Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok long story short i needed a tran. 65 galaxie with a fxm cruiseomatic it has a removable aluminum bell housing, iron center section and cast tailshaft. Ok ive acquired another trans from same year galaxie except its a column shift and it doesnt have the iron center its all cast with no removable bellhousing. Its marked ford and fits but the shifters totally diff. This tran has 5x imprinted on top so is this an older trans. And is it possible to convert the shift mech. Ive tried researching the 5x caqnt figure if thats the strength or if it makes it a t35 or borg. That uses type f. Any help is greatly appreciated I wwanna get on the road soon. Thanx for readin

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
There are several sites you can use on the web to identify your transmissions, and easiest is to Google for images, or use the link further down. Anyway, depending on what engine you had, a '65 would normally have an FX or MX trans with the cast iron center and aluminum bell and tail housing. The best features of the FX (smaller size) and MX (stronger parts) were combined to create the FMX, but that wasn't until 1968.

As to the one-piece aluminum trans, that's likely a C6, and was not used until (yep) 1966. It was a popular swap in later years to get a stronger trans, and that may be how it got in the other car. If you need a floor-shift version, the shift arm can be flipped 180°, but you will have to remove the pan to do it. Even then, the linkage length may not be correct, so you might have to either replace the arm with the proper version, modify the one you have, or get an aftermarket arm to make it work properly. Don't forget the flex plate and torque converters are also different, the driveshaft length may have to change, and the cross-member may or may not fit the new trans.

The 5X is probably a foundry mold number, and has no significance. In both cases the transmission can be identified by the pan gasket shape, and the small metal tag with the transmission's version code would be the most specific information. Small casting numbers on the bellhousing or case side can also be helpful. They would start with something like C5OE, C6TE, etc.

You might consider repairing the original transmission as the easier route at this point. Using a Ford Shop Manual (FSM) for your year would help you diagnose what is wrong with it, and perhaps allow a simpler or less expensive repair. You know that one fits.

David

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ok long story short i needed a tran. 65 galaxie with a fxm cruiseomatic it has a removable aluminum bell housing, iron center section and cast tailshaft. Ok ive acquired another trans from same year galaxie except its a column shift and it doesnt have the iron center its all cast with no removable bellhousing. Its marked ford and fits but the shifters totally diff. This tran has 5x imprinted on top so is this an older trans. And is it possible to convert the shift mech. Ive tried researching the 5x caqnt figure if thats the strength or if it makes it a t35 or borg. That uses type f. Any help is greatly appreciated I wwanna get on the road soon. Thanx for readin
No CruisOmatic, MX or FMX was made without a removable housing.

Can you show a picture?

The only transmission I can think of is a two speed. This is all aluminum with a one piece case and bell housing.

C6 did not come out until 1966.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts