Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, as you know I've got my "PS" back the other day with the exhaust done and I've been driving it around a bit without any problems but I do have some issues to deal with. I'm still running the stk. Motorcraft 2150 2V carb and it seems that when I fire it up the first time with the engine cold it doesn't want to idle, it dies right away. I have to keep my foot on the throttle a bit to keep the engine running so it doesn't stall. The choke does come on and I do have some fast idle happening after around 15-20 secs. of keeping the engine running and also when I put it in gear there is some hesitation when pulling away. When the engine is warmed up everything's fine, idles no problem.

Any ideas and/or tips as to how to setup the choke and fast idle on this carb? Would having too much of an exhaust system affect how the carb is working with the stk. 351W engine? For those that aren't familiar with my setup now I have a stk. 351W engine out of a 77 Granada with Hooker LT's 1 3/4" tubes going into a 3in" mandrel bend dual exhaust system. The exhaust is done now for my stage 2 engine which I will build in the near future. Any advice on getting this carb to work with a cold engine would be great. TIA.

Tony

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Are you pumping the throttle before startup to activate the choke?If the carb needs some setup I have seen specs in a Chilton manual on the exact setup for a specific carb.Your probably running a little lean with your headers and free flowing exhaust and the cold weather will only make this problem worse.Hopefully we'll get some nice weather again soon and you won't have to worry about it until you get your four barrel.You could try turning the little black cover on the side of the choke to make the choke come on a little sooner and stay on a little longer.When it gets warm out you may have to back it off again to prevent flooding on startup.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 4/29/02 7:38am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I pump it once and the choke comes on (watched it with AF off car) and the car starts right away but if I don't keep my foot on the throttle a bit it will stall right away. After 15-20 secs I can slowly let my foot off the gas and it will have somewhat of a fast idle. As you can tell while all this is happening my fuel guage is heading for the big E while I'm sitting there not going anywhere.

When this engine was in the parts car it was the same thing. Made me think that the cold start setup with this carb was messed up bad even before I got the car. It would be nice to have this carb working like it should, fires up with fast idle for a few secs, rev the engine once, fast idle comes down a step on the cam then you should be able to drive away and as the engine warms up you get your nice normal idle a few mins later. I'm sure you know what I mean.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.