Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, and I have a 67 Galaxie 500XL 2dr with the original 390 motor in it that I plan to restore. It used to be red with a black vinyl covered hard top, and it sat out in the elements rotting in AR for more than 20yrs before I was able to rescue it. I know I'm in for it as far as $$$ goes, but I'd like to start with getting the motor that's visually in bad shape, removed and totally rebuilt first. I'm just looking for a decent estimate on how much the motor only labor and parts should run me at this point if anyone can help. I attached a pic of my project car so it can be seen what horrible shape it's in. Thank a lot! Tonelarone

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, and I have a 67 Galaxie 500XL 2dr with the original 390 motor in it that I plan to restore. It used to be red with a black vinyl covered hard top, and it sat out in the elements rotting in AR for more than 20yrs before I was able to rescue it. I know I'm in for it as far as $$$ goes, but I'd like to start with getting the motor that's visually in bad shape, removed and totally rebuilt first. I'm just looking for a decent estimate on how much the motor only labor and parts should run me at this point if anyone can help. I attached a pic of my project car so it can be seen what horrible shape it's in. Thank a lot! Tonelarone
Tonelrone, I just joined and seen your post. Oddly enough, I also have a 67 Galaxie 500XL. I don't see to many. Hard to find parts. Mine is also red with a black vinyl top. I just finished mine. It took about 6 years. I've had the car for 39 years (since I was 16). As far as the cost to do a rebuild, that is really hard to say. That depends on how much work it needs, what you want to do with it and who you have do it. It could literally range anywhere from $2,500 to $8,500. I know that's a big range. I have a 390 stroker motor with Edelbrock intake and a 4 barrel holley carb with headers. It runs and sounds awesome but it wasn't cheap. It's alot of work but well worth it when it's all done. Have fun! IMG_0115.jpg .

·
Registered
399 Posts
67Galaxie, do you have any pics of your interior? I have a '67 Galaxie 500 that I'm in the process of converting from column shift to the full console and floor shifter. Just curious as to what, if any changes you made to the interior.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice ride 289 Galaxie! Here is a photo of my front interior (all original). No changes except I had a piece of Stainless Steel cut to go around the shifter as the old one was in bad shape and was missing some lenses. As you probably know, parts are hard to find.

IMG_0123.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tonelrone, I just joined and seen your post. Oddly enough, I also have a 67 Galaxie 500XL. I don't see to many. Hard to find parts. Mine is also red with a black vinyl top. I just finished mine. It took about 6 years. I've had the car for 39 years (since I was 16). As far as the cost to do a rebuild, that is really hard to say. That depends on how much work it needs, what you want to do with it and who you have do it. It could literally range anywhere from $2,500 to $8,500. I know that's a big range. I have a 390 stroker motor with Edelbrock intake and a 4 barrel holley carb with headers. It runs and sounds awesome but it wasn't cheap. It's alot of work but well worth it when it's all done. Have fun! View attachment 165498 .
Wow, yours looks absolutely fantastic! Congratulations!! My elderly uncle purchased the one I have brand new off the showroom floor years ago and he somehow lost it to a buddy and they feuded over it while it just sat there rotting while they fought...long story, but I finally managed to get back for my uncle. I have a good mechanic who builds hotrod motors so I plan to have him just totally refurb the motor and replace all of the accessories on it. Remarkably, the tranny still had red fluid in it but everything is rusted and the entire exhaust system just basically disintegrated as it was being torn out. After it's all said and done motor, body, interior and everything else, I think I would have spend around $20K to get my 67 Galaxie 500XL looking like yours! Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice ride 289 Galaxie! Here is a photo of my front interior (all original). No changes except I had a piece of Stainless Steel cut to go around the shifter as the old one was in bad shape and was missing some lenses. As you probably know, parts are hard to find.

View attachment 165501
Man yours looks great! I'm afraid I'm a looong way from my interior looking this good. The old man that I had to get my uncle's 67 Galaxie from had it on a piece of dilapidated property where it sat for years and he had the inside of the car and trunk absolutely stuffed full of junk! Inside looked like an abandoned landfill garbage heap/scrap yard of old misc. rusty parts. The interior, once I doug my way to it, is atrocious!!

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thank you.

That interior has held up well after all these years, looks good. Looking at your shifter with the stainless insert do you just count the clicks when putting it in gear? I know how hard the indicator lens is to find. I paid crazy money for a broken one but was able to put it back together and repaint the letters. Same thing with the aluminum insert. Those are ridiculously hard to find and took me 4 years to find an NOS one.

Yes, parts are extremely hard to find especially with this one year only body style. I've been hunting parts every day since I got it 5 years ago.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Tonelarone, you have quite a project ahead of you but I feel it can be rewarding if you persevere. Parts are out there but it takes a lot of hunting to find them. There aren't a lot of these '67 Galaxie's out there so it tends to be a quite conversation starter whenever you go out. Hell, I've even had the guys that claim they hate Ford's say "I'm not a Ford guy but this is a nice looking car." Maybe the body lines remind them of an Impala.........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you.

That interior has held up well after all these years, looks good. Looking at your shifter with the stainless insert do you just count the clicks when putting it in gear? I know how hard the indicator lens is to find. I paid crazy money for a broken one but was able to put it back together and repaint the letters. Same thing with the aluminum insert. Those are ridiculously hard to find and took me 4 years to find an NOS one.

Yes, parts are extremely hard to find especially with this one year only body style. I've been hunting parts every day since I got it 5 years ago.
Yes on counting clicks. It's pretty easy. I'm surprised you were able to find a console and put it back together. I would've like to put it back original but mine was missing two of the indicator lenses. The back dome light lens on the console is broken as well. The SS plate was a quick fix and looks good. If you ever come across those lenses, please let me know. I enjoyed reading your comments.

·
Registered
99 Posts
FWIW - I have a 66 Gal with the 428 engine. Car sat for 25 plus years before I got it. I just had the engine rebuilt last year by a local mechanic (not a professional engine builder). It had to be bored by .030, new cam, etc. It cost me right at $5,000 total.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The back dome light lens on the console is broken as well. The SS plate was a quick fix and looks good. If you ever come across those lenses, please let me know. I enjoyed reading your comments.
Thanks. Yes those rear console light lenses are always broken. The console I found had that lens intact but it was a yellowish brown color and it was flaking. You could actually scrape the layers off with your fingernail. I wet sanded it starting at 320 and went up to 1500 which cleaned up the color and flakiness then I installed mini LED bulbs in place of the incandescent ones.

Heres a pic of it just laid in my car. Obviously the conversion isn't done but I couldn't wait to see how it would look.

IMG_1317.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks. Yes those rear console light lenses are always broken. The console I found had that lens intact but it was a yellowish brown color and it was flaking. You could actually scrape the layers off with your fingernail. I wet sanded it starting at 320 and went up to 1500 which cleaned up the color and flakiness then I installed mini LED bulbs in place of the incandescent ones.

Heres a pic of it just laid in my car. Obviously the conversion isn't done but I couldn't wait to see how it would look.

View attachment 165513
That's a great looking console! That was a good find!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts