Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I'm a little overwhelmed by all the lifters on the market. I have to use a hydraulic flat tappet cam, because my E-Street Heads will not work with a roller cam.

I have a hydraulic Edelbrock RPM cam & need a GOOD set of lifters ?
The cam is in a CHP 331 PRO Street short block.
I like the idea behind the Rhoads Lifters, but do the really work ?
Cam Specs. : Edelbrock 7122 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Cam and Lifter Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Would appreciate any input, advice !!

Terry

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
What's wrong with the Edel lifters? BTW - the only reason the heads are not rated for roller lifters is because of the springs they install. You can run a roller with them, but you'll have to upgrade the springs as the rollers are heavier and have faster rates. For those heads and your purpose, a flattie will be fine.

David

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thoughts were the same on Rhoads ?
I think I'll just order a set of Comp or Crane Lifters from Summit...

Thanks !

Terry

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
My brother ran a set of the rhoads lifters many years ago in a 302..They did seem to work well but he didn't like the tic tic tic sound that they produced..The engine did get great gas mileage and had good low end power with those lifters..

·
Registered
371 Posts
The Rhoads lifters do indeed work, but they are noisy. They work by bleeding down at low rpms. When they are bled down (such as at idle), you WILL hear all that slop in the valvetrain. It will chatter quite a bit.

BTW, PSIG is right about just needing to change the springs in order to run a roller cam. For me, it would be worth it. Roller cams rule. Would never go back to a flat tappet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was told I would need the springs seats machined in the heads to make room for the taller & stronger springs ?

There is a thread in another forum can't remember, but the guys were bitching about the E-Street heads- dead in the water for a roller ?

I'm going to give Edelbrock a call tomorrow & get it from the horses mouth...
I bought the heads when they first came out. Edelbrock told me the only difference between the RPM heads were the springs & Heli-Coil Inserts ?
Thats why I bought them easy fix for a roller, the way it looks I'm screwed ?

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I was told I would need the springs seats machined in the heads to make room for the taller & stronger springs ?
Maybe their branded springs. Consider you can use anything from single to triple-spring and even tapered beehive springs for flat or rollers. If you want to re-fit for roller-capable springs without any machining, you have to find ones that can meet the spring rate spec's and still fit your head's existing spring seat and guide dimensions. That will usually dictate a single or double spring, possibly different offset retainers or locks, and perhaps a change of valve seal to a thinner type.

David

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I bought the heads when they first came out. Edelbrock told me the only difference between the RPM heads were the springs & Heli-Coil Inserts ?
Thats why I bought them easy fix for a roller, the way it looks I'm screwed ?
So the E street heads do not have the steel heli coil inserts in all the bolt holes?...That is one of the features I liked about the edelbrock heads that I have had..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The E-Street heads just have the inserts in the bolt holes for the rocker studs, thats it...
I had CHP install a Elgin cam http://www.elgincams.com/ & bought a set of Comp lifters.

Let me re-phrase the title "need a good set of HEADS for a 331"

Terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts