Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TRYING TO ELIMINATE A HARMONIC VIBRATION AT HIGHER SPEEDS 72+. HAD THE RIMS CHECKED, ONE WAS BENT AND STRAIGHTENED. CAR IS BETTER BUT STILL HAS VIBRATION.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

WHAT IS THE BEST SOURCE FOR 1970 STEEL WHEELS NEW OR USED 14 X 6?

CAR IS 1 OWNER WITH P205/70R14. ORIGINAL TIRES WERE THE POLYGLASS.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: animaldave3 on 8/7/06 9:37pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
There were rims for drum brakes and disc brakes. Make sure you get proper style before purchasing. I was thinking the standard wheel for 1969 and up for cars with a V-8 was the 14x7 rim. This was available on most intermediates through about 1975 or so. I have couple sets of the older Boss series here and they are wider yet, for they are based on 60 series tires.

As for vibration. I went to older Sears store once, and they used something like a vacuum cleaner to balance tires. It was set under the car with rim/tire still attached. It then would take into adjustment irregularities in brake drums also. Worked real nice and smooth until they converted over to Off-mounted balancing because aluminum rims were really getting popular. Look for poor balancing by simply jacking up the affected (usually front) corner, then spin the wheel. Mark low point with crayon, the spin again. Ought to be different point stopped at bottom. You can balance the tire to less than one gram, but if drum is out or wheel bearing going bad, it won't make it go away.

Wm.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yep, they made a bazillion of those things. If you weren't in vermont, I'd give you a set.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Factory 70 five lug steel wheels were 14X6 standard, 14X7 optional, dependant upon suspension, engine or tire size optioned. No difference in 70 between drum and disc brake wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts