Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating my next engine upgrade for the Ranger's 289, and am thinkin that I'd like to get a set of 1.7 ratio rockers to get a little more lift out of the cam, and airflow out of the heads, without opening up the engine. I've already been told by a lot of the guys here that the Scorpion rockers are great, but I was looking around on eBay to see what's out there and came across this rail mount rocker setup:

(this is 1.6 ratio, but there was a 1.7 ratio set a couple days ago)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBF-FORD-1-6-ALUMINUM-SHAFT-ROLLER-ROCKER-ARMS-302-351W_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33624QQihZ014QQitemZ330029754697QQrdZ1

Judging by the price, I'm guessing they're made by some no-name brand like Pro Comp, so the quality could be questionable. But on the other hand, you can't deny the advantages of rail style rockers on high rpm engines (which I think my 289 qualifies as). So, what would you guys go for if you were in my shoes? the generic rail rockers, or the good-name roller rockers?

And along the same lines, what are the odds that I would need different length pushrods swapping to a different brand and ratio of rockers? Would the rail type be more likely to need a different pushrod length? I'd like to avoid having to change pushrods (cost savings, of course).

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I would go with the Scorpions, very nice parts at a good price. I'd hate to see all the little bearings from the no-name rockers end up flying around inside your engine.

·
Registered
991 Posts
No way would I run a no name shaft rocker, no way in hell. That could be catastrophic

·
Registered
202 Posts
yea i agree with bmcd66250, my buddy had a set of cheap crane's in his motor and thats a brand name and still one of them cam apart and needle bearings where everywhere

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
You would still want to check rocker geometry. Oh yea, go with the Scorpions or Comp Cams aluminum. (Dove)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 9/28/06 2:45am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, those were my thoughts as well... just wanted a second oppinion

fender2K: I'm actually running the cheap Crane (Energizer) rockers, they came with my heads (slightly used) off eBay, and I've had zero problems with them so far. Probably a lot of factors involved, like how wild the cam is, RPM usage, and just plain luck... but this is yet another reason for me to look at upgrading in the future, as maybe I'm pushing my luck with these rockers.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I've ran the Crane Energizer's alot in street motors w/o any problems, In Fact they used a similar product produced by crane in the mid 90's cobra motors. I would avoid the off shore produced stuff and stick with Crane, Comp Cams, Scorpion or Harland Sharp if you are going to go with Aluminum, if you are considering Steel, Comp Cams makes some realy nice Pro Magnums and Crower has some to.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
And if your looking into Shaft Systems Jesel and T&D are two really good options, I've run both with great sucess.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about the rocker stud girdles? Do they improve the high-rpm stability much, or are they more just for lots of lift and spring pressure?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I concur and the last thing I worry about is length, focus on a quality rocker, whatever you decide to buy

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
We went with the Scorpions on my son's 347 and no problems at all. Harland Sharps would also get my vote.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are World Windsor Jr. heads, so I think the rocker pads are supposed to be identical to stock heads. I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to do the rocker stud girdle, just something I'm considering... but if I do have that much cash to drop on the project, I'll definitely consider the probe rail setup.
I definitely won't skimp on the pushrods as well... if the geometry is off I'll change them for sure. But it would be nice if I lucked out and could use the same pushrods I have now since they are nice chromoly Comp Cams ones.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Damn, I have been gone a long time...I remember when I was reading these boards daily (and this was years ago), it seemed as if the Scorpion rockers were new and not trustworthy...

Glad to see they are a quality product after all.....

Jeff Given

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
As far a stud girdles go, if its a pure street engine (lower rpm and light spring pressures) they are not manditory. but if its a street / strip or race engine (high rpm and big springs) you realy want to consider them or look into the shaft systems if your budget allows.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On 2006-09-27 18:18, n2omike wrote:
When the World Windsor heads first came out, they used all Chevy hardware. Is that still the case?
I'm not sure, but I just looked at my build sheet from the shop that put the engine together, and the part number for my rocker studs is listed as a Comp Cams BBC 7/16 rocker stud.

·
Registered
991 Posts
On 2006-09-28 08:34, Motorhead wrote:
On 2006-09-27 18:18, n2omike wrote:
When the World Windsor heads first came out, they used all Chevy hardware. Is that still the case?
I'm not sure, but I just looked at my build sheet from the shop that put the engine together, and the part number for my rocker studs is listed as a Comp Cams BBC 7/16 rocker stud.
thats common to see that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts