Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
I have been all over the map as far as paint scheme goes.
At first I was thinking of rally stripes and a gold color similar to this. No stripes on roof, just trunk and hood.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Stripe mock up using dry guide coat
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Now I am thinking House of Kolor Brandywine with no stripes. Here is a video with the color in action.
Liquid Fluid Automotive design Magenta Tints and shades

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Pics of the motor sitting in the frame so I can finish the wiring and get it started.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Hood Rim

Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire

·
Registered
682 Posts
Now I am thinking House of Kolor Brandywine with no stripes. Here is a video with the color in action View attachment 170381
I had an '89 Harley Softail Custom that was painted Candy Brandywine and Crimson from the factory. I loved the Brandywine color so when it was time for a repaint we did it in House of Kolor Brandywine with ghost flames. Personally, I think it's a striking color.

Reactions: craving77494

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The old lady always asks "whatcha workin on out there?" My response.....sanding, the same thing I been doing for 6 weeks and will be doing for the next 3 months. :ROFLMAO:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Did some rust repair on the winshield channel. Pretty bad on both sides. I guess that explains the rusted out floorboard on the passenger side.
Automotive tire Bumper Hood Motor vehicle Wood

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I made them from scratch, wasn't too bad of a job. I would make 10 more sets vs. removing the butyl goo. That is by far the worst job so far.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Impressive. Those don't look as easy to make as you imply.
I hear you on the butyl. I'm on that train right now. Gooey mess!

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I hear you on the butyl. I'm on that train right now. Gooey mess!
I used every tool kown to man to remove the bullk of it. Wire wheel....clogged, paint striping wheel....clogged, heat...a mess. Wax and degreaser and 4000 paper towels worked to get the remainder off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wire wheel on an angle grinder. Those don't clog. To make sure there is no oily residue left behind I break out my best friend liquor thinner.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Wire wheel on an angle grinder. Those don't clog. To make sure there is no oily residue left behind I break out my best friend liquor thinner.
I found the wire wheel on the angle grinder seemed to melt it vs. removing it and cause a helluva mess with what did come off shooting all over me and the shop. That stuffs hot!!! As long as your getting it off is all that matters. I wish there was an alternative to putting butyl back on when installing the front/rear glass.I am probably going to have them professionaly set instead of me fumbling around.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I break out my best friend liquor thinner.
Liquor thinner? Isn't that just water? Could be Coke, or Ginger Ale, too, I suppose. LOL :rolleyes::p:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ment laquor thinner.

I can see how liquor thinner may give the impression I get wasted after tackling window glue. I recommend getting wasted before you start to help numb the pain.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Carter electric fuel pump mounted, wired to an oil pressure safety switch.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

This shows the proximity to the fuel sender/pickup
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Auto part Cable

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Thought I would share some body working tips I have learned along the way....

For years I have always tried to scrape the body filler off my paddle as much as possible when I was done spreading mud. As counterintuitive as it may sound, the more filler you leave on both sides of the spreading paddle when you are done the better. Cleaning and chipping off a thin coat of filler is much harder than breaking off a big chunk that leaves a clean surface on the paddle.

I originally bought this mixing board from you know who....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L1CTR4R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Save your money and get this one. Much bigger and has a nice wood back vs. cardboard.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063WQOO?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

For what it is worth, I have been using Evercoat products from the start. Kitty Hair, Rage Gold filler, Superbuild primer. All nice products.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
233 Posts
61 - 80 of 101 Posts