Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are in the Ca, Bay Area.

they are taking on the urban myth about the guy that used a Jet assisted Take-off booster strapped to a 67 Chevy Impala. They intend to test it.

I know I'm interested, thought some of you migh want a heads up.

I don't know local channels or area of coverage, I see it on Comcast.

3pm sunday April 23, 2006.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 4/24/06 6:12am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, they didn't clock it...they were just trying to see if it would accelerate to the point that it would go airborne or flip over or self destruct (all were opinions offered by experts as well as a few "old timers"

As far as how fast it went...it was like the chase scene from Gone in 60 second (the newer version w/ Cage). The took the car out to the Dry lake beds in lower california, rigged up some remote controls. The had a 3 stage rocket booster setup, 1500 ft/lb of thrust (duration for 4 second each). The old Impala (a 1966 (They actually had a hard time finding one? Who'da thunk it?) lowrider with hydralics, that came in handy when they dropped the front and jacked the back, for aerodynamics). The engine was anemic, but good enough to get them to some where around 80 - 90 mph, before kicking in the rockets.

The helicopter (same type as in the movie) topped out at 130, the Chevy was just getting started. It left them, "like they were standing still". I wished they had a real or observed speed to document. but they didn't bring or setup any measureing equipment. When the first boosters kicked it, the chopper was staying with it, by the time the third one kicked in - the impala was just a speck of red tail lights on the horizon.

Oh, ya...no it didn't flip or go airborne or blow up. It just flat out kicked up some dust...and dusted the helicopter - until the rockets fizzeled out. Not a perfect end, but at least they proved it was possible, that the car, if modifed correctly (they installed braces to the roof which were welded through to the floor and frame.

They did some background on the story, to see if they could find any "truth" to the rumor ... contacted the Nevada Highway patrol (where it was supposed to have happend) to substatiate the rumor (they say they never found any wreckage ... maybe it was weather ballons? ... after all area 51 isn't too far away?).

All in all a great show, even though there was no wreck, no mayhem, no loss of life...damn! Those two guys on the show are pretty good, they aren't like the run of the mill clowns you see on the other "Adventure shows" (at least one of them isn't...the other is probably demented!), but they do stuff that most of us would love to try..except they do it with the skill and intention of surviving, to do it again

Famous last words before picking up body parts off a deserted highway..."Hey guys!...Y'all, Watch me do this...!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 4/24/06 10:31pm ]</font>

·
Administrator
21,760 Posts
I had seen that episode a while back. Sure busted that myth. I still say the whole thing as far as the story, was just that, a big story.
As for the show in general, I love it. Brainiacs is another one I like.

Deb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts