Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short, guy I work with has an 88 F150 with a 5.0 and duraspark dizzy.

He said it was pingin under load, this guy doesn't know much about wrenching on cars so I said I would bring in my timing light and check his timing.

I get the light on and I can't read the balancer since it's old. So I just decied to retard the timing by turning the dizzy.

So I retard it and he takes it for a drive, says it's better but still pinging a little. I get in there to retard it more and after starting it up it's running like crap so I say shut it down and I'll advance it some.

I go to turn the dizzy clockwise and it won't budge, engine was hot so I said let's just let it cool first.

I come back out and I am able to turn it by grabing a hold of the electronic plug part sticking out of the bottom of the dizzy.

we go to start it and now no spark, won't start. I checked it with the timing light and nothing. I changed coil wires and that didn't help. I also checked for spark at the coil and there was none.

What did I do??? I need to fix this guys truck for him and I have no ideal. I checked all the wires and everything is good. I'm thinking it has something to do with the portion of the dizzy that the plug connects into, I may have pulled on it too hard; that's all I can think of..

Please someone point me in the right direction so I can fix this guys truck for him tomorrow

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
get an ohm meter and check for continuity (sp) between the wires coming out of the distributor.....
If it's open, well theres your problem

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Probably the pickup coil inside the distributor, they do go bad. Also the Duraspark box may not be gronded well, ground is via screw terminal connection inside distributor.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Make sure the coil inside the distributor is not touching the reluctor (star shaped gizmo on the distributor shaft).
There should me a small gap between the two.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the ignition module. when I pulled on it to turn the dist. the chip inside cracked. Thanks though for the help.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2006-08-19 18:06, gork1rogues wrote:
That's a TFI distributor then....
Oh, I didn't know there was a difference, I'm not very fimiliar with duraspark distributors but since it's a 5.0 I figured it was a duraspark. So they used the TFI system on the trucks and Duraspark on the mustangs?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Any of the distributors with the grey/black module on the side or even a remote one that uses a hall's effect sensor inside instead of the normal (old style) pickup. You can tell by popping the cap and seeing it having a big wheel with openings on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts