Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, its been several months since I have posted. Ive been having too work 10-12 hour days to pay for my new money pit. Its a 67 mustang fastback which looks alot like Steve McQueens 68 bullitt.
The car has already had some mods done by the previous owner, which include four wheel disc brakes, ford 9" rearend with 3.25:1 gears, trans-go shift kit, montie carlo bar, shelby export brace, lowered stance, J code heads, cobra high rise alluminum intake, 4v pistons, and a mild cam. Now that the car is all payed for and I have saved up more money I would like too turn the car into a real street machine. My goal is to reach 375-400 flywheel hp and 340Lbs of torq. I have spent many hours deciding what parts to use to meet my goals, and I think I have come up with the right combo to get me their. 302 short block w/ 4v pistons Home ported J code heads,with 1.94 1.60 valves 10:1 compression Comp cams XE274H, Duration @ .050 Int. 230 Exh. 236, Lift .519 .523, Lobe 110' Hooker super comp. headers Biggs 650dp carb Rhoads Lifters Edelbrock Air-gap Intake or victor jr. 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust with exhaust cut-outs befor the mufflers. Stock distrbuter with Ingitor II, which will be recurved Stock oil pump to save a few hp Roller rockers 1.6 ratio 3.5 or 3.7 gear ratio 2400-2800 stall 17x8 Torq. Thrust II wheels The car will mostly be a weekend cruser which will see the strip every once in a while. One of my major concerns is my stock 302 short block which will be spining up to 6000 rpm, will it be ok to use the stock rod bolts or should arp bolts be used? should I use mechanical secondaries, or vacume secondaries, as well should I use mechanical advance, or vacume advance? Also would the original cobra intake be able to support the kind of hp I wont to make? All sugestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
If you are going to go through all of that trouble, why not put a stroked 351 in there. There is plenty of room and you will be able to make all of that power and be more streetable. It would only cost a few hundred more to do and you could always sell the old stuff. I planned on putting a roller 302 in my 66, and by the time I had all of the little costs to make 400 hp it was just cheaper to build a 393.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for all the missing periods and commas. When I wrote it I put all the spec's to the side as a list.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planing to put a 351W in ;However, when I bought the car It came with a complety rebuilt 302 with only 400 miles on it. I couldent justify thowing away a perfectly good engine, and If i sell it I would only get half of what was put into it if I was luckey. You are right though, I would be much better off with a 351W for the kind of power I wont to make. I guess I should go ahead and swap out my 302 for a 351W because it will cost me more in the long run to do the swap later. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
My best guess is that you'd get ~340hp ~360lb/ft out of that setup, To hit 400hp with a 302 you're gonna have to get up over 6000rpm I think. Probly more like 6500 (which means you should also pick out a solid lifter cam). And you'd have to do some serious porting on the stock heads to support it, your time and money might be better spent with some good aluminum heads, or if you're on a budget some Windsor Jr. or Sr. heads. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm still kinda a newbie to this engine combo stuff.

Just to give you something to compare to, I'm building a 289 bored .030 over, with Windsor Jr. heads (very lightly ported), Comp 282S solid lifter cam (236/236 i/e @ .050, .524/.524 i/e lift), Weiand Xcelerator intake, Holley 650dp, ~9.3 compression, roller rockers, 1-5/8" long tube headers, short dual 2.5" exhast. My best guess is about 360hp @ 6400rpm, 360ft/lb @ 5000rpm. You've got a couple more cubic inches than me, but less camshaft, and the stock ported heads might flow as well as the Windsors if you hawg them out enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im planing on porting my J code heads some what like I did to my 66 289 heads, which was in an earler post.
Since I decided to go with the 351W I will just have to enlarge the bolt holes on my heads and probably change the pushrod length.

·
Registered
669 Posts
i would agree that windsor snr's are for a budget but the porting is not!
......brian if you want 400hp out of your 302 just read the article "400hp 302" ,im no expert but i think you need to change you cam(solid minimum),heads,carb,diff,but i stand corrected.i have a 347 and i spin it to 6000/6500 its had no problems so far,now there's another option for you...........

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Very nice port job
Those heads should work well.My stock bottom end 302 sees 6000 rpm quite regularly and its lived for 15 years of street jousting and a little track time a couple times a year.What carb you use will probably depend on how loose of a convertor you use.I think that combo should come close to your estimated hp range.You could always spring for the arp bolts and spin the engine a little higher just to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts