Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While changing the fluid & filter in my C-4 I found an odd spring I can't identify.
The tranny is out of a 1975 Granada & originally had the big 250 six. It ran & shifted well when I bought it 8 years ago. I took it out of the donor car and it has been in storage since. The T-Bucket I've been building is nearly done. I wanted to service the tranny with new fluid before firing it up.
I drained the fluid & dropped the pan. I removed the filter screen to clean it. Behind one of the tabs of the filter screen is a spring roughly 1/4 of an inch around and about an inch and a 1/4 long. It doesn't seem to do anything. I used a flashlight to look up into the hole the spring goes into. Nothing was seen in the hole except a smaller hole.
I reassembled it like I found it but it bugs me that I don't know what it does....could it be like a pressure releaf valve and a portion of the valve is missing & only the spring remains?
The old Chilton manual I have for the donor Granada has almost no information on the automatic transmissions. Can anyone clue me in?

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
There is a valve goes in that hole first then the spring then the filter.You need to find the valve.Without it i don't think you will have any gears.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow!! A response back all the way from Australia! Thanks for the reply...I need some more education though. What does that valve look like? Does it have a round top sort of bullet shaped? Or is it more like the head of a nail? Metal or maybe rubber? I've searched all around on the garage floor but I can't find anything. Thanks again for your reply Mate!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'll show you the valve I think... I have a pic of it...

PM me.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
It is the throttle pressure limit valve. If it is missing you can't get pressure to operate the transmission.
If you can't find it you can replace it with NatPro #26904.

That will get you a new valve and spring.

Paul

It goes in the valve body under the small tab on the filter.
put it in valve first and then the spring - hold it in place with the filter as you screw in the bolts that hold the filter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaulS1950 on 9/6/06 9:44am ]</font>

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who coached me along! Some friendly guys at my local auto parts store gave me a copy of a diagram that illustrates those parts. Got the parts too! They are in now & all appears good. Thanks Again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts