Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need bellhousing help

Hey all im a newbie to this forum stuff but no one seems to answer my questions i have bought a 351 c to install into my 65 mustang i took the shock towers out with the ifs kit i have a early 289 now with a 5 bolt bell housing will this work with my new 351 c or do i need a later model bell housing?

·
Registered
659 Posts
need bellhousing help

the 5 bolt bell will not work. I think the 351c's were big block bolt pattern.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
need bellhousing help

The 5 bolt bell will not work. The 351c is not big block pattern. You can use any 6 bolt bellhousing, same as from 289, 302, 351w as well as the tranmission, clutch and 28 oz flywheels.

I see, you have a C4 automatic. You can change the bell on the automatic. Same above appies but be careful when unbolting the old bellhousing from the auto tranny. Actually, I'd recommend having a shop do the swap for you. I saw a guy mess up a rebuilt tranny buy trying to remove the bellhousing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: latamud on 11/25/06 10:38am ]</font>

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
need bellhousing help

i already have the bell housing apart did the rebuild myself using the b&m kit done quit a few for 289 motors just never done a 351 c thanks for the help by the way if i go to the 6 bolt do i need a 164 tooth flywheel or can i stay with the 157?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
need bellhousing help

The 6 bolt bell housing can be either 157 tooth or 164 tooth. You can use either one as long as you use the corresponding flex plate.
You will find that a 164 tooth bellhousing will work better with the 351C. The reason is because the 157 tooth bell will have starter clearence problems with the clevelands wider oil pan rail. The 157 tooth bell and flex plate works okay if you run a mini starter. If you intend to run a stock "large" starter, then the 164 tooth flex and bell is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
need bellhousing help

No. Don't confuse a 5 bolt bell with a 6 bolt 157 tooth bell.

The early 289s had only 5 bolts to hold the trans to the engine. Later 289,302, 351W and 351C had 6 bolts. It's a different pattern. You HAVE to use a 6 bolt bell on your 351C. The 157 vs. 164 tooth count flex plate is what you need to decide on. 6 bolt bells can be either size.

The good news is that 5 bolt bells sell for pretty good money on Ebay, so if you decide to sell yours you will make some money and have more than enough to buy the bell you need.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
need bellhousing help

well i have two bellhousings so thanks for the info know just to find a 6 bolt bellhousing thanks again

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
need bellhousing help

what about swapping to a aod tranny will this work or do ineed to do exstensive work

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
need bellhousing help

I've never done the AOD swap, but I think the AODs all use 164 tooth flex plate. Shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts