Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should go 9.70's or so with a different converter and a 3spd. That 1.76 glide is killin him

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Very impressive.
BUT, your telling me that a turbo 400 is worth 40 horse compared to a built C4?
I dont get why he would go with a chevy trans considering the parts availible for the ford C4. Hell some C4s are handling 1000+HP from what Ive read.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
it's not the durability, it's the rotating mass

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
hmm ok so how much less for a 400?
i wonder if anyone actually changed out transmissions and saw an actual improvement and was not able to attribute it to a converter or gear ratio benefit.

5.0 block,B303,1.7 Rockers,beehives,'68 ported heads,Coated custom Must II headers,Edlb Airgap,Holley570,Msd Billet,Crane HI 6,Milodon 8 quart Deep Pan,2.5" 40 Flowmasters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 10/2/06 9:04am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The 3 speed should go quicker because of the gear ratio benefit. A TH400 is a heavy truck trans, but it should go quicker by getting off the line better. If you listen to the clip the engine sounds like it is struggling off the line for the first 60 feet. The little engine isn't making enough torque to get the car moving.

The whole TH400 vs. ford trans is another issue all together.

Very nice running car though!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
60ft is 1.51 should be around 1.30's with a Turbo400

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
On 2006-10-01 18:24, clevelandstyle wrote:
The 3 speed should go quicker because of the gear ratio benefit.
The whole TH400 vs. ford trans is another issue all together.

Very nice running car though!
Yes agreed on all points.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yep, I misread, thought he was going from a C4 to a 400, also, it's the Turbo 350 which for sure has the lighter rotating mass, not sure on the 400.

Personally I'd give up the .3 for using a ford tranny if I had to =p.

Cris

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2006-10-01 18:35, Is1BadFord wrote:
Yep, I misread, thought he was going from a C4 to a 400, also, it's the Turbo 350 which for sure has the lighter rotating mass, not sure on the 400.

Personally I'd give up the .3 for using a ford tranny if I had to =p.

Cris
Now when your racing in an all motor series. He races in the RAM series

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks as good as it runs, this is on radials also mind you

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
On 2006-10-01 18:39, woody1 wrote:

Now when your racing in an all motor series. He races in the RAM series
True this =). I don't race in any series...so I'm sorta free to make choices based on brand loyalty lol.

Cris

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
The 3 speed should go quicker because of the gear ratio benefit.
Theoretically true. In reality, I doubt there'll be a big difference.

A TH400 is a heavy truck trans, but it should go quicker by getting off the line better.
I can't begin to count the number of folks who have switched from a T400 to a 'glide and saw a ET improvement. In most cases, they also improved MPH (less rotating mass)

If you listen to the clip the engine sounds like it is struggling off the line for the first 60 feet. The little engine isn't making enough torque to get the car moving.
True. The converter is a little too tight on the front end of the track. Can't see/hear the backside of the track so I don't know what's going on down there. My car does exactly the same thing. I need to have the converter either loosened up a little or just bite the bullet & get another one (leaning towards the latter & use the one I have in there now as a spare). But, there ARE instances where a 3 speed would be a little quicker compared to a 2 speed (e.g. mismatched converter/engine/trans/rear gear in the 'glide car). This may very well be one of those occasions if all of the other options for the 'glide have been addressed (e.g. lightened 1.82 carrier, aluminum clutch hub, aluminum high drum, 3 reverse frictions, PROPERLY matched converter, aluminum valve body to reduce weight, etc). The 400 is a heavy, bulky, but very strong transmission (just like a C6). They are also a little tougher to build, IMO, compared to a C4, C6 or Glide...or even a T350 for that matter. And, just like most other 3 speed trans, there is a sprag that needs attention. Our C4's don't have much problem with them (same for C6) but T350s and 400s seem to break every so often, and the TF727 seems to be famous for grenading as well.

But, that is VERY impressive for a 306" SBF in a heavy car!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I do NOT agree that a 3 speed would be faster in this car. I have worked wiyj many racecars that went back and forth from 2 speeds to 3 speeds. In reality, there was almost NO differance. The biggest gains come when you run at a very poor or badly prepared track. Then, the powerglide is faster. The PG is also 40 to 50 lbs lighter. JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we shall see next year I guess

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Joe, would this hold true for fairly heavy cars with small, lower torque 306 ci engines?

I can definitely see the benefits of a Powerglide trans on a surface that is traction limited, but the C4 wouldn't take much more power at all to run, and when geared correctly, should provide a better launch AND better top end.

With only two gears, a powerglide is going to be a little undergeared taking off, and a little overgeared on the top end. With three speeds, a C4 can have a better launch AND better top end.

A car with plenty of 'midrange grunt' taking off that can pull the limited gear ratio of the powerglide. Traction limited cars take full advantage of the 'glide's first gear ratio.... but.....

If a car with a C4 is having trouble launching, it can always have the rear gear adjusted to kill off some gear ratio.... just like a glide does.

Of course, Joe, your experience is hard to argue with. It just seems like a C4 would be good with smaller engines that have narrower, more peaky powerbands.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Wow, that thing is turning some serious RPM by the sounds of it. Any info on the combo, shift RPM, hp?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
About 600 at the crank, 8000+rpm shifts

1 - 20 of 34 Posts