Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two years of reading, shopping, preparing, and asking advice from you guys, my first ever project car arrives at my garage tomorrow (Sat. 4/20).

I bought a '73 Gran Torino Sport (fastback, are all "Sport" models fastbacks?). It will arrive at my house with no engine or transmission installed, but with a 351W ready for rebuilding.

The body still looks solid after the current owner fixed it up and painted it 14 years ago. Brakes and suspension pieces are two years old. It has a 9" with a 3.7 track loc. The interior is fair to good. The buckets were professionally recoverd.

The current owner pulled his 460 / C6 combination out for the 73 Mach 1 he is building. He also swapped the Weld Draglites and MT Sportsmans off the Torino for the factory sport wheels off of the Mach 1. The wheel swap is a plus for me since I intend it as a street cruiser, not a strip car.

I will post pictures when I can. This 43 year old newbie will also be burning up the tech board with questions shortly.

As I re-read this it does not sound as excited as I am, but I am pumped up!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Best of luck Tim! Your new life starts tomorrow. I know how you feel. After giving up the 'sport' to raise three daughters, I bought my Torino last year. Yah, they all kid me about second childhood and stuff, but I can tell you right now that I've had a Hell of a lot of fun this last year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good Luck Tim, you will find there are a lot of us getting back into this after 20 years off and we rely on the pro's who hang out here to guide us. This is the best forum going and you will find the people here will steer you in the right direction. Just don't talk bad about the Packers
!!!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talk bad about the Packers? While I live in the Chicago area now, I grew up in Detroit and I am still a fan of Detroit and Michigan teams. With the Lions and the Tigers, all I can do is sit in the corner and keep my mouth shut. No room for trash talking here.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Go Canucks!
There, thats all the ribbing I will give you Tim
Congrats on the new project, and condolences to the wife on becoming a future "Garage Widow".

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Nothing better than a cool car that rides well too. Try to get the wife involved... it really pays off! Mines as big a gear head as I am.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
That's geat you found the car you want to build. Now to find that $500 '68-'77 Lincoln or any 460/C6 car/truck for the drive train. Cubic inches rule especially for that fairly heave Torino. Have fun Tim!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's here!!!

Amazingly, it looks better today than it did when I looked at it at the seller's place.

Now, here's a dumb newbie question: What size bolts do I need to put the 351W on the engine stand?

Thanks for you encouraging words, guys.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great for you Tim. I think they are 7/16 - 14. Get some grade 5 bolts from the hardware store. Make sure they are the correct length because the top two holes in the block are blind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tim, I believe that the Gran Torino Sport could be had in the non fastback in `73. When I was in High school a friend of mine had one.
I agree with `89 coupe I'd get a "donor car"
and swing a 429-460 back in that engine bay, it would also be easier to put back together if you have a whole car to get everything needed to reassemble the Torino.
You didn't mention if the last owner grabbed all the brackets, and accesories from under the hood. If so you will save yourself alot of grief buy getting a complete car, for parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts