Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unable to find bushings for the panhard/track bar I am trying some internet lore. Bought four Napa 2746514, two for each end. Cut off the skinny part and the two pieces that were left fit sungly into the bar. The inner housing will fit through the hole in the bushing in my hands but not when they are inside the bar. Too tight. Using a bolt and washer affair I can press but the rubber deforms and comes back out.

There is just too much rubber in there. I am trying to squeeze a 1" x .75" housing into a 1" x .60" hole.

Question: How mch more rubber do I need to cut off the bushings so that they will compress in the hole? As a kid I never made it through geometry.

Backup question: What should I be doing that I'm not /alternatives /sources /tips /etc?

PS: The diameter of the opening in the bar is 1.10".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
try using some liquid soap or syntetic lube . ..
helps with installation of rubber parts in tight spaces

·
Registered
207 Posts
there is a ES part number for that. I bought a set for mine from autozone and ended up not using them because I bought the Sphon adjustable. I get the number later if you like.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there is a ES part number for that. I bought a set for mine from autozone and ended up not using them because I bought the Sphon adjustable. I get the number later if you like.

That woudl be great. All I can find for mine cost $100. How did your adjustable work out?

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a Keystone lighht I'm thinking that widen the bushing hole to .75" to match the .75" sleeve would be the smarter play. Is there a need for the sleeve or bushing to be in there real tight?

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
lube the snot out of it, press a 5/8 pin in with a washer around it to press against/hold the rubber back, put a 5/8 deepwell socket over the washer, on the other side, gently radius(slightly- you need a flat once its installed for the bracket to hold) the outside of the 3/4 bushing, lube the snot out of it, stack the slimy mess in a benchvise and drive it in...the pin should support the rubber, the pin wont fit thru the bushing, so it will push into the socket, etc...

well maybe :)

they did some tanktrack shoes, some damper-ringed slipyokes, other crap at work over the years, with support and enough force, they go together fine- the rubber just gets MUCH wider once the parts are assembled, some damper parts rubber rings would nearly double in width as they were pressed together...it has to go somewhere :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
LUBE the snot out of it like mentioned. (silicone spray, dawn dish soap etc....) with a vice and lube it WILL press in....

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
After a Keystone lighht I'm thinking that widen the bushing hole to .75" to match the .75" sleeve would be the smarter play. Is there a need for the sleeve or bushing to be in there real tight?
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! It should be TIGHT or it will wear out faster than an Eraser on DanH's pencil!

Put in your bushings and use a clamp or lay it on it's side and use a BFH and whale it in there. :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
lay it on it's side and use a BFH and whale it in there. :)

I was trying the more subtle approach there FE, but I LIKE the way you think..... lmao!!!

Yeah dont need a mathematician, just a BFH and an attitude...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I forgot to look at my list last night at home. here is what i dug up for a 68 which i believe is the same. Energy Suspension 9.9108 Flange - Link Type Bushing

the story on my adjustable is....well its on my 'updated frame' i haven't moved my body onto yet.....I guess I am going to have to start working on it again once this semester is over, and do a thread on it.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Genius, did the Spohn bar fit in okay? Could you use the old bolts? My original is 32" long C-C but I really need 31" now, will the bar adjust to that small?

I have abandoned the effort to squeeze those Napa 2746514 bushings into the panhard bar. I could give the Energy Suspensions bushings a try, and maybe some other leads, but don't want to draw this project out all winter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Genius, did the Spohn bar fit in okay? Could you use the old bolts? My original is 32" long C-C but I really need 31" now, will the bar adjust to that small?

I have abandoned the effort to squeeze those Napa 2746514 bushings into the panhard bar. I could give the Energy Suspensions bushings a try, and maybe some other leads, but don't want to draw this project out all winter.
it fits fine on my 66, If I remember correctly it came with enough to shorten or lengthen to what ever you would need within reason to the original length.

I can measure it tonight and let you know how small it can go. I am making a reminder in my phone so I don't forget to look for you after work ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts

it fits fine on my 66, If I remember correctly it came with enough to shorten or lengthen to what ever you would need within reason to the original length.

Sphon has replacement bolts if you need them. If I remember correctly they are all the same I.D.

I can measure it tonight and let you know how small it can go. I am making a reminder in my phone so I don't forget to look for you after work ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
ok, my factory bar is 32 1/4" center to center, i have my new one set at 32" and there is a inch left on either side to turn it in to 30"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts