Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is shifted leftward maybe 3/8ths inch. It isn't angled at all. Both rear tires have the same clearance front to back. It is just shifted left.

Just about everything under there has been replaced. I seem to recall that the studs on the mid eye leaf's were large. I don't know if I have any wiggle room in the holes of the spring perches or not. Maybe that is the problem?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
How did you make the measurement?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once I noticed it looked odd I started tape measuring various points. I also used a level and a magnetic mount angle finder.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Buy and mount a adjustable panhard bar, and center up the rear end that would keep it from moving side to side

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Probably more likely your frame rails are crooked from the factory. When I had my car apart I noticed all sorts of side-to-side discrepancies. Guess they just don't make them like they used to... oh wait! :D

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
So is mine, I think its either the arthritis in my left hip or the repeated kicking myself in the rear for selling that 68 Fastback and 70 convertable.

No, I did the same thing with mine, it didnt look just right, and some measurements were off abit. Worse, when I dumped the clutch the car had an awkward lurch to the side.

Put caltrac springs and bars on it, fixed the lurching (probably a weak spring) and had a frame shop laser check the body, frame etc. It was in specs +/- 3MM (metric crap), so I flushed that mental turd.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Can I fix it? I'm going to try just jacking it up and take the tension off the rear springs, loosen up all the bolts and see if it will slide a bit to the right. I looked under there again and it looks like my u bolts on that left side are just a bit out of vertical. That may be throwing it off. I may have done this myself when I put the under ride traction bars on it.

I seem to recall that the leaf spring studs on the mid eye leafs were larger than normal too. I'm not sure there is any maneuverability there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Are you sure your perch is engaged in the leaf spring studs? I ask only because you're questioning their size.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both springs are flat against the perches. I can't remember now for sure but I may have had to drill out the holes to a bit larger size for those things to fit.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
So is mine, I think its either the arthritis in my left hip or the repeated kicking myself in the rear for selling that 68 Fastback and 70 convertable.

No, I did the same thing with mine, it didnt look just right, and some measurements were off abit. Worse, when I dumped the clutch the car had an awkward lurch to the side.

Put caltrac springs and bars on it, fixed the lurching (probably a weak spring) and had a frame shop laser check the body, frame etc. It was in specs +/- 3MM (metric crap), so I flushed that mental turd.

Hi Gydyup, where have you been? When my wife is standing still just itleing her rear is crooked :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I can't remember now for sure but I may have had to drill out the holes to a bit larger size for those things to fit.
Well IF you did indeed do this, that is the probable cause of it being that far 'off'. That being said its just a matter of squaring it back up and tightening it all back up. The panhard bar installed then will keep it in place... JMO

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It was in specs +/- 3MM (metric crap), so I flushed that mental turd.

3MM is WAY smaller than 3/8ths of an inch... Metric conversion to inches is 0.1299 of an inch... That is in no way an unacceptable tolerance i would think... Just an opinion and observation...

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had a similar problem some years back on my 67 Ranchero. I was loosing tire to fender clearance. Even drove it from Indy to the Carlisle Ford show and back. After a long time it was still getting worse. I then noticed some brake shoe showing, pulled the wheel, drum and axel. Found the axle working out of the bearing! I have been messing with these rear ends since 1964 and this is the first time I have had this happen, the bearing didn’t fail, just started to slide. The lock ring was completely off the bearing area of the axel.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
SANDING, STRIPPING, SANDING - and shooting a LOT of skeet, shooting season started last month.
Hi Gydyup, where have you been? When my wife is standing still just itleing her rear is crooked :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts