Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

my first build 351c 4v 4 bolt main Q-code please help

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  v8Billy 
#1 ·
Ok here I am coming from germany to Canada and after many years finally get to do something like this. I got my hands on a 73 grand torino sport with the 351c 4v 4 bolt main in it. I wanna do a complete rebuild on the engine. I have a little bit of knowledge but please treat me like a dummy!
I wanna be able to drive it on the streets on pump gas but also wanna aim at 400+ HP if that is possible? I have around 4000$ as a budget on the engine part set. Now please correct me if this is not doable. I was looking at a 393 stroker kit from skat. Now I have no clue about carbs intakes cams decking and so on. I'm looking for someone that can guide me through this step by step. Maby if we can put together a parts list and work that has to be dun to heads and block that would help me out a ton. TIA

#3 ·
I am running the same setup, it made 395 to the tires with a 15 year old short block and no stroker.
Solid Roller cam
Edelbrock RPM air gap
4v quench heads, flat top piston- pump gas no problem
MPG Stinger exhaust plates
Hooker 1 7/8 headers, 3 1/2 collector, 3" exhaust

The stroker kit will help those heads a lot

395HP dyno run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_mBCteCHI

#4 · (Edited)
Thx for the advise! I literally just got back from the first meeting with the guy that will help me with the engine work he's bin building engines for over 30 years now and he told me the exact same thing. When I asked him about the stroker version he was waving his hands and said we would go with original specs except the cam cause 73's are smog engines and the timing and cams where retarded to burn the fuel better. Hes talking about shaving the heads to get a bit better compression porting and polishing them for better flow, aftermarket intake to get rid of the cast one some headers and a proper 4 barrel also forged pistons and valves. The question came up that with the 4 bold main the original crank might be the better cast one with more Zink content in the casting material and if it would be strong enough to keep it? What do u guys think and what kinda cam should I go with? Brand duration lift and such? Also my question is that I asked him about balancing the assembly and he said we wouldn't have to. Also some input from u guys if u cared about that or if it is a must he said not with factory specs and he wants to go with 351boss specs on cam if that makes sense.

#5 ·
Hey v8billy what rpm range did u get the 395 at? And what kinda gears are u guys running? Got a c6 which will get a shifter kit linked to a 9" rear. Wanna be able to drive it normally but also wanna be able to leave certain individuals in the dust :D also what posi locker. He was talking about a posi that would fully lock after one wheel starts spinning.

#6 ·
It makes peak power at 6300. You engine guy may not want you to go with a stroker but if you do you get:
Better crank, rods and presumably forged pistons.
Engine balancing- If you are concerned with hp and longevity then YES!
As for cam I am running a custom grind roller but when I had a solid flat tappet in it it made 440 hp/430 ft/lb on an engine dyno, and that cam is for sale with the older style of exhaust port plates if you are interested.
As for the transmission- if you are going to run an auto a C-4 is a better route. It is lighter and has in the neighborhood of 20-30 hp LESS parasitic drag over the C-6. I also ran an auto, c-4, for 20 years and it worked great. Now I have a TKO-600 with a .64 overdrive so I can get away with 4.57 gears on the street. With a 26-27 inch tire it runs 80mph at 2900 rpm!
Rear end- I run a Yukon Locker but also ran a detroit locker for many years. Switched to a locker after my Traction Loc starting to slip.

The 73 Cleveland has open chambered 4v heads, not the ideal set up for power, but acceptable. If the heads need lots of rework consider after market aluminum like the Edelbrock. They have better chamber designs and will save weight and make the power you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.