Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know the locations for balls and rubber disc in the valve body of a late 65 to 66 Mustang C4.
I cant find any info on this production run. I do have some pictures of the valve body sections but the guy who pulled it apart didn't mark them. My tranny shop is closed for the next few days and I can't get any info from them - does anyone know where I can get reliable info?
PaulS

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are no balls used in the above valve bodies. There is a single flat rubber disc used at the #2 position in the above picture and it is best to leave it out to improve the second gear shift.
For those of you who believe that this information is available in the Chilton or Motor manuals - you are mistaken. Ford dealers do not have the info either and transmission shops don't have it but they will sell you a shift kit for $35 that tells you which balls to use after you install the kit. I did find someone who had rebuilt one of these trannys (this year) who gave me the right information. I have since duplicated the information and placed it in my archives. I normally would convert an older tranny like this to the late 72 - and up valvebody. That way it will accept the mods that I am used to doing and there is no time consuming job of tracing out oil circuits to find out where and how much to drill and which vales need special attention.
So, Thank you for the information. Remember to archive even the information that you think you will never need because some day someone is going to need that little piece of information that you will never need and you might be the only person who has it.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Without other mods it doesn't make a big difference. If you disable the intermediate accumulator and drill out the restrictions in the separator plate it makes it shift "firm" but managable. If you increase main line pressure it makes it "stout".
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts