Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, got a 351w in a 73 mach 1 of course the 73's mostly likely come with the windsor but my dad put it in there.

well on the original style radiator (it's new) it has the bottom inlet on the driver side. however the orginal 69 351w (it's where dad got the engine out of) has the outlet on the waterpump on the LEFT SIDE (passenger side).

when my dad did my engine he went to a local part store and just got a 351w waterpump that has the outlet on the other side (DRIVER SIDE).

i went to the parts store and bought a 69 351w water pump but when i looked at mine, the outlet was on the other side.

ANYBODY KNOW AROUND WHAT YEAR THE 351W WATER PUMP OUTLET WENT TO THE DRIVER SIDE?

OF MAYBE JUST A CERTAIN CAR, PERHAPS A COUGAR, TRUCK?

maybe the later 70's 351w's have the waterpump outlet on the driver side?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yea i forgot to say, i know why you guys will just say "why don't you just ask your dad"

well the answer to that is, #1 he lost the receipt and #2 he's on the otherside of the world right now. i'm in the USA and he's in he Philippines. where he's at has no phone. and he hasn't called since he got there (2 weeks ago). i guess mom and dad are freakin having a good time without me and f#%!en leaving homealone.

so i can't call dad and i need to do this soon cuz the water pump gasket all of a sudden started leaking and the bearing in the waterpump i shot and makes a TON of noise.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XolieX on 6/5/02 2:50pm ]</font>

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well I believe and this could be wrong but my 73 351W has it on the driver side but not sure about the 70-72 year range. Now my question is exactly why do you need to know is it because the almighty auto parts god
needs the year of the car to figure out what waterpump? Gotta to love that had same problem when I put a 351W in a 79 granada as that year didn't come with it.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
make sure you get the right rotation!

·
Registered
314 Posts
69 was the only year 351W with the lower outlet on the passenger side. In 1970 it went to the drivers side. 302 also changed that year.

Just ask for a 1970 water pump.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah I found that information last night while reading a new book I just received they switched back to driver side outlet in 1970 . Hey were the mustangs available in 73 with a 351W and if so just ask for that one and take a look at it before you buy to verify its correct.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks man, i got one from autozone today after i read your post tonight and the other guys. i got one for a 1974 galaxy 351w. thank god autozone is open until midnight now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
'69 was the only year the 351W was available from Ford in a 'stang. Supposedly, there were a few 70's that received Windsors, but no reliable source has been able to confirm or deny that fact. I've never seen a 70 up stang with a 351W in it that has the correct vin # stamped on the pad behind the intake. 70-73 Mustangs and Cougars all came with a Cleveland engine. While the water pump uses the same basic casting, it is machined differently.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hemikiller: In 1970 you could get a 2bbl 351w. That's where I got mine. Weird year you could get a 2bbl W, 2bbl C, & a 4bbl C.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wonderful thing about production lines, if it'll fit, and we're out of the "correct" part, and last years parts are hanging around, then in she goes, and out the door to the dealer.

Good example of "must go" production....

'72 grande', 351C-2v, had an "N" case rear w/2.75 open, 351CJ oil pan, 4v iron rocker fulcrums (2v normally had aluminum), variable ratio steering box.

'73 grande', early production, had chrome frt fender extensions and hood chrome.

anyone else seen any weird stuff?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, Ford was great that way, but mine is a 70. Heads are 'DO0E' and the block casing date is in 70, but I don't remember the exact numbers.

Every time I go to a Mustang show, I see some different non-period stuff that got put onto a later year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts