Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this longblock is a BUDGET item.

It's being assembled from stuff I've had laying around the garage for a while.

I've already got the Mexican block, two sets of Boss 302 rods, (one set bored out and bronze bushed on the small end, the other stock) one hard chromed Boss 302 crank, and one that has not been chromed, but cross drilled. I've also got a set of Twisted Wedge heads and matching Probe 0.200" dome pistons that have been around a while. Which parts would you all use?

These parts, along with the carb, intake, rockers, oil pump, pan, etc. off the old engine... and a new cam, will be what the new engine will consist of. The old valve
springs/titanium retainers were fairly fresh, and a bit stiffer then they needed to be, so they will get re-used as well. It's not going to be super radical, just a replacement for the old, worn out 302 that was in it. As long as it runs a -little- bit better than the old one, I'll be happy.

It will get a solid lifter cam from the 'tight lash' series of lobes from Comp. I'm looking at a intake lobe measuring 242 @ 0.050", and am torn between a 250 and a 254 for the exhaust. It's a 306, and will be using a 200hp shot of the bottle. Shift point will be around 7200 rpm.

I bought the TW heads years ago. At the time, they were the best out there with a STANDARD height exhaust port that worked with over the counter headers.

I've got a standard bore Boss 302 block that had a ventilated cylinder wall (1/8" wide crack that does NOT extend all the way up to the deck, but was around 3-4" long) that has had a thick wall sleeve installed, but it will probably get saved for another project. I want to see how the 'short filled' Mexican block behaves on the street as an experiment. Hopefully the oil and water temperatures won't run too hot.

That's what I've got to work with... comments are welcome!

·
Registered
353 Posts
It sounds good Mike, and keep us posted. I am interested in seeing how the partial filled block does on the street. If it does well for you, i might put one in my daily driver (weekend warrior),lol.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I did get lucky around ten years ago and saw a Boss 302 engine in the local paper's classifieds for $500. I called immedietly, and the woman said her husband wasn't home, but someone was supposed to come look at it the next day. I told her I was on the way there... (It was an hour away) I got pulled over for going 84 in a 55 on the way, and got a warning after BS'ing with the policeman a bit about hotrods.

It had cracked stock pistons, one of which had come apart and cracked a cylinder wall wide open. (Stock Boss 302 pistons were BAD about that) But, it was WELL worth $500.

The hard chromed Boss 302 crank came from a local machine shop who used to do the process. I got it several years ago when they were cleaning out their stock that was never picked up for $250.

The Boss 302 had seven good rods, and the rest were purchased as two different partial sets for good deals.

The TW heads were bought full price when they first came out. (around $900) They were later sent back to TFS (free) to correct their defective rocker geometry problem. I paid good money for the pistons as well.

I bought one Mexican block for $100 off a buddy, the other cost me $200 at the big Columbus swap meet several years ago.

You've got to keep your eyes open, and be able to jump on deals when they present themselves. People often sell stuff CHEAP when they are needing money.

These parts have been acquired slowly in anticipation of building a replacement for the 289 headed engine. This engine just ended up lasting a LOT longer than I ever thought it would.

I want to have it ready by July 12, so I can take it to the Norwalk, Ohio Fun Ford race. Anyone else going?

Later!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hey Mike how do you like the Demon carbs, how do they compare to the Edelbrock and Holley's?

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are okay. I bought a 750 when they first came out to replace my slightly modified 650DP, but the car didn't go any faster. It did idle a little cleaner... I had to jet it up several sizes too.

I'd probably go with a Holley HP950 if I had it to do over again.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hey Mike, what do you think about edelbrock carbs, and is there any major advantage of holleys hp series of carbs over their double pumpers?
thanks,

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Edelbrock makes great street carbs. They are more responsive and get better mileage than the 'generic' cheap Holley #1850 (600) and #3310 (750).

Edelbrock carb come from the factory jetted a bit lean for my tastes.(the electric choke carbs are even leaner) A 'calibration kit' is generally needed to bring them in line. But, they are EASY to tune, and the instructions that come with the kit are easy to follow. I'd use the 750 on 302's with cams over 220 degrees @ 0.050" in the intake, and on any 351W. On moderate 351W's, I'd use the new 800.

The 'HP' series Holleys are a race bred double pumper. Everyone I've talked with really likes them. If you want a HP equivalent tuned exactly for YOUR engine, I'd give Bigs a call. They seem to do good work.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hey Mike, form stock, if i change to a RPM Air Gap manifold, a Holley 650 double pumper or an Edelbrock 600(not sure which one is better for my application), roller cam(not sure on size), aluminum gt40 heads, and a MSD ignition kit, add headers, Flowmasters with X Pipe, what kind of numbers do you think i will get over Stock? Would it be a good idea to throw a 302 crank/rods during the build up as well?
thanks,

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2002-05-31 10:05, HitmanKB wrote:
Hey Mike, form stock, if i change to a RPM Air Gap manifold, a Holley 650 double pumper or an Edelbrock 600(not sure which one is better for my application), roller cam(not sure on size), aluminum gt40 heads, and a MSD ignition kit, add headers, Flowmasters with X Pipe, what kind of numbers do you think i will get over Stock? Would it be a good idea to throw a 302 crank/rods during the build up as well?
thanks,
With what you're trying to do, the 650DP would be perfect. The early engines aren't set up for hydraulic roller cams. I'd stay with a flat tappet solid or hydraulic with around 224 degrees of intake duration. The Comp Cams XE268H is a great choice. The 302 crank and rods are a good move to improve torque, power and compression. Just be sure to use the pre-81 parts, because they use the same 28oz-in externally balanced flywheel and dampner as your 289.

There are definitely better heads out there than the aluminum GT-40's. If you aren't getting a screaming deal on them, I'd use AFR 165's or something.

Use a good exhaust with mandrel bent tailpipes ($99 Flowmasters from Summit)

As for flywheel horsepower... It should be somewhere around 340 to 390 depending upon all the variables. Sounds like a good combo!

Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts