Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months ago, my buddy was driving down the road in his 1997 2wd extended cab shortbed F-150 with the 4.2 and auto trans with the one piece drive shaft and the bolts that hold the flat piece of steel where the back u-joint is to the plate on the pinion on the rear end sheared. we dont have a clue why it did this, but yesterday we got out there to try and fix it and all was going well until we put the tranny in neutral and tried to turn the drive shaft. we had it in neutral but it still wouldnt turn and it should slide back and forth some on the tailshaft, but it wont move at all except for the movement allowed by the u-joints. We tried turning the DS with a screwdriver and a pry bar as well as by hand but it wont budge. He told me when he dropped the DS that the driveshaft was still turning and that after he got it towed home he cranked it up and put it in drive to make sure it would still turn good and that he had put it in neutral and killed the motor then put it in park after it had stopped turning. Any help will be appreciated, we're stumped

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
May have a bad or sheered tooth in the ring gear. That could have been what caused it to sheer the bolts to start with. It will rotate some until you get to the bad tooth.

Let us know what you find out. Its always good to know what the real answer is on some of these mysteries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We tried moving the shifter all around, and we haven't had a chance to try to start it up, but like I said, the tail shaft won't move at all and it won't slide in and out like its supposed to, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but Chevrolet didn't make these transmissions did they?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the shifter cable was broken, it wouldn't do all the clicking like it was changing gears would it? And the rear end is fine, I made sure of that because that's what I was thinking was the problem at first, thanks y'all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts