Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Do any of you guys know what these wires are supposed to go to?
They're under the left side of the dash in my 76 ranchero gt.

Something goes between those two female plugs, no idea what. Pretty heavy gauge wires... Something to do with the A/C?

The orange wire stuffed in there is the constant power to the radio memory, PO hooked it up that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Due to color differences in camera, lighting, and our displays - please list the wire colors for each connector.

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys.
Sorry for the delay, had to work this weekend.

2 female plugs off the same harness. 3 wires each. A loop that supposed to have a switch in the middle.
Same color/gauge wires on both sides. Looks like a 10ga red, no stripe or hash marks. A much larger gauge red with no stripe or hash marks. And a large gauge black with a white stripe.

Guessing the reds are faded red, could be a dark pink...
And the larger gauge wires are really big. I know it's not a great picture, I don't bend like I used to, but the orange wire in the pic is a 14ga. The small red wire is a 10ga... And the other two are huge.

I've got a 5 volume manual on CD for 75-76 Ford cars, but it doesn't have a complete wiring diagram for each model. It has diagrams of different sections... charging system, lighting system, HVAC....etc.

Mike, over at FCA postulated they may be for power door locks, which my car doesn't have. Power windows, not locks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Mystery wires Solved!

Yup, power door lock harness. The door lock relays are usually mounted on the brake pedal mount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts