hand roll those, too?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
what about the curve-in at the top and the roll-under at the bottom? Did you hand roll those, too?
The curve in at the top is part of the original sheet metal of the car. The curve under at the bottom was formed with the pipe as my form.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
It just looks fantastic. You should build a mold for it, I bet you could sell a few glass models here. Undr the trunk lid and taillights there is that shelf that pokes out about an inch before dropping into the upper curve. Did you fill that with Bondo?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
It just looks fantastic. You should build a mold for it, I bet you could sell a few glass models here. Undr the trunk lid and taillights there is that shelf that pokes out about an inch before dropping into the upper curve. Did you fill that with Bondo?
I don't have the capability to do that, and also I don't think I could sell enough of them to make it worth it. Steel is way better for this part anyways as welding is much better than some other bonding process, and the weight difference is minimal.
As far as the "shelf" I'm not sure what you are talking about. There was a stone deflector that went between the bumper and the car. I drilled out the spot welds that held that on and completely removed it. Nothing is filled with bondo, it is all welded. Then a very thin layer of "icing" over the imperfections was added. It's a filler that is made for applying very thin coats.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
As far as the "shelf" I'm not sure what you are talking about. There was a stone deflector that went between the bumper and the car. I drilled out the spot welds that held that on and completely removed it. Nothing is filled with bondo, it is all welded. Then a very thin layer of "icing" over the imperfections was added. It's a filler that is made for applying very thin coats.
Maybe my 65 is different, I hope not! Coming out just below the trunk lid is a shelf that goes about an inch 90 degrees horizontally before dropping down into a curved dip behind the bumper. I was wondering how you made the transition on that horizontal section, how did you did you fill it in . Hope this pic shows what I am talking about, if 65 = 66. There is only about 1/4 inch from the trunk lid down to the horizontal section. The dirty line in the pic is the 90 degree between the trunk lid and the bumper. So did you fill in that 90 degree with Bondo or what.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Maybe my 65 is different, I hope not! Coming out just below the trunk lid is a shelf that goes about an inch 90 degrees horizontally before dropping down into a curved dip behind the bumper. I was wondering how you made the transition on that horizontal section, how did you did you fill it in . Hope this pic shows what I am talking about, if 65 = 66. There is only about 1/4 inch from the trunk lid down to the horizontal section. The dirty line in the pic is the 90 degree between the trunk lid and the bumper. So did you fill in that 90 degree with Bondo or what.
If you had the bumper of and looked under that "shelf" you would be able to see the spot welds that are holding that in place. I took that off.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
Man I wish I didn't have a car already. Where are you?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Where did you get the screen for the headlightbuckets that are not used for the ram air? PM if you don't mind sharing the information.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Where did you get the screen for the headlightbuckets that are not used for the ram air? PM if you don't mind sharing the information.

Those look like the old style stone guards that they sell for Jeep CJ7 lights.

These are mega expensive, but you get the idea

Kentrol 30488 - Kentrol Wire Mesh Stone Guard Set for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

i remember buying them for $10.

ah here we go, $15 at autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Spectre-Chrome-plated-steel-headlight-funnel-stone-guard-includes-thinner-adapter-fits-Spectre-9789/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=209588

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sorry I haven't looked at this in awhile. I have that info for you but wasn't sure how to PM on this forum. The guards sell new for $14.95 and are still available. PM me and I will respond with the info.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
this car is awesome. any details on how you made those rear lights?
Pre-tinted plexiglas and a diffuser panel behind that. I took the chrome trim off of the original lense and applied to the new one. I replaced the stock bulb with red LED bulbs.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts