Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Well, I took some pictures of my baby. My first engine, a 351w. I thought some of you might like seeing the serpentine belt setup I put on there. My engine has AFR 185's with 2.02/1.60 valves, holley 750 DP, Crane 230/240 @ .050, 108 lobe cam, crane roller rockers, edelbrock performer rpm air-gap, msd 6 a, stock dizzy, ford 9mm wires, etc etc etc. It has 3.80 gears, shift kit, with a mini spool. I'm shooting for 12's. And yes, it does fit under my hood!

http://www.dnetcomputers.com/pics

PS. Don't say anything about my engine bay, yes I know its crappy looking. I'll fix that later.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 66stang on 6/4/02 1:17pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 66stang on 6/6/02 2:34am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Looks good.
Pretty tight fit, judging by the header clearnce on the sides, eh?

(not knocking anything, but if you really wanna clean up the engine area, remount the alternator down on the passenger side, under the head). Again, not throwing any stones, just a suggestion........

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, see I only paid $50 for the brackets/pulleys. The other side was designed for an A/C and smog pump. I'll just keep it the way it was, because march pulleys wants $550 or so for their setup. Not worth it to me...

Chris
On 2002-06-04 07:41, drag79stang wrote:
Looks good.
Pretty tight fit, judging by the header clearnce on the sides, eh?

(not knocking anything, but if you really wanna clean up the engine area, remount the alternator down on the passenger side, under the head). Again, not throwing any stones, just a suggestion........

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. I got the brackets from a mid 80's lincoln town car. They were off of a 302. The bracket has 4 holes, 2 for a 302 and 2 for a 351. Works great. You do have to get a later style water pump. If you do go this route, make sure you get standard rotation.

Chris
On 2002-06-04 09:10, fnracing wrote:
Hey, nice looking engine. Was the serpentine setup hard to do?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What do you have in the upper hose?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Ok, you got the 351 in YOUR car. (looks terrific, by the way!) Now what I want to know is, where's the 331 stroker going? The '67? Is it gonna become project 10.99?? My combo is almost identical to your stroker project. Can't wait to hear how it does. Why doncha throw us a bone for gosh sakes!!!

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dragman64 - in the upper hose I have whats called a Gano Filter (can be gotten @ california mustang). It catches any rust particles or gasket maker that would otherwise clog up the radiator. For only $30, it was the best investment I ever made.

fxcomet - The 331 and project 11.99 is 67stang's setup. His goal is still as the name implies, 11.99, however with a more streetable setup. I'll try to get him in here to post about it, to see if he'll leak out any more information about it

My mustang is running sooo good. My 351w is such a beast compared to my old 302. I was cruising back from Jack in the Box at around 40mph. I punched it, and broke the tires loose and the car went sideways. Never before have I burned out while moving, especially at 40mph!

Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 66stang on 6/6/02 1:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Can you give more details on the serpentine setup? Do all 302/5.0 serpentine setups have the holes you mentioned for 351 mounting? If not, do you know which years and applications have them? Thanks.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the brackets from a mid 80's lincoln town car, type car. All that I saw from this era had this bracket setup. They were from a 302.. All the brackets have 4 bolt holes. 2 for a 302, and 2 for a 351 - obviously that screw into the head. The very top hole, has threads in it, however. So I just got a drill and drilled the threads out. You'll see what I mean if you go pick the brackets up. This allowed me to screw it to the head much tighter. Just make sure to get all the pulleys, crank, water pump, etc. I did have to adapt to a newer style water pump (had to go to hoseman to get a custom hose made) because the bracket doesn't support older style power steering pumps... The altenator bracket is what puts the tension on the whole belt. Make sure you get a standard rotation water pump as well (note the car/year and ask for a water pump for that car). The reason why you have to get a new water pump is, the standard rotation pumps with the outlet on the passenger side wont work. There shaft is actually a bit lower, and the power steering pump/crank pulley hit each other. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask...

Chris
On 2002-06-05 08:31, Tim1859 wrote:
Can you give more details on the serpentine setup? Do all 302/5.0 serpentine setups have the holes you mentioned for 351 mounting? If not, do you know which years and applications have them? Thanks.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 66stang on 6/5/02 11:11pm ]</font>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for the advise. I will make yet another trip to Pic n Pull ASAP.

BTW your setup looks great!
Keep an eye out for mine, I will have pics posted soon

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Looks sweet. But as Steve, and not casting stones, while your running an MSD you may want to seperate the wires instead of having them zapped in a cluster. Even 8.5 wires bleed.
Again, waiting to hear numbers from you. Don't keep us all in suspense.
Fred

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya, I know I just needed a quick fix to help hold them away from the header tubes... I gotta get my tranny fixered up, a battery box for my battery (need to be nhra legal), and a cutoff switch, then I can take her to the track..

On 2002-06-10 00:28, Blown54 wrote:
Looks sweet. But as Steve, and not casting stones, while your running an MSD you may want to seperate the wires instead of having them zapped in a cluster. Even 8.5 wires bleed.
Again, waiting to hear numbers from you. Don't keep us all in suspense.
Fred

1 - 13 of 13 Posts