Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
I was very tired lastnight, so i didnt go into many details.

Honestly, as i said before, i had my doubts, but once i made it from Dayton to Cincinatti, i had a feeling she would make it. I stopped shortly into kentucky, and checked the fluids and under the car, turns out she was hemoraging trans fluid at the front of the bell housing. About 3 drops every few seconds. That did worry me, but i didnt turn back, instead i went to Advance Auto Parts, got a seal conditioner/stop leak, filled her up and trucked on. For the rest of the trip she only used about another Qt.

Now for the other issue, she has developed some serious blow by, it took about 6 qts to make it to Houston, and the oil smells heavily of fuel, she took care of me, so i guess its my turn, im currently looking for a good engine/trans shop in the Houston area if anyone knows one.

ON TO THE FUN

Driving a 50yr old time machine cross country was AMAZING, i was approached by someone at every single gas station i hit. The returning look of an adolescent happiness that it brought old folks faces was amazing. I met 2 guys on the road that both had 63's back when.

I cant even begin to count the number of thumbs up and horn honks and smiles i got.

and by my best calculations, all for just over 600$
NAPA in Conroe ,Tx. my friend LEO works there , he's the BEST I KNOW.this is his cell#936 522 8492. tell him LESTER sent you..

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was very tired lastnight, so i didnt go into many details.

Honestly, as i said before, i had my doubts, but once i made it from Dayton to Cincinatti, i had a feeling she would make it. I stopped shortly into kentucky, and checked the fluids and under the car, turns out she was hemoraging trans fluid at the front of the bell housing. About 3 drops every few seconds. That did worry me, but i didnt turn back, instead i went to Advance Auto Parts, got a seal conditioner/stop leak, filled her up and trucked on. For the rest of the trip she only used about another Qt.

Now for the other issue, she has developed some serious blow by, it took about 6 qts to make it to Houston, and the oil smells heavily of fuel, she took care of me, so i guess its my turn, im currently looking for a good engine/trans shop in the Houston area if anyone knows one.

ON TO THE FUN

Driving a 50yr old time machine cross country was AMAZING, i was approached by someone at every single gas station i hit. The returning look of an adolescent happiness that it brought old folks faces was amazing. I met 2 guys on the road that both had 63's back when.

I cant even begin to count the number of thumbs up and horn honks and smiles i got.

and by my best calculations, all for just over 600$
Congrats on the trip and your new/old toy!

One of these days I need to save up some gas money and do a road trip with my Galaxie, every Galaxie owner should do this at least once in their cars life. :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
I say all the Texas GALAXIE owners have a rally .Push, Pull , Drive or Drag the ole gal . We have 4 acres on a creek feedin Lake Livingston..JUST A THOUGHT... Jim and I can meet at BB in Onalaska,Tx. when it gets a little warmer.

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
Congrats on the road trip, sometimes I don't think we give these o'l Gals enough credit. I worried my 61 to death before we took our road trip to Colorado last year and this was after rebuilding everything I could before we left except the power steering pump and generator and I took a spare generator.
I'm with you on all the hi fives and conversations at gas stations, most folks glad to see an old Gal on the road where she is supposed to be. Even had a guy gassing up next to me in BFE in a new Corvette look over and say "nice car" had to tell him he wasn't doing so bad himself.
Mike

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had an interesting trip in a 66 LTD about 10 years ago. I flew into Atlanta and picked the car up, having about a 9 hour drive to Richmond, Va. The seller was an honest guy and he made sure all fluids were topped off, belts and hoses checked and the brakes and tires were fine. I drove the car about 50 miles before arriving at my brother-in-law's house for the night..planning to get up early the next day to drive back to Richmond. The car did fine in a mixture of city and highway driving.

Next morning I leave at 6:00am to start my trip, looking forward to the first long drive in my "new" car. I envisioned a trouble free drive with beautiful weather, thumbs up from other drivers, etc..........wrong!! About 10 min after I leave, I'm merging onto the interstate when I see a semi coming up fast on my left and I realize I need to punch it to ensure I can get it the lane. As soon as I nail it, BAMM, I hear and awful noise and the car starts sounding like an old dump truck. It's not losing any power and I could tell right away I either cracked the exhaust manifold or I blew an exhaust gasket. I pulled into a rest area a few miles down the road and was able to determine it was the doughnut gasket on the passenger's side. I was not about to try to find a shop to fix it (I didn't bring any tools with me...stupid), so I said screw it and started home. That was one loud ride home. To make matters worse, I ran into very heavy rain through both of the Carolinas and that just made my "dream" ride home all the worse.

I made it home with no other issues, but when I pulled into my driveway sounding like crap my wife said "THAT was the car you flew all the way there for?" That was the perfect ending!!!

Ends up that LTD was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned and she went bye bye after a few years. Thank goodness my 66 Galaxie has never given me the first bit of trouble on all of the trips I've taken in the 20 years I've owned her. She will be out of the body shop with her new paint in about a month and I'll post pics then.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
im currently looking for a good engine/trans shop in the Houston area if anyone knows one.
Where do you live, wildman? If you are looking for a machine shop there is a great shop ($125 to +.030 my block) in Pasadena. Houston Engine and Balancing, front desk guy Jeff is the ford guy. They specialize in racing but will work with the common man.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts