Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Saw one of those for sale locally for $4500.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that red ones nice(too bad its white interior/302), but I think way too pricey... the 429 4 speed ones not that nice (added undercarriage pics- but the usual frame trouble areas arent even shown, doubt its coincidence) and even if a rare bigblock, think its way overpriced too...think the red one should be in the 12k range tops, and the bigblock one maybe 5- if the frames not shot... I love those 69's though.

that 429 one is kinda neat- bigblock/stick, no AC, no Power brakes...somebody ordered that car for other than comfort :)

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
that red ones nice(too bad its white interior/302), but I think way too pricey... the 429 4 speed ones not that nice (added undercarriage pics- but the usual frame trouble areas arent even shown, doubt its coincidence) and even if a rare bigblock, think its way overpriced too...think the red one should be in the 12k range tops, and the bigblock one maybe 5- if the frames not shot... I love those 69's though.

that 429 one is kinda neat- bigblock/stick, no AC, no Power brakes...somebody ordered that car for other than comfort :)

Where exactly do the frames rust out? I have 3 of them and have not found any bad spots on the frames?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think the cars from the areas that have real harse winters and use a lot of salt on the roads RUST the MOST.. Just guessing. our 63 frame is in GREAT shape for being so old.
In the part of Texas we live in we have no large amount of snow fall, (IF ANY)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
yeah, salt definitely eats them up- but... when I cut our old frame up, saw why these cars were so prone to rust ahead of the rear wheels and at the torque boxes...the only 'drains' in the bottoms are kinda small, yet theres a lot of big holes in various places...dirt(salt) gets in, plugs them up, stays wet inside all the time...the front of the arches have a internal zig-zag spacer about where the crossmember is attached- unsure if 'reinforcement' or not- but i think not, as its not welded in there...I think it was just a spacer to hold the parts together when the frame was jigged up- anyways, ours had about 2" of dirt above the spacer(from about middle to the top of the arch on both sides, no way you would ever know or be able to clean it out. the drain notches elsewhere were buried in dirt too.
the control arms I picked up for ours while on vacation in colorado, came off a nice no-rust (but wrecked) 66, while under it was looking at how otherwise beautiful the bent frame was...tapped on a side rail back to front, ding, ding, thud, crack...pushed a screwdriver thru easily, and it looked fine from the outside, but was paper thin...dug a little hole out, sure enough, full of graham cracker looking layers of rust under a lot of grey powdery road grime- wether it was salted or not who knows, but I'm guessing it was- IMO one winter on these frames is too many, any salt that gets inside will just lay there damp with whatever dirt is in there already. I'd always heard it was 'japanese steel' or whatnot that sent so many of these cars to the weld shops for frame patches, but I think it was basically just a bad design on the ability to drain...larger drains would have allowed both flushing when driving in rain and better yet, let it breathe so it could dry out.
late model 'Vics have trouble on the passenger front torqueboxes just because the AC condensate drain keeps it wet all the time...the water dont hurt long as its not damp all day every day.
Ive only personally had 3 'big fords' over the years, a 69 galaxie (in 1980) a 71 LTD (in '81), and a 65 LTD (2002-present) all had shot frames, all in the same areas, the 65 was the only one i tried to repair. there were 2 more big fords in our family when I was a kid, a 72 and a 74, the 74 was the only one that didnt have frame trouble- but I remember the day Dad traded it in on a new 77 pinto, so it was only on its 2nd or 3rd winter...I remember going home in that pinto from the dealership- that big LTD was big and plush, the ride home in that puny crackerbox 4 cylinder slippery vinyl seat pinto sucked...

heres a pic of those reinforcements:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the cars from the areas that have real harse winters and use a lot of salt on the roads RUST the MOST.. Just guessing. our 63 frame is in GREAT shape for being so old.
In the part of Texas we live in we have no large amount of snow fall, (IF ANY)
Ive never heard of much frame issues except 65-72 years...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts