Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I'm a newbie here, and I hope there isn't already a thread on this. I'm not trying to sell my car here, I just need advice.

I own a 1968 Mustang 289 coupe. Last December, I was rear-ended by an uninsured driver. My own insurance, it turned out, was woefully inadequate (I'd had it for a long time, and was rather naive when I got it as a teenager).

To make this long story short, I can't afford to repair my poor pony. The frame rails need to be replaced, the right rear quarter panel is toast, the bumper is twisted, etc etc etc.

Before the accident, my Mustang was in excellent condition (according to AAA, who sent a guy to estimate it's pre-accident value). Aside from the damage to the rear end, it's still in great shape. The only other problem is the driver's seat upholstry is torn.

How do I sell a car in this condition?

I know it's still worth a lot to the right person. Someone who could repair it themselves, or someone who would part it out.

Some photos:
(Please note: the body color is Meadowlark Yellow, though it often looks offwhite in these photos. Interior is Nugget Gold)

Exterior (relatively old pics, but the car still looked like this before it was hit):
http://www.neovenator.com/cars/mustang/images/10-12_04.jpg
http://www.neovenator.com/cars/mustang/images/10-12_03.jpg
Current '67 style wheels: http://www.neovenator.com/cars/mustang/images/new_wheels.jpg

From the night of the accident:
http://www.neovenator.com/special/sadstang.jpg

ANY advice someone could give would be appreciated. I have no idea where to begin here. I want to find my Mustang a good home, or at least get enough out of it to make a good down-payment on something new.

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I'd like to offer my services to you. I cannot afford it because I never have any friggin money when my damn HORSE COMES HOME!!! I can work out a deal to fix it for or with you. What do you say? I showed my wife the pic of the rear end and I'm up at Travis which is probably only an Hour drive from here, and she said I could have it if I could afford it, because she know's I can repair it...
I'd love to own that thing but can never afford a non broken one... (wife is military and I'm not working yet in Calif.) If you want to see some of the work I have done just PM me and I'll send you a link to the site where I keep my restoration photo's.

Let me know!

FE (Gary)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FEandGoingBroke on 2/28/06 9:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
That isn't a really hard repair?!?!? Panels and Rail's are pretty cheap.....or why not just pro-street it?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Don't tell him that! I want it really bad! LOL... Waiting for my ship to come in and you go and bust me by telling him it's cheaper to fix than it looks...
... (actually I told him the damage isn't soooo terrible it couldn'e be fixed reasonably... and I only live an hour away I could do it for him and he can keep the car...)

FE

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
It would be fixable for someone with skill and tools, FE, you could do it no problem.

For the kid though, it'd be a hassle, tools, and experience wise most likely.

I bet you could get someone to take it for half resale.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Sorry !! LOL This guy probably went to some way over priced body shop / custom shop and go bent over........ Pimp my ride or Whips.....
They are trying to sell him a $20k paint job !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still here, just didn't have time to reply yesterday.

The main reason I can't fix it myself is lack of a garage. I live in an apartment complex, and there just isn't enough room in my little parking space to do any real work, nor would I want to leave the car out overnight if I couldn't finish the work in a day. I also don't have the knowledge or experience to do this sort of work. I know the front end pretty well (engine, suspension, etc), but this is very different and I don't want to make this situation any worse.

FE, thanks for the offer, but at this point I think I'd rather just find it a new home. I've enjoyed the car immensely, but I can't afford a gas-guzzler anymore. I need something a little more sensible for a while, before I can think about getting a new pony or muscle car (those new Mustangs are sooooo nice
).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whups! I've really got to keep track of responses.

I'm hoping for $5,000. The majority of the car is still in excellent shape. If someone were able to repair the rear end themselves, they would either end up with a fantastic car for cheap, or they could sell it and make a NICE profit off it.

Of course, I'm open to negotiations. I mainly want the car to go to a good home.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I bet you can get that for it, with all the Barret Jackson frenzy going on. If its mechanically sound other than the rear panels being crunched, theres someone out there willing to put out 5,000.

Try putting it on craigslist for 5,000 and see if you get any bites, if nothing, you know you're way too high, and you can come down. Great thing about that is, you don't have to sell it for the offers.

You can always put a reserve on it on ebay, but that costs you money even if it doesn't sell.

Good luck with it, hate to see that car get neglected over a few bent panels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
COME ON GUYS! DO THE CARGUY THING. THROUGH IT OUT THERE. FOR SALE 5000.00 OR INTERESTING TRADES? WHO KNOWS THERE MAY BE SOMEONE WHO'S SICK OF DRIVEING THERE TUNER CAR.AND YOUR RIGHT ASSUMEING NO RUST IT WOULD BE A GOOD FIX. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR ADVENTURE. JOE

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think the asking price is a little high for a standard coupe with that damage-IMO. Although it's a nice car otherwise. If it was a GT, fastback, or convert...it would be sold already.

The people with the skills to fix those problems (at least doing a good job) will only purchase those cars for a bargain price. The two biggest issues I face when buying a classic car are the amount and severity of rust and major bodywork.

I think he should listed the car at his initial asking price and see what happens, but be prepared for the outcome.

This reminds me of a '67 aqua colored coupe on Craigslist (Sacramento) that was for sale for around $3000 a few weeks back. It looked like it had a solid body from the pics and I figure it would be sold that day, but after relisting it for a couple of weeks and finally revealing a new pic of the quarterpanel damage...explained why it was not sold yet.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Sounds pretty steep to me for a 289 coupe that needs a new quarter panel at least.It's hard to say without seeing it in person though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts