Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I need to get a narrowed rear made for my Comet.So I put the old rear in place this evening and mounted one of my rear wheels to take measurements. Figuring a 14.4" tire section width on my wheels, that if I narrowed the rear a total of 9.5" (4.75 a side) Then the wheel/tire will fit with 5/8" clearance between tire and leaf spring, 1" clearance between tire and inner fender lip. I am moving wheel/tire closer to the leafspring than qtr. instead of splitting the difference because I think there will be less movement between tire and spring than there will be between tire and body. Plus if tire is going to rub I would rather it be tire to spring instead of tire to quarter panel. Also might be able to clearance the spring some or even get a narrower spring.
This is leaving quarter panel lip original, I could also clearance/cut the lip if I haavvvvvvvve to :cry: , don't really want to tho

First ? what you all think, enough clearance?? light rubbing?? bent metal??

Was also thinking of going closer to the spring. say I went 9.75" narrower, then tire/spring clearance would be .5" and tire/body 1.125". If I ended up with more room than need between tire/body I could always run a spacer to move tire away from spring?. If rear is too wide really can't narrow/take away spacer kwim?
Would this be better idea?

Also the 14.4 section width is going to be the largest possible tire I will be running. May be running something little smaller. If at some time I decide to run slicks I will get seperate wheel/tire combination prob 12/12.5

The car is still on the rotisserie so springs are hanging. not really problem for figuring width, But would like to do the length also, and maybe stretch the openings while still on rotisserie. When the car does have weight on it axle will move up and back correct?? OK LOL here is question anyone have any Idea how much?? or educated guess??
Probably just wait to stretch opening till I can load the suspension somehow.

Last? Moser, Currie, Strange. Any comments on quaility? build time? etc? I plan on buying a housing and axle package.
Thanks for any help
Lou

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Mine is lacking clearance on the fender and will rub on occasion and I hate it. More is always better so I think you're on the right track. I assume you're tubbing the car as well? Keeping the tire completely inside the body with good cleanance is best since you'll have to be able to install and remove the tires which means having enough room to get them off of the studs and out from under the fenders.

Seems logical but mine is pretty tight and I wished I had more room. My fault because when doing the axle narrowing and mini-tub I didn't have the tires/wheels so we were taking educated guesses and I'm paying for it now. It's not that bad but I could have done better. :frown:

Just keep in mind that the axle not only travels up and down but the twisting action when going around corners means the tires need room to move around inside the tubs.

John

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have 1/2" clearance between the tires and leaf springs and 1" tires-to-fenders, has never rubbed.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Mine is lacking clearance on the fender and will rub on occasion and I hate it. More is always better so I think you're on the right track. I assume you're tubbing the car as well? Keeping the tire completely inside the body with good cleanance is best since you'll have to be able to install and remove the tires which means having enough room to get them off of the studs and out from under the fenders.

Seems logical but mine is pretty tight and I wished I had more room. My fault because when doing the axle narrowing and mini-tub I didn't have the tires/wheels so we were taking educated guesses and I'm paying for it now. It's not that bad but I could have done better. :frown:

Just keep in mind that the axle not only travels up and down but the twisting action when going around corners means the tires need room to move around inside the tubs.

John
This may sound kinda uncool but it works. If you take a 12 inch 2 by 4 and wrap it in a towel , place on the inside of the fender letting someone hold it in place. Get you a hydrolic jack and place it under the fender and slowly jack the fender out. It will not crack your paint nor bend the fender . If I was to goto you house and do it you would wander how the tire got so far away and now does not scrub if I had not stated to jack it. it will not hurt car and will solve the scrub. Donot jack it out till all cracks, just adds some clearance.

My race car I adjusted the 4 link and only got less than 3/4s on either side and works well. Love to have a inch though

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

John
Thanks John.
Yea after all my work I really don't want any rubbing. The tires I would really like to run are 29/15.5/15 but going to be pretty close and they are kind of pricey choice B is 29/12.5/15 cheaper and I wouldn't have any clearance problems.
Not fullblown tubing it. kind of mini/midi tubbing it?? Moved rails in 5" (well moved 1 rail in so far) I tilted the top of the inner well in toward the trunk a little more than it was originally for more room in tubs. Spring mount is still outside of rail so I will have more clearance to well than to spring.

Lou

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Mine has 3/4" clearance at the quarter. About 2" at the inside of the tub. It will rub if I turn a corner too quickly. Not hard but it does rub.

The amount of clearance is also going to be dictated by what type tire. If you are going to run a dedicated drag slick, you'll want plenty of clearance. Street (DOT) tires, you can get away with a lot less. Slicks grow. A lot. And when you turn a corner they deflect quite a bit due to low pressures. Also if the leaf spring bushings are shot, the entire rear end is going to move a little laterally-also affecting clearance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine has 3/4" clearance at the quarter. About 2" at the inside of the tub. It will rub if I turn a corner too quickly. Not hard but it does rub.

The amount of clearance is also going to be dictated by what type tire. If you are going to run a dedicated drag slick, you'll want plenty of clearance. Street (DOT) tires, you can get away with a lot less. Slicks grow. A lot. And when you turn a corner they deflect quite a bit due to low pressures. Also if the leaf spring bushings are shot, the entire rear end is going to move a little laterally-also affecting clearance.
Does it rub the quarter? What type tires?
Haven't bought rear tires yet but I am looking at Hoosier Pro Street Radials. they are street tires. The rear springs will get new bushings. I have new solid bushings for front of rear springs. Will put rubber bushings in rear.

Lou

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Does it rub the quarter? What type tires?
Haven't bought rear tires yet but I am looking at Hoosier Pro Street Radials. they are street tires. The rear springs will get new bushings. I have new solid bushings for front of rear springs. Will put rubber bushings in rear.

Lou
get your tires/wheel first , then the axles/housing . know if there is pinion offset needed

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have less than 1/2" to the leaf (I'm using composite leafs and aluminum bushings) and no rub.

In a previous setup with regular leafs and rubber bushings I did get minor rubbing at the leaf when pushed in a turn.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
get your tires/wheel first , then the axles/housing . know if there is pinion offset needed
Thanks Dan,
But wheels and tires first not really a choice for few reasons. Have the wheels but rear tires will come later.

Pinion offset needed ? I don't think so but going to ask whoever builds axle.
Offseting pinion is to get equal length axles? Did my stock rear have pinion offset? Want my driveshaft to be centered in car.

Lou

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have less than 1/2" to the leaf (I'm using composite leafs and aluminum bushings) and no rub.

In a previous setup with regular leafs and rubber bushings I did get minor rubbing at the leaf when pushed in a turn.
Thanks Slow

I have aluminum bushings for front of spring but going to run reg springs at least for now. should I get aluminum bushings made for rear of spring??

I'm happy to hear others have gotten away with the 1/2" clearance

Lou

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Thanks Dan,
But wheels and tires first not really a choice for few reasons. Have the wheels but rear tires will come later.

Pinion offset needed ? I don't think so but going to ask whoever builds axle.
Offseting pinion is to get equal length axles? Did my stock rear have pinion offset? Want my driveshaft to be centered in car.

Lou
do ask the housing builder lots of questions , he's going to ask you a lot of them

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
X2. Tires mounted on wheels and aired up before ya do anything.
Tires are pretty pricey, 320ea, Been watching Racing Junk and craigslist for deal on them. Maybe someone that had eyes bigger than their wheel tubs will be selling a set lol. Seen a few pairs but they were 31 dia:(

Also have the one tub done which handles the width but I am going up in Dia also. So wheel/tire combo won't fit till I stretch the wheel opening.

I installed my old rear and mounted the new wheels took my measurements then.

Thanks
Lou

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do ask the housing builder lots of questions , he's going to ask you a lot of them
Can't be that hard. Need a housing with 31 spline axles that is 10" narrower than what I have. Tell them what I want and give them my CC#.

Didn't think it was that involved

1 - 16 of 16 Posts