Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just picked this project up... 1964 falcon.. is there anyway with stock supension to fit 18's on her?

this is the car:

this is what i wanna go for.. my photochop lol

·
Registered
698 Posts
A friend stuff 17" on his 63 Wagon and lowered it. The key is figuring your offset. You will sacrifice steering.

I am strongly looking at the 18" on the Ford Focus. They have some great 5 star "Ford" wheels that I think would look hot. But figure it would kill my steering and they are wide as heck. But have like HUGE offset. With adaptor to adapt to right lug and space it out a bit, it might work..

My friend swears he had 17x8's all the way around.

·
Registered
634 Posts
:tup:_I hope you find the wheels you want and welcome to the forum. I see you choice the 64 as your first falcon. I choice the 64 as my first one in 1964, Futura hardtop and still have it.__:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, here are my other 2 cars that ive done. luckly this falcon is a better start then these two.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I had the late model mustang Torque thrust style wheels on my 65.
17x7 or 8? Had to use I think a 3/4" or 1" spacer on the front and rear.

Jet

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Wow! Beautiful Cougar, love those colors. Do you still own them?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ya i still own them, the cougar will be getting some upgrades after the falcon is done. I need to change up rim style, but for the Falcon i just picked these up

They are 17X8, i plan on painting the center gray to gloss black later. So ya the front hits the steering arms, so i guess i'll have to run a spacer too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did this thread just get hijacked by Mustang and Cougar pics?
naw.. so got the rims on... seem to fit pretty good, so guess this weekend the body work begins.. might as well knock it out first and get her painted.

i'm waiting on a few things for the motor, but here it is while waiting on me to smooth the engine bay lol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Looking good! - Nice to see another 64/65 2dr sedan getting built.

Pierre

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what does the rear window trim look like on these, i've been goin thru all the chrome i have and i think i have all of it and more. On the bottom rear window is there any chrome? Also where can i find a rear window for this car? years and makes that are the same... thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
spent last few days gettin dirty... got a few spots to throw some puddy on, but she's pretty nice for a 64

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Since you've got it all torn down you might want to consider replacing the shock tower braces with something nicer. I used Total Control Products stuff and really like it. I only did the braces that go from the tower to the firewall but they have more you can add later if you want. They offer a Monte Carlo brace and another support brace that ties everything together. Too much for my needs but it's all nice stuff.

I like them because they're so much easier to work around when changing plugs, etc. and the rods come out easily if you need more room to work, unlike the huge stock sheet metal pieces that are welded in.

Unless you're planning on removing the entire towers which is the way I should have gone! If nothing else notch them for more clearance, another thing I should have done. The Falcon engine bay is narrow so getting your hands on header bolts, plugs, plug wires, you name it they're hard to reach.

John

·
Registered
340 Posts
Since you've got it all torn down you might want to consider replacing the shock tower braces with something nicer. I used Total Control Products stuff and really like it. I only did the braces that go from the tower to the firewall but they have more you can add later if you want. They offer a Monte Carlo brace and another support brace that ties everything together. Too much for my needs but it's all nice stuff.

I like them because they're so much easier to work around when changing plugs, etc. and the rods come out easily if you need more room to work, unlike the huge stock sheet metal pieces that are welded in.

Unless you're planning on removing the entire towers which is the way I should have gone! If nothing else notch them for more clearance, another thing I should have done. The Falcon engine bay is narrow so getting your hands on header bolts, plugs, plug wires, you name it they're hard to reach.

John
As long as he's not going with anything bigger than a 302, it ain't that tough to work on. Now a 73 maverick with a 302? Ugh!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my buddy works for a machine shop, so tonight i'm going to draw it up in autocad so he can lazer cut the plates next week. Then i'll go pick up some hemi connectors to make the arms. If they come out good i'll make a few extra's

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well sat. was a pretty productive day... I got almost 1 whole side of the car sanded and body work done, engine bay all stripped and sprayed with etching primer. Hoping to have this thing ready for paint by the end of march.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
You're really moving on the car, and it's looking good. Looking at your other cars, you must be a real pro.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts