Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the sabbatical guys but I have been busy with my car and I only just figured out how to change my information. I am glad to be back. I have been on the station wagon forum trying to keep updated on my doings but I like the blogs here. It's all good. I'd like to show y'all some photos of my longroof and get some opinions. I was going for an oldschool look and I think I got it. Lets hear what you think. I found the new hood scoop at Summit and I think it make the car's front section look way better than my old one. the engine fits nicely in the bay of my car and I just have to do some tuning and such to get it just right. I have a low profile duel quad set up with a nice air cleaner that I am going to be adding soon once I get the bugs out of the single four. Not really for power as much as it is for looks. Not to say I won't like any gains in performance. I got these wheels at a super bargain and I like the look of them on my rig. I have had a few dismaying comments from my longroof brothers on the other forum but I like it.
Anyway, let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Looks sweet to me!! I love hot rod wagons!! I almost bought a 67 Falcon wagon but the guy wouldn't come down on price so I ended up getting the 68 Galaxie wagon. Let us know the motor combo you are running cause I am curious too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks sweet to me!! I love hot rod wagons!! I almost bought a 67 Falcon wagon but the guy wouldn't come down on price so I ended up getting the 68 Galaxie wagon. Let us know the motor combo you are running cause I am curious too.
I hand built a 427 Stroker out of a 71 351 block from scratch. No sissie crate motors for me. It has a Scat crank with a 4 inch stroke and eagle "H" beam rods. Making the ups and down are a set of Ross 4.125 forged pistons running a healthy 11-1 compression level. I have an Iskederian custom grind hydraulic flat tappet camshaft. (rollers are just too expensive and aren't allowed in the class I want to run.) with 544 int. 550 exh. lift. It is also split duration at 292 int. and 288Exh. 106 overlap. it has a nice, but expensive set of Victor Jr. heads with raised ports and some nice Harland Sharp rockers. Also the block has been "O" ringed. It has an Victor jr. (Style) raised intake with an Edelbrock 750 CFM carb. (A little small) And I have a custom made dual quad manifold made by Don Hampton before Edelbrock began to manufacture them for a 351. It is set up for dual 750 Edelbrock carbs. I am going to run it but mostly for looks. To put the spark to it I am using an HEI style Delco ignition distributor.
I also hand built a 67 C4 transmission with 6 spur gear planetary and Kevlar bands and clutches. I wanted it a bit streetable, so I only went with a 3000 RPM stall converter from Oregon Performance transmissions. I still have the 8 inch original rear end but I have a Richmond locker with aftermarket axles and a set of 3.88-1 gears. Going to change to a 9 inch later. Maybe. The car ran 11.15's last year but I need to do some work on my cage. (Don't want to get kicked off the track again!) I have yet to get it on a dyno, but I expect it is going to make a tad over 550 HP and around 590 ft. lbs of torque. The car is heavy. Some 3300 lbs but I expect the engine and the gears to overcome this. It has some Competition Engineering Slide O Link torque bars on the stock suspension but everything is new.
Anyway, I thought I'd run all this by you guys and see what you thought. thanks for the opinions.
Dave

·
Registered
408 Posts
That is a very nice build!! The only opinion I have is the carb choice but that is just my opinion. I built a 347 2 years ago with similar cam specs and used a Quick Fuel 750 on it and I fell in love with them! My friend at the performance shop that built my motor also tried one on his new motor and he agreed they are great carbs. Otherwise you got a great build there and cant wait to hear the numbers once you got everything set. Get some vid at the track if you can too! ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Cool car..How did you manage to bore that stock 351 block to 4.125?
I got lucky and was talking to my old friends in the old AK Miller shop and they said there was a heavy sleeved engine in the garage. Ak used to really push his luck when he was in a mood for more horsepower. I remember seeing it when I used to work there tinting windows but when the shop closed, I lost track of it. When I was told it was still there, I nabbed it for a "C" note and took it to the speed shop at Taylor Automotive in Whittier Ca. they did all the machining on it as they were the one who had put those thick sleeve in it in the first place.
I have bored blocks this much before but I usually end up with a stanley steamer what with cylinder wall so thin the piston would flex them out of round on the jig. They would run about 25 passes before grenading all over the place. That used to get the track officials a bit peeved at me as the cleanup usually was quite extensive.
Either way. I like the combination and am going to build another one as soon as I get done with this car

·
Registered
404 Posts
... The car is heavy. Some 3300 lbs but I expect the engine and the gears to overcome this. ...Dave
That is NOT heavy!!! I actually wonder how you got it that light! My '69 Falcon wagon weighs right at 3800 empty! With fuel, me, and the toolbox, the raceweight was 4030# the last time I weighed it.

I know my 4r70w adds some weight, and the lock-up converter is heavy as well. But with manual steering & brakes, and being a BASE model, I was shocked at what my wagon weighs.

Lee

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is NOT heavy!!! I actually wonder how you got it that light! My '69 Falcon wagon weighs right at 3800 empty! With fuel, me, and the toolbox, the raceweight was 4030# the last time I weighed it.

I know my 4r70w adds some weight, and the lock-up converter is heavy as well. But with manual steering & brakes, and being a BASE model, I was shocked at what my wagon weighs.

Lee
Her are the specs for the car. The fly weight of the car is at the bottom of the link on the left. Specs 1991 BMW 850i automatic

·
Registered
404 Posts
Her are the specs for the car. The fly weight of the car is at the bottom of the link on the left. Specs 1991 BMW 850i automatic

Dave, all I see are specs for a '91 BMW. I didn't see anything about Fords on that link. Your second post above is where I saw you mention 3300lbs.

Great car ;-)

Lee

1 - 13 of 13 Posts