Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am posting this review after my great experience with the Mallory fuel system.

First of all, I have used the Holley Blue and Holley black pumps. I found that while both pumps pushed a lot of fuel, they were so ungodly noisy that I could not stand it. I tried mounting them in every possible way, but they were loud, hot jackhammers. I tried them with deadhead and return style regulators, the return style was quieter, kind of like a 100 pound jackhammer instead of a 150.

Next I tried the Aeromotive Street Strip pump with the Aeromotive bypass regulator. As before the pump pushed fuel like crazy, however, the pump was even noisier than the Holley's! Also, the regulator would creep up and down. I would set it for 6PSI, but I would see it between 4-8 PSI.

Finally I bought the Mallory 140 GPH pump and Bypass regulator kit from Summit. I installed the pump and regulator with a filter before the pump and a filter after the regulator. When I turned on the fuel pump relay I was disappointed because I didn't hear the fuel pump kick on and I figured I made a wiring mistake. However, I looked over at the fuel pressure gauge on the carb fuel log and saw 5 PSI! The pump was running but it was so quiet I could not hear it over the fan I had running in my shop!

Needless to say, the regulator was easily adjusted to a rock solid 6PSI that has NEVER wavered, even under hard acceleration. Also, I measured the amp draw on the pump and it was only drawing 1.9 amps.

The Mallory pump and regulator are without a doubt the best I have ever used. I have only had it on for around a month, but so far so good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the Summit pump and regulator, but it looks like the regulator is an Aeromotive, but the pump certainly looks identical to the Holley jackhammers. If that pump is made by Aeromotive, then Holley needs to sue them for patent infringement!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
no. i have the summit /aeromotive pump before they went to the holley style pump.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonys10sec306 on 3/22/06 10:50am ]</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have a mallory 140 pump but havent tried it yet i need a return reg for it.
My pump has two electric lugs on the top but my old 70gph had two wires coming out the top is yours the same mines second hand but works
I like you had a holley never again was so load and would occasionally freeze up

·
Registered
622 Posts
are you running a returnless fuel system??also how much HP will the mallory 140gph pump support with a 1/2" or -8AN line? Will it work without a return style regulator,and last but not least,if it requires a return style regulator where does the return line go bak to?the pump itself?

·
Registered
502 Posts
i use a 140 to supply alky to a 600 hp 408, race only. i have used both bypass and deadhead regulators successfully. the return from the reg goes back into the tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I run the summit/aeromotive also (not the one they currentlly sell), deadheaded into the same regulator and very quiet and works well 7psi, dead on for the whole run. 550hp, 420 stroker.

don

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Mallory has wires coming out of the top of it. Just a heads up, I was just at the Gatornationals last weekend and Mallory was selling refurb Comp 140 pumps and regulators for $140. That's almost half price!

I would never personally run a deadhead main fuel system again. I have went down the road too many times before. Deadhead is "OK" for racing, but for continuous street use, no way. Too much pressure creep, overheating the pump, fuel overheatings....

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I've had a Mallory 140 and a return system on the car for 5 years now with zero problems. Fuel pressure is set at 7 psi and never varies. You CAN run them dead head, but to get the maximum life out of things and keep the pump cool, I'd run a return system. With the regulator installed after the carb on a return setup, the carb has access to the full output of the pump should it need it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
how can i run a return line if i dont wanna get a fuel cell and my fuel tank doesnt have any provisions for it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a holley blue, it's loud, but you can't hear it over the exhaust anyway....

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
On 2006-03-22 09:50, MauriSSio wrote:
how can i run a return line if i dont wanna get a fuel cell and my fuel tank doesnt have any provisions for it?
Drill a hole in the top of the tank in someplace like the forward right corner and epoxy a #8 bulkhead fitting in the hole.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts