Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my exhaust done before Thanksgiving and I loved it. I have headers going to 2-1/4" pipes, then to 40 series Flowmasters, then they dump before the rear axle. The I didn't drive the car for a while. I fixed it, then fired it up yesterday to take it to emissions testing, and on the way over there, it was really loud inside the car. Should I put tailpipes and run it under the rear bumper? Will this quiet thing down?

·
Registered
27 Posts
My mustang resonated a lot with the tail pipes dumped before the axle - also set off car alarms, etc. When I had the pipes taken out to the rear of the vehicle, it quieted the resonance down quite a bit, but the car was still loud. I imagine yours will be too.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I used to have dumps before the rear axle too, on the flowmaster 2 chambers. It got to the point where people would ask me something, and I would say What??? So I figured I would save my hearing and put tail pipes on. After scientific testing (driving WOT under freeway bridges) my car seems just as loud, but not near as deep. And it makes it quite pleasure-able to drive now. I figure in about 6 months i'll probably chop them off again.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Most certainly running pipes out the back of the car would be the best solution to the resonance. But if clearance considerations don't allow it, changing the direction of the tips might be helpful.

You can add tips and point them outward, so that the sound waves no longer bounce into the ground and up into the car floor, or, and I think this is a cool trick, point the tips towards one another. The sound waves bump into each other and cancel each other out to a great degree. I saw a guy who did this at Fabulous Ford Forever once, and he said it did a heck of a lot to dampen the noise waves. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just finished installing a set of mac headers and had the two chamber flowmasters put on with 2.5 pipes and its loud.. I can't hear the kides in the back seat, so things worked out just fine they sound great

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: foton007 on 2/6/02 9:04am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I love it when the alarms go off, I drive by my neighbors rice burners almost daily, when will they learn, and that is at idle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great entrees. I see some really good opinions here for:
1) dealing with noisy kids in the back
2) fixing the crappy stereo
3) overcoming the clattering valves/lifters
4) dealing with the ringing from the clutch bearing
5) eliminating the creaky suspension
6) letting the neighborhood know I'm home
All this and more horsepower too!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I turned to turn downs to face each other and drove around with it like that yesterday, and it helped. It was still loud, but not as annoying as it was before. I'm gonna keep it this way. But I have to get it to go out the back under the bumper for emissions testing. Then go back to the way I had it before.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
That's how Dr. Gas can get by with no mufflers on their full exhaust systems! The "X" scavenges and cancels sound. Good stuff Maynard. I'd get a shop to bend you some tail pipes. Buy some JC Whitney 180* U-bends if you are worried about over the axle kink. Have the shop fab them in and your good to go. I had straight pipes on my car once and it was a loud motherf$%ker out the pipe. But, I had it blowing clear out to the muffler so it wasn't bad in the car. There's a good chance that dumps are always going to drone. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just gonna have it go straight and under the rear axle for a temp solution for the testing. Then have it dump again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts