Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay joined last night, but been lurking and searching longer. My brain hurts. So I want to put out there what I think I have in my head. Hoping somebody can confirm my thought process.

I bought a 1970 Torino Friday night. All manual, brakes, steering, etc. Has 4 drums on it. I want front discs.

I can use Granada spindles, using the granada spindles I have to then use the same donor outer tie rods the spindles come from? I have read grananda spindles but nobody mentions years, are their only certain years that will interchange with my car? Before I drop the $ I am looking at a pair of 76 and a pair of 77 Granada spindles.

I am also reading about master cylinders, about the bore size etc. From what I have gathered the 15/16 bore master should fit the bill with manual brakes. Is there a donor vehicle application that will bolt up to my car with little or no modification, that I could source from a napa or parts plus vendor?

I am a auto tech by trade, and have been a avid offroader for years. I won't even get into explaining how many different mismatched application parts I have into my axles on my Early Bronco lol, lets just say its a mismatch of Dodge/ford/chevy stuff to get it how I want it. So I am used to mismatching applications to get the end result I am looking for. As well I get a stupid deal on parts through my local napa and parts plus vendors. So calipers and hoses, rotors etc are easy to get and uper cheap.

The granada spindles will get me discs but are the smaller option for disc brakes. I can use other ford application spindles to net me larger disc brake set-up. What application spindles would I need for the larger set-up and I assume it would be the same story with the tie rods needed from the donor application?

I don't plan to "race" the car, rather a nice cruiser that I can jump in and drive on vacations or long distance stuff. But also my wife can drive as well.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Stock Kelsey-Hayes would of course be a direct bolt-on. The same parts are used on 68 - 73 Mustangs and Cougar, and 68 - 71 Torino, Fairlane, Comet, Cyclone, or Falcon. A stock setup from any of these will go right on. No, it won't generally be as inexpensive as Maverick/Granada. Also note, the Mav/Granada setups were 10.675 or 11.03". You would of course want the 11" rotors.

David

Donors for "Granada" disc brakes are:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good luck...
I searched for a decent setup for quite some time....converting a manual drum '69 Mercury Montego convertible to front disc...
and after extensive brain-pain...
I went with the Kelsey-Hayes setup from Chock-o-stang.
Went on as easy as could be...New Master, and proportioning valve with original distribution block.
Car will be coming out of hibernation next week, and I am anxious to break them pads in..
The $200 I could have saved by mis-matching was well spent with no hassle.....and all GREAT quality stuff.
...Like I said... Good Luck...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up with everything from a 71 montego.

Spindles
rotors
calipers
hoses
Brake booster
Master cyl
prop valve
Brake pedal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts