Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months ago, my buddy was driving down the road in his 1997 2wd extended cab shortbed F-150 with the 4.2 and auto trans with the one piece drive shaft and the bolts that hold the flat piece of steel where the back u-joint is to the plate on the pinion on the rear end sheared. we dont have a clue why it did this, but yesterday we got out there to try and fix it and all was going well until we put the tranny in neutral and tried to turn the drive shaft. we had it in neutral but it still wouldnt turn and it should slide back and forth some on the tailshaft, but it wont move at all except for the movement allowed by the u-joints. We tried turning the DS with a screwdriver and a pry bar as well as by hand but it wont budge. He told me when he dropped the DS that the driveshaft was still turning and that after he got it towed home he cranked it up and put it in drive to make sure it would still turn good and that he had put it in neutral and killed the motor then put it in park after it had stopped turning. Any help will be appreciated, we're stumped

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I would start with jacking the car up on rear housing. Remove the drive shaft from rear end yoke and see if wheels will turn by turnning the yoke with wheels off ground. Then turn drive shaft. You will find out whitch end your trouble is. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts