Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am hoping some of you might be able to help me with a possible purchase I am contemplating. Follows is what I know about the car (price is $4,000):

1971 Mercury Montego MX 4dr
- 351 Cleveland 2V Rebuild
- 750 cfm Edelbrock carb, also included is a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb.
- 1500 rpm Edelbrock package( cam, intake, timing chain, fuel pump)
- MSD Ignition and 8 mm wires
- Aluminum radiator
- Edelbrock highflow water pump
- Holley High volume oil pump
- C4 Transmission rebuild with shift kit and 2000rpm stall converter
- Gas tank was removed cleaned and coated
- Magnaflow X 2.5" dual muffler exhaust system
- Reuphostered interior and trunk silver/ gray
- Rebuild front and rear brakes
- New tires 9" rear 6"front

Problems/needs:
- DOOR HANDLES - It is missing all 4 door handles, I have been searching and have not been able to find a store that sells complete door handles (especially the rear ones).
- Paint job
- Suspension needs to be replaced eventually
- Molding (missing molding here and there).
- You have to hold the shifter up in order to start the car without it going into reverse. Not sure how hard/easy this would be to fix?
- there are a few other issues but nothing major that I could see (absolutely no rust that I could find, always a CA car).

Any input you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Follows is a link to pictures on flikr, hopefully this works; http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4219998954/in/photostream/

John

·
Registered
346 Posts
I paid to much for my current project car, because the emotional part of me fell in love with it, and I had to have it. That said, if you love it, and know you'll love it in a year and KNOW you'll need to dump some $$ into it, then it's for you. Classic cars are a very personal thing.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
When I read your post I was werry being it was a 4 door and the price as well a 2 barrel. After looking at the car it looks very good . I love a 4 door car where some maynot. 4 doors are coming into the picture moreso than many years back below a 2 door. Car has some goodies and personaly I like it. Color combo is cool looking. As stated beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if it suits your fancy then buy it. I always ask other peoples opinion when I am wishy washy on any item in mind for sale but the car has to please the one buying it. Keep in mind however the more money you place into that car it still is a 4 door and a resale down the road has to be a person who fancies a 4 door as well. Gona keep it and you like it then there ya go, good luck and nice car however.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I have a strong penchant for 4 door vehicles.

The guy selling this Montego is asking about $1200 too much.

It's incomplete that's a bad deal, it's a 4 door (to the rest of the world that's an adopted child) which is more disturubing...

But the Good parts are the interior was done in a not so bad fashion. The engine bay looks decent, but the paint job could be crap, hard to tell from the low quality pictures, and I cannot see the arm for the column shifter.

For only $3K more you could nail this bad ass 71 MX 2 door that's already complete... Classic! Mercury Montego MX 1971.

Offer $3800 and take the car and go, but I still think that's a little high.

·
Registered
346 Posts
FE is right, the price is too high, but we're assuming you'll knock the seller down too. There are a lot of nice Montegos and Torinos out there all the time on Craigslist. A Cleveland 2bbl is worth less, but also is nicer to have as a daily driver. Here's an example of a car you could get for probably $1k more.

1970 ford torino

So, the deals are out there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Too many red flags with this car. Missing door handles. Missing steering wheel pieces. The duct tape looks like it was covering the rear window (leaking?). Missing signal lenses in quarters and fenders.

And, as others have stated, the price is too high. Especially when you look at what else is out there at similar prices.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I did not purchase the car. I did a lot of looking and research and believe as many of you stated that the car is just not priced right (being that there are a lot of issues with the car). I think I will continue looking and try to find one that is further along in the restore process, will cost more upfront but probably save a ton down the road.

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts