Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my leaks fixed, my clutch issues resolved, and many other little irratables out of the way. Now I have a dilema, I put a 3" K/N filter in my Cobra aircleaner, I knew I would need to make modification to my hood or by a cowl or shelby hood for a 65. My question is should I cut a hole in my original 65 hood ( I am confidant I can make it look good ) or should I invest into a fiberglass hood, takeing into consideration the cost and potential poor quality of glass hoods.
On one hand I have a good hood and cutting the hole would not cost me anything, the other hand says that is going to be a bad thing cutting up an original hood.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You cant fit a 3" filter under your hood? I would go with a droped base. Scour the junkyards for one, I hear GM had some really good flowing ones. Or you can buy a new one.

What size filter did you have before? Is your base already a droped one? Are you running a carb spacer? What size?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't do it, unless you have your heart set on that 3" filter. The taller filter isn't gaining you enough to justify ruining a good hood or shelling out big bucks for an aftermarket hood. In the latest issue of "Carcraft" magazine they did an extensive comparo between seven different size of K&N filter elements. All tests were done on the same big block, they just changed filter elements between dyno runs. The 14 x 3" gave the poorest results (518hp), and the best performer was the 14 x 2 1/4" element with a 7/8" drop base (522hp). Thats 2" more clearence. Running without a filter element yeilded 519hp, and all seven runs were within a few hp of each other. Cowl hoods look cool, but you'll loose some of your stealth and a lot of "greenbacks".

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't do it, unless you have your heart set on that 3" filter. The taller filter isn't gaining you enough to justify ruining a good hood or shelling out big bucks for an aftermarket hood. In the latest issue of "Carcraft" magazine they did an extensive comparo between seven different size of K&N filter elements. All tests were done on the same big block, they just changed filter elements between dyno runs. The 14 x 3" gave the poorest results (518hp), and the best performer was the 14 x 2 1/4" element with a 7/8" drop base (522hp). Thats 2" more clearence. Running without a filter element yeilded 519hp, and all seven runs were within a few hp of each other. Cowl hoods look cool, but you'll loose some of your stealth and a lot of "greenbacks".

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose what it comes down to is cut up the original hood because I dont want to take a chance on getting screwed on a glass hood, it is not so much the cost of the hood but the quality and fit. I think I will wait for the swap meet in april maybe I will get lucky and find a glass hood cheaper than new. I dont think I want to cut up my factory hood yet.

BTW I run a Cobra oval air cleaner 100+$, K/N 3" filter 80$, I will work around those pieces because that is what I wanted, I will find a solution to my problem. I always do.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
doh! forgot it was a oval aircleaner. How close is it? Is it hitting the bracing or the skin of the hood? If its just the brace, a little creative trimming wouldnt hurt.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The air cleaner falls in between the braceing at both ends of the hood, almost a perfect fit except that the hood is about 3/4" from closing all the way, I dont need much, I think I will get the 65/66 GT350 hood, I called Maier and they measured the hood for me and it sounds like the air cleaner will fit perfectly in the scoop of the hood. I just need to get permission now to buy it. She has been pretty damn patient with me and the money I have spent in recent months, I dont know if I can get away with another 600$ or so for a hood, 380$ for the hood, 90$ shipping, hood hinges, prop rod, hood pin kit, etc.etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts