Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to put an air confitioner in the garage. That means closing the door and adding lights. I was looking at a brace of T8 flourescents for the ceiling over the engine but... as you can see from the pic the hood will block the light. I doubt this is the first time ever for this problem, looking for some ideas!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
How about a 4-footer with padded hooks and just hang it under the hood from the stock holes? Like a super drop light. BTW - it's a PITA to work only from the sides, and also have to go around the rear bumper 87 times an hour. It gets real old real fast. Maybe you can flip it or move it further back?

David

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanx for the idea, I see there are some predrilled holes in the sides of the hood support that are 48" apart :) I was looking at putting some on the 2" wide horisontal door supports but not sure fluorescents will like all that movement.

Yes, all my tools are on the other side -- of course! I will have some space in front as wide as a sawhorse, I'll try it like this for a while and see if it is enough.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
How about a 4-footer with padded hooks and just hang it under the hood from the stock holes? Like a super drop light. BTW - it's a PITA to work only from the sides, and also have to go around the rear bumper 87 times an hour. It gets real old real fast. Maybe you can flip it or move it further back?

David
Build a dog house on the door that tips out like a 5th wheel? Accordian style. Some of these garages just don't have enough room. I have bout that much or less on that end and the other end is in the doorway to the living room so i stand on the step for over half the front. Too bad they didn't make something like that but don't see how it could be done. Maybe you could have a 4 footer that is cabled so it can be lowered or directional spot light set up. Never seen one on but might be able to use a clamp on light to clamp on the door that is aimed right direction.

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Never seen one on but might be able to use a clamp on light to clamp on the door that is aimed right direction.
This is why I ask here! I might see only one or two things, folks here finish up the list. Maybe Deb I was too focussed on fluorescents,

Edit: these halogens are what you were picturing? 150 Watt Portable Clamp Light

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
Fix a 8'er to the 4th panel of the door from the floor. Have a plug in on it and a cord , plug it in when you need light. I like the drop light IDEA. Gona build one. THANKS..

·
Registered
695 Posts
Something else to consider since your garage walls are all dry walled is to paint everything inside your garage with either semi or gloss white. I used semi gloss in my garage and used the daylight flourescent bulbs in all my fixtures and it is nice and bright in there now.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
you might look at mcmaster or grainger and check out dock lights- they sell swingarm lights that towmotor drivers aim into trailers when unloading, dont think they cost much, easy to move out of the way.

windows let in tons of daylight, but if its not where you are working, it makes the lighting far worse as the sunlight makes your eyes adjust/lights seem way dimmer relatively speaking...if you have any windows in other parts of the shop, try working in existing lighting at night- it might seem better than during daylight- if so install some full blocking curtains that can be closed when not working in front of the windows during the day... a lot of windows floods in light great, but one away from where youre working can make your work area seem very dark.

edit- heres a dock light on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LumaPro-40-...ultDomain_0&hash=item53ecabf5ec#ht_500wt_1416

and a link to mcmasters page:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#dock-lights/=hiekqh (they cost a little more than I thought)

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fix a 8'er to the 4th panel of the door from the floor. Have a plug in on it and a cord , plug it in when you need light. I like the drop light IDEA. Gona build one. THANKS..
What's an 8er?

If I go with a light affixed to the door, I was thinking power for it could come from the receptacle next to the door motor on the ceiling. But when the door opened the cord would hang down. Is there such a thing as a stretchy extension cord?

·
Registered
977 Posts
What's an 8er?

If I go with a light affixed to the door, I was thinking power for it could come from the receptacle next to the door motor on the ceiling. But when the door opened the cord would hang down. Is there such a thing as a stretchy extension cord?
I took an extension cord apart and ran it thru a coil air hose. I use it over the sanding table in my wood shop. when I'm done sanding ,I unplug the sander and the coil goes back up..

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I use a LumaPro-style retracting extension cord in my shop. Love it. Works just like my retracting compressed air line, ratcheting out, and with a tug it releases and spring rewinds. YES, there are less expensive ($25-50) versions out there.

David

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
They have retractable drop lights but never have used one. I wonder if they wouldn't be like vacuum cleaners and after a short while the durn thing won't retract or won't retract all the way.
Here we have two 4' double light flourescents that aren't hard wired but plug into an outlet in the ceiling. Every time we turn around the bulbs are blown. But they are cheapo walmart ones, not sure if quality when it comes to that is any better by brand or not.

8er i think he is meaning 8 ft.

PS: after i hit send i saw psig answered on retractable same time! Didn't look that up to see price but probably work better than the $25-50 ones.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
A couple of comments on the posts so far.

1. I have used the same retractable drop light for over 40 years and it still winds up like it was new. Now quality may have been better 40 years ago, but surely someone still makes a good one. I like even better the new led or flourescent because they put off less heat.

2. Forget the halogen light clamped on the door unless you want your back and neck blistered. They put out so much heat I use them in the winter to warm up the garage. They are great in certain uses, but I wouldn't want one a foot or two from my back.

I also live and Texas and would love to have AC when working on my car, and my garage is my Man Cave even with a pool table, but I refuse to give up the space for the comfort of AC. Just an opinion, like a belly button everyone has one.

·
Registered
977 Posts
They have retractable drop lights but never have used one. I wonder if they wouldn't be like vacuum cleaners and after a short while the durn thing won't retract or won't retract all the way.
Here we have two 4' double light flourescents that aren't hard wired but plug into an outlet in the ceiling. Every time we turn around the bulbs are blown. But they are cheapo walmart ones, not sure if quality when it comes to that is any better by brand or not.

8er i think he is meaning 8 ft.

PS: after i hit send i saw psig answered on retractable same time! Didn't look that up to see price but probably work better than the $25-50 ones.
YOUR SO CORRECT..8' is a 8'er

·
Registered
718 Posts
i am an electrician. stay away from 8 foot flouresent tubes. use 4 foot tube fixtures only. if you need 8 feet , get two 4 footers and put them end to end. one 8 foot tube use more electricity than two 4 foot tubes. one 8 foot tube cost more then two 4 foot tubes. 8 footers are still made because some commercial businesses still use them and there are lots of old fixtures still in use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts