Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new FlowKooler high flow water pump on my tri power 406. Want to install a new 180 degree ????? thermostat. I am having a hard time finding one. Can anyone post a link for a quality 'high flow' thermostat for a tri power 406.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I just painted up my FlowKooler 1642. Like a lot of things unfortunately, I'm in the middle of that project due to related delays. I got the FlowKooler Robertshaw 330-180 thermostat but the problem is that it's 2-1/8". It's a little smaller then it should be for an FE. They say the have something called " interface ring that allows you to size up your 330 and get the benefit of high flow." I haven't found any evidence of such an adapter available but that just means it's possible.

This may be what you're looking for if you need a 2.5" diameter. I believe the standard FE is 2-3/8".
Cobra Valley's Balanced Thermostats

I never ran a surge tank but my Offy had the large hole so I ran with the thermostat held to the housing with the gasket. It wasn't ideal but I was young.

Hope this helps.

-Shawn

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just painted up my FlowKooler 1642. Like a lot of things unfortunately, I'm in the middle of that project due to related delays. I got the FlowKooler Robertshaw 330-180 thermostat but the problem is that it's 2-1/8". It's a little smaller then it should be for an FE. They say the have something called " interface ring that allows you to size up your 330 and get the benefit of high flow." I haven't found any evidence of such an adapter available but that just means it's possible.

This may be what you're looking for if you need a 2.5" diameter. I believe the standard FE is 2-3/8".
Cobra Valley's Balanced Thermostats

I never ran a surge tank but my Offy had the large hole so I ran with the thermostat held to the housing with the gasket. It wasn't ideal but I was young.

Hope this helps.

-Shawn
Thanks Shawn it does help. My FlowKooler 1642E came yesterday. Like you they recommended to me the same thermostat which I did buy. But I also bought on Amazon the Stant Superstat as a backup. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CKPIAK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Your right about the size of the Robertshaw, way smaller than the Stant Superstat which is 63 millimeters or 2.48 inches. Boy, we are going to end up with thermostats out the ying yang lol. ---- Let me know what you decide to do.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Thanks Shawn it does help. My FlowKooler 1642E came yesterday. Like you they recommended to me the same thermostat which I did buy. But I also bought on Amazon the Stant Superstat as a backup. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CKPIAK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Your right about the size of the Robertshaw, way smaller than the Stant Superstat which is 63 millimeters or 2.48 inches. Boy, we are going to end up with thermostats out the ying yang lol. ---- Let me know what you decide to do.
So... I was cutting a new housing gasket and grabbed an aftermarket replacement housing out of the toolbox and found out that it has a 2-1/8" recess for the thermostat, not the larger one that the original housing has. The thermostat is still larger then the hole in the Edelbrock intake so it will work for me fine if I use this housing.

Did you end up ordering another thermostat?

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So... I was cutting a new housing gasket and grabbed an aftermarket replacement housing out of the toolbox and found out that it has a 2-1/8" recess for the thermostat, not the larger one that the original housing has. The thermostat is still larger then the hole in the Edelbrock intake so it will work for me fine if I use this housing.

Did you end up ordering another thermostat?
No I just have the two. I am installing the FlowKooler pump next week and will decide which of the two stats I will use then. Will let you know how it went.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
For those of you with a big thermostat opening and big housing, Chrysler 440 uses the big thermostat too. Usually readily available at any parts store

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I just have the two. I am installing the FlowKooler pump next week and will decide which of the two stats I will use then. Will let you know how it went.
Well I decided to install the Stant Superstat, the one from FlowKooler was just to small. Ill see how it works in conjunction with the FlowKooler and Cold Case radiator. My Gal will be back on the street fairly soon to test it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts