Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There been some anti-freeze leaking out of my 82 Fox body Capri. Upon further inspection I found a 3/4 inch hose stub sticking thru the firewall in front of the heater. Any ideas before I start tearing it apart???????? Could that line be a vent of some sort?????? And could my heater core be plugged????? Thanks. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yepper. drain hose for a/c. YOur heater core is bad. (and they are FUN to replace)............not.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I was afarid of that. Seeing it doesn't get driven in the winter I'm just going to bypass it for now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, those are encouraging words, thanks Virg

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, those are encouraging words, thanks Virg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry...........any time you gotta take the dash out of a stang/capri, its' a blood letting experience. Newer ones might be a little easier/nicer, but it's a pita no matter.

Good luck either way. :&gt

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Too bads it's and A/C car. On none AC early foxes you can change the heater core through the glove box like sliding out a drawer.

After '87 Ford used the AC style heater box even for non A/C cars. A TOTAL PITA for sure. but '87 up cars you have to pull the console and drop the steering column whn yanking the dash. Binderdundat...twice.
Early cars you should be able to swing the passenger side out for more clearance.

Stu

·
Registered
119 Posts
Try working at a dealership and making 'flat rate' on those heater core repairs................you can do it (after you've attained the proper scarring/special tools for sneaking/etc, etc), but it's still a total pain in the buttocks!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Good points made by all of you so far....especially the flat rates that Ford gives for jobs like this (what a joke...who comes up with these damn flat rates anyway?)

Anyway, I volunteered to put one in a friends' 85 GT. I did some reading up on it before I started the project...and just like everything that has been mentioned here, I read that it was going to be a righteous mother.

It really wasn't all that bad. Pull a few screws on the sides, a few on the top up by the windshield, drop the column down and pull the console. Then the dash just slides out. I left everything hooked up as far as the wiring goes, but I did have to disconnect the speedo cable as it was binding and I was afraid it might break that 20+ year old cluster if I left it on there. I 'creatively' used some wood blocks, towels, plastic bags, and whatever else I could come up with to hold the dash up while I dealt with that heater core. It helps a LOT if you have someone helping you! I didn't....

But in a nushell, it wasn't as bad as I expected. It was not easy by any means and yes I had I think 2 screws left over....probably out of the heater box...but once the dash is out it isn't too bad. It's easier if you have the A/C evacuated so that you can pull the box completely out, but it's not necessary. I didn't have it reclaimed...just went about changing the core and collecting a hard earned $200 cash.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I've been through that on a few Taruses... Gotta remove the WHOLE dash to get the heater core, but after the forst time it's no biggie...

FE

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HOLY CRAP......... Now I'm for sure goin to bypass the mutther........ Thanks guys.

·
Registered
739 Posts
On 2006-08-16 14:26, gttorinofan wrote:
There been some anti-freeze leaking out of my 82 Fox body Capri. Upon further inspection I found a 3/4 inch hose stub sticking thru the firewall in front of the heater. Any ideas before I start tearing it apart???????? Could that line be a vent of some sort?????? And could my heater core be plugged????? Thanks. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Had an '80 Fox bodied Capri and replaced the heater core. It was a bitch.
What exactly in the post makes us think his heater core is leaking? Mine was obvious, could smell the coolant in the car. He says the coolant is leaking and asks about the condensate line. He doesn't say that the coolant is leaking from it or inside the car.
What am I missing?
I've had water pumps leak and even freeze plugs leak too...

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
just read this threadv too,and what says it is the heater core also,like R CODE says"What exactly in the post makes us think his heater core is leaking?

this was gttorinofans post:

is this 3/4 inch hose stub sticking thru the firewall leaking?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After rereading that it is a bit confusing. Theres a piece of tubing about 3/4's of an inch long sticking thru the firewall with antifreeze dripping from it. Theres no smell of antifreeze in the car and the carpet is not wet. The drip on the floor of the garage is directly below this tube. It only drips when the car is hot and stops after it cools down. The tube is on the passenger side behind the heater. The puddle on the garage floor is only a couple inches in diameter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gttorinofan on 8/20/06 4:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
522 Posts
Guys,yall sweating the heater core,change the evaporator!! Get the cutting wheel out and cut the case open!! I do this for a living and done alot!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts