Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got this out of California. VERY SOLID. This is my driver. Numbers on the engine block say its 428. The truck is a true GT but the engine code " Y " says it came with a 390. So I say its 390. Interior is a 8 out of 10!

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nice Rick.
Now if we could get then to outlaw salt we could drive them year around. Got caught in salt just a few times but that sure blew the quarters of my 67 Ranchero.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Got this out of California. VERY SOLID. This is my driver. Numbers on the engine block say its 428. The truck is a true GT but the engine code " Y " says it came with a 390. So I say its 390. Interior is a 8 out of 10!
Nice car!

I am sure you are right about the 390. C6ME-A I'd bet. Most common block out there and no bearing on whether it was cast with the thicker cyl walls for the 428.

Regardless, a 390 can run hard with some head and intake work, even harder with a crank and overbore to 445 cid!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nice score. Looks real clean! And your front trim is in enviously good shape!

One thing I did notice (and it might just be the camera angle), it appears to have a Torino/Fairlane front bumper on it, not the Ranchero one. The 68/69 Ranchero front bumper is unique, with slightly larger openings and turn signals in it.

Either way - nice ride!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Can you post an image of the correct bumper?
Hey FATNFAST, yes, would be happy to. Unfortunetely, I didn't see this before heading out for the holidays. As soon as I get back I will post some photos of the two bumpers. I have both, having bought a Torino bumper w/o realizing the differences.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Can you post an image of the correct bumper?
Ok, here are the pics, sorry it took me so long to get them up.

Here is the standard (and very common) 68/69 Fairlane/Torino bumper:

Notice the opening in the middle of the bumper is uniform all the way across, this appears to be whats on your car now. (Nevermind the dent in the bumper)

Here is the 68/69 Ranchero bumper:

Notice that the slot is not uniform, it has openings at the ends for the turn signals.

Here's a close up of what's different about them:

As you can see, the opening is unique, as are the mounting holes at the top to mount the turn signal.

If you poke around behind your headlight buckets, you should see something like this:

As 68/69 Fairlanes/Torinos all have the lights mounted in the ends of the fenders, I'm not sure why the Ranchero are different, since we have the turn signals in the bumper. Also, the parking lights in the fenders are only on with the headlight switch pulled out to the first stop, when the headlights come on (2nd stop), they go off. Turn signals operate independently.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was putting my grill / headlights back in yesterday and noticed that you can plug the parking lights in the ends of the fenders directly into the turn signal harness (both use matching 2-prong plugs). So, my guess for what happens is, cars get banged up, bumper gets changed to the more common Fairlane/Torino bumper and people just plug in their parking lights as turn signals.

My guess is that it would work. Do your turn signals blink the lights in the ends of the fenders?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what happens is, cars get banged up, bumper gets changed to the more common Fairlane/Torino bumper and people just plug in their parking lights as turn signals.

My guess is that it would work. Do your turn signals blink the lights in the ends of the fenders?

Yep, my turn signals work in the fenders. This is my driver so I'm not really concerned about my signals being in the bumper. If it were factory original show car I would change the bumper. You had me thinking I had like a 67 bumper on it which would be VERY obvious it was wrong! Mine will work just fine, but seriously thanks for the heads up on that Turn signal info...I had no idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As 68/69 Fairlanes/Torinos all have the lights mounted in the ends of the fenders said:
The reason Ranchero's had the lights on the bumper was that Ranchero's were considered trucks and for safety reasons they were mandated to have them on the bumper like all other trucks of the era.

Pic of my Ranchero.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts