Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am new to the page as you can tell... But i came here because i figured if i could figure out about this car a forum would be the place. Well to start off my grandfather worked for the alcohol beverage control in the late 1950s through mid 1960s and he has always told me about these six cars they had, and only 9 made. Six of them were given to the ABC department in Greensboro, NC and the other three were given to the california highway patrol. I was just wondering if anyone on here had heard about this car. Because having heard about it my whole life i would like to see one providing there are any left. He isn't the sharpest on cars but he told me they were 4 speed in the floor, two thunderbird bucket seats in the front with no center console. He also told me they had a 427 with dual 4 barrel carbs. Another thing he told me was that they didnt have much chrome on the body. But any info on these cars would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Never heard of them myself. Might be a matter of finding the right combo of search terms on google to find the info. Sometimes it's picky on how you search it. Only group of cars i have heard of were cougars or cobras or something, forgot now, that were hauled around together on a truck/car hauler.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Well WHEN were they used? Has to be in the '60s for sure, but were they large bodied, smaller bodied or what.... Not much chrome, could have been anything, as low end models of the era cars were common and not 'flashy' with chrome... from the custom, to the small fairlanes...

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
I'm sure the OP was asking a genuine question and wanting an honest answer.
Nice way to greet him.

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
There are a lot of mysteries out there when it comes to these cars that's for sure! Most times someone else has heard of a story also but has had no luck finding anything to prove or disprove it. Keep asking somewhere someone might know something.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What he is describing was quite common in the day. You start with a basic police package and option a thumper engine. There have been several of those shared here lately. To actually find definite info on any one order, you would have to find a survivor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry guys i couldnt get back. He says 1963 ive searched all over the web. googled everything that i could think of i found one car that said one of four. But it was a coupe this car was a sedan. Ive tried to get more info from him but him being 81 his mind isnt all the same as it used to be. he said it didnt have any of the chrome that this model car come with usually.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
tcain, I would say it was probably a custom due to the chrome 'delete', and as Kultz said it could be anything. They spec the 'fleet-cop-taxi-service' cars, then spec them with the other "goodies". Maybe, just MAYBE try and do a back track starting at the dealer level, as they were usually sent to the "local" dealers for 'prep' and distribution. Maybe the same dealer is still there if not your probably "stuck". Except for the stories from your granddad, so enjoy the time you have together and just listen....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Anybody could be fuzzy on just how many there was built....I'd imagine they were to chase moonshiners with. The good-guys had ot have their own hotrods to make it a fair fight. I'd search archives at the ABC...There prob won't be paperwork describing specs on those cars still filed away....but there might be pics. Maybe even on the ABC website.

Ky didn't bother much with chasing 'shine haulers, at least I'v never heard any stories....But our State Police has a long history of driving Fords, and has some nice pics on their website.
http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/ Check out the cruiser at the top of the page....then scroll down th eleft side of the page to "History of KSP"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts