Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to class and a guy I have never seen pulls up on me and asks what i'm runnun. He had a 67 stang w/ a 302. We went out of town and went from 15 to 100. It was a really close race, I had him by about 5 feet eventhough I forgot to do my shift shuffle and hit 3rd at 3500 RPM. We pulled over and his car was sweet. 302 with TW heads, TKO, 3.73s, vintage 45s, 95 cobra buckets that matched his tan interior, the custom gauges w/ all autometer gauges, vintage AC, and on and on. I can't wait to see what my car will do with lower gears and a posi. Just makes me all that much happier that I maxed my credit card to build a good engine rather that just rebuilding a stock 289. I'm still smiling and it has been 3 hours

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
"Telephone poles looked like a picket fence"
~Hot Rod Lincoln~

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Mine was a '53 F-100 with a flat head & I lost miserably. Glad you won, now try the track so you don't pay to re-oave the city like I did.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. My first race was in my 68 302 Galaxie wagon against a 64 Impala with a 327. Talk about your dead even match ups. We musta took off from 4 different lights, neither one of us could get in front of the other. Got me hooked though, nuthin like the roar of a wide open V-8 barrelin down the road. I've sence moved up to better cars than that old wagon, but now and again I wish I hadnt sold it. Been kinda half assed lookin for one. Im gonna be startin my family soon, and I can think of no better vehicle for the job. Especially with a 406 c-6 combo.....

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't wait to get to the track, I really don't like to race on streets, but I couldn't help myself to see what my motor would do. I just don't want to look silly w/ a decent engine, but skinny tires and an open rear end. I also have to do some things to pass tech.
Question: if your battery is in the trunk, does it need to have a vented box? What about if I put an optima sealed battery in? I also run hose from my pump to carb, about 2.5 feet, which I think is a no no.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome to the world of Tech....I believe some tracks are more lenient then others, and some just dont have tech at all. My track doesnt worry about the vented box...but they want an external switch to shut off all power to the car in an emergency. The one thing that bugs me....is all the catchcans...They just look too funny when you have them all jerry rigged in the compartment. Good luck...and id call your local track for a list of tech rules, Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts