Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

My first Ford 70 XL Sportsroof!!! Love this car!

12K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  j3gibbon 
#1 ·
I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to the forum. I live in Regina, Saskatchewan Canada and have been a car nut for many years. I recently purchased a 1970 For XL Sportsroof that I literally pulled out of a barn. It has been stored for the last 20 years and I purchased it from the original owner.

It has a 429 4V, 80K, floor shifter and a bunch of other options. It is a early 1980's repaint but other than that, it is a totally matching numbers original car. All basic maintenance has been done but honestly..this car doesnt need anything. I plan to possibly change the wheels and tires to the Magnum 500 combo but won't likely do that until next year as soon the snow will fly.

I will be checking in often as I likely will need some expertise from other members. Here is a few pics of the new love of my life. Cheers! Sherwin3501

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Now that is a perty find there! Even if i am a '64 fan. Keep us updated and ask as many questions as you need to. We'll have answers, maybe not the kind you are looking for at times but we'll have them! :) Welcome to the forum too!!

#8 ·
Thanks for all the great comments! I have been trying to get back into muscle cars but the cost to do so was just too high. This was a steal and I couldn't resist. I have had it for only 10 days now. It actually sported running boards (thus the cheesy mudflaps), which will be changed. I have also thought about a hood scoop, possibly one from an older Comet? I want to be careful as I want to keep the look as stock as possible. I am doing lots of research on this particular model and have lots of ideas but oem parts seem far and few between.

I like the 69 GT striping, would love to find a factory hood tach and again would love to find some magnum 500 wheels with raised white letter rubber.

Any ideas to make this even cooler would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

#10 ·
I like the 69 GT striping, would love to find a factory hood tach and again would love to find some magnum 500 wheels with raised white letter rubber.

Any ideas to make this even cooler would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
I'm not that into originality, if mine I'd lose the vinyl top and maybe even change the color- but yes it would be a shame to do that to a survivor... I LOVE the comet/cougar eliminator scoops, I found a OEM one for my 69 mustang a couple yrs ago, looks like a boss9 scoop, but wider/not as tall...

its been many many years ago, but Ive still got sketches here somewhere of how i was going to paint mine- was going to put a short semigloss black stripe in the quarter hip line- I saw something very similar on a new charger the other day, think with the quarter panel line it could look good.

I even stumbled on/bought a set of 429 sidemarkers last year, dunno if you could put a set of those(69) on 70 fenders or not...some day(unlikely) I'd love to find another 69 formal hardtop with black interior, I really loved that car. Ive still got the 429, my mom bought that car in 1972 :)

#9 ·
So how do you like the 480 Ft/Lb off idle torque of that 429? :) :) :)

my 69 gal IMO was still the most powerful FEELING car I ever had, yeah my mustang ran a best of 13.78 @ 103, the gal never woulda, but it sure feels wimpy torquewise...cant say that about the old high compression bigblocks.
that car was a absolute ball to drive, the bigblocks effortlessly quiet acceleration stuffing you back in the seat...the only way to fly in my opinion :)

good luck finding gas for it though, they liked 100 octane .
does it 'growl' when you shut it off? if so its running backwards- mine did it every time shut off hot, never realized it was reversed till I put a oil pressure gage in it, and at 'growl' the gage sucked to below zero in the blink of an eye. loved driving that car, the dash i think was one of the coolest ever made- except the goofy lefthanded radio

tim

#11 ·
Now the running boards i would have liked to have seen just so i could say i saw one with running boards once. Can't even think of saying i'd like them but would of been a sight to see! lol

#12 ·
and you shall see the runningboards! I also spotted a three cars in a field just out of the town that I bought the XL at. I have a feeling they are owned by the same guy that I bought mine from but I am not 100% sure. The Torino has a for sale sign on it.

Attachments

#15 ·
Nice 70! I dig the extra big cars from around that timeframe. I'd just put some nice dual exhausts on, maybe raise it in the back a tad, and put meatier tires on some vintage looking rims, and you'd be all set. Save all your stock bits in case you need them later.

#17 ·
Thanks for posting the pic, at least the running boards aren't what i envisioned but glad they are no longer there! lol I pictured big wide black plastic or something along that line.

That Torino and the fast back stang, 65 or what ever year i bet someone would like to have. The other too but not my thing. :)

#22 · (Edited)
those scoops are beautiful- and compliment the creases on quite a few Ford models very well! Ive got one for my 69 mustang, and a aftermarket one my son might put on his Mark VII. beware of aftermarket ones, they are poor quality, will need a lot of work, and the studs are all random.

cougar cyclone/mercury bobcat, think there was one other that shared the same scoop- the late bobcat ones had all the stud bosses for every application- I think :)

heres one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-M...Parts_Accessories&hash=item231e3a6843&vxp=mtr its got p/n pictured, put those in a favorite ebay search, theyyll email you when one is added, hopefully a fairpriced buy it now...good luck.

I kept searching, think I got mine for 200, some of them go skyhigh...bought aftermarket first, it was like 100 bucks wasted...

#21 ·
Running boards seemed ubiquitous in Saskatchewan in the late eighties and early nineties. People put them on everything. The one thing they did very well was keep the rocker panels from being sandblasted by the stuff being thrown up by the tires. The condition of the paint on he rockers and lower quarter panels of sherwin's car is testament to the protection the running boards provided. After I had my car painted in the early nineties, I installed big mud flaps to protect the paint from the road trash and to prevent the wheel wells from filling up with snow and road grime. I figured I can always take the flaps off when I want to, and still have paint on the rockers and quarters.

Great looking car Sherwin!

#26 ·
Great xl Sportroof!

I am lookin for one myself right now. I agree with the other posters the right scoop looks great. The 1969 1970 MERCURY COMET CYCLONE COUGAR HOOD SCOOP look perfect to me, I know that I am going to write that down.

As for paint colors I like the two-tone that is very rarely seen and plan to do that to my next XL. Just google 1970 ford xl two tone or look on cardomain.com at Cfisk's 1970 Ford Galaxie or others to give you some ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.